Android users unite!

htc legend user here! running on 2.1 but thinking of rooting. anyone got any good websites to guide me? and also can i unroot it if i need to send it back for servicing?

htc legend user here! running on 2.1 but thinking of rooting. anyone got any good websites to guide me? and also can i unroot it if i need to send it back for servicing?

xda dev are the best in the game i think:think:

I think if someone released the official ROM, you can flash that to "unroot" it. Not very sure though, haven't tried rooting yet cuz I don't really have a need to since Samsung released an official 2.1 update, and 2.2 doesn't have that much changes to make me desperate enough to root the phone.

Yeah, no Push mail for Hotmail but the E-Mail app can be configured to check your Hotmail account on a regular basis.

no push mail is sian means i cannot delete mail leh. but nevermind, i just load the webby with a quick link.

Any of you guys in the Swype beta program?

me!

Can you guys list down some points of what you like and don't like about Android? I'm having a hard time choosing between the iPhone4 and HTC Desire. :sweat:

Android being open source has more options for handphone hardware. look at HTC Evo 4g , Droid X, the rumored Nexus Two ;p Apple as usual, has more integration since it controls all aspects of hardware and software, more unified. If u dun care about choices, then apple is easy. ( Apple controls things so much somehow they left Adobe Flash and java support behind - they would not want anyone to buy apps based on Flash platform would they ).

There are many more advantages and disadvantages of an open vs closed systems ( which looks almost like a PC vs Mac thing to me ) but with their differing competition means to achieve the same aim. U probably will not get too shortchanged with aps, since Apple got a great headstart and since google themselves are service providers, they provide their interesting google stuffs for iphone as well.

so far i dun like :
- cannot push hotmail
- no initial document reader ( at least for my nexus ), i remember the two previous times when i used WM platform, the packaged word / excel were handy aps to have. U have to pay for similar applications on android ( heck some charge for just reading the documents ... )
- while the google nexus is pretty compatible with android OS updates, the other android phones will get little delays ( i think )

still got some nitty points that i cannot recall, but i still love the android platform.

ryan

Using milestone, the inbuilt graphic is good, if you don't consider short battery life. Waiting to change 2.2 with the new motorola 2ghz processor phone releasing in EOY.

Waiting to change 2.2 with the new motorola 2ghz processor phone releasing in EOY.

Looking forward to see the 2GHz Android monster as well. i wonder who is going to make the chip for them. Qualcomm and Nvidia dual cores cannot hit 2 GHz mark yet.

ryan

Gonna get Android phone and ditch my BlackBerry soon! Thinking of waiting for EVO4 or get Desire tho. How you all think?

Gonna get Android phone and ditch my BlackBerry soon! Thinking of waiting for EVO4 or get Desire tho. How you all think?

is EVO4 coming to sg any time soon? currently only available in US market, and it is not compatible with our network here.

just get a Desire! :devil:

Tried my friend's blackberry before. The push mail function is one up ahead. Otherwise android websurfing kicks bbass. Heh

tried to boot andriod via haret on hd2. someone i screwed up my phone

so far i dun like :
- cannot push hotmail
- no initial document reader ( at least for my nexus ), i remember the two previous times when i used WM platform, the packaged word / excel were handy aps to have. U have to pay for similar applications on android ( heck some charge for just reading the documents ... )
- while the google nexus is pretty compatible with android OS updates, the other android phones will get little delays ( i think )

So does that mean to read/write MS Words/Excel docs I'll need to buy an apps? If so this will be a big consideration as I use Excel quite often on my current WM phone.

Also, how about Chinese sms? Can do simplified/traditional Chinese? And for English text input, any hand writing input available?

I just went to Starhub just now to look at the Android phones. Originally eyeing the HTC Desire, but the pricing of the Motorola Milestone XT is quite attractive at only $298 for cheaper plans, and after deducting the "deflect" discount (changing over to Starhub from other service providers) of $100, will cost only $198. :lovegrin: But the Milestone's hardware specs (processor at 600MHz & 256MB ram) can't compare to the Desire's processor though. What's interesting is that the Milestone XT has HDMI output and can display images on TV.

Last edited:
So does that mean to read/write MS Words/Excel docs I'll need to buy an apps? If so this will be a big consideration as I use Excel quite often on my current WM phone.

Also, how about Chinese sms? Can do simplified/traditional Chinese? And for English text input, any hand writing input available?

I just went to Starhub just now to look at the Android phones. Originally eyeing the HTC Desire, but the pricing of the Motorola Milestone is quite attractive at only $298 for cheaper plans, and after deducting the "defect" discount (changing over to Starhub from other service providers) of $100, will cost only $198. :lovegrin: But the Milestone's processor at 600MHz can't compare to the Desire's processor though.

there are... cough cough... cough... ways... cough cough. to not... cough cough cough. pay for cough cough cough. stuff. cough cough cough.

Currently considering btw the Samsung Galaxy S and HTC Desire/Legend. Love the AMOLED screen on the Galaxy, but kinda prefer HTC's interface. Any suggestions on which?

I'm up for phone update on Singtel and the Galaxy is slighty cheaper than the Desire but Samsung phones are fragile according to friends in the semicon reliability field. Not sure about HTC build-quality.

anyone using motorola milestone?

motorolla milestone user... i do agree the battery life is short! am using "Advanced task killer" application to shut down functions that am not using but are, by default, on... these are the ones that eats the battery!

managed to keep from recharging for 2 days, good enough! other than that... i love this phone, coz i don't like a full touchscreen phone. when the touchscreen conks out, a keypad is always a good alternative!;)

I've actually come to the decision that until the magicians at XDA can root and load custom firmware on an Android phone, I'm not buying it. :D

motorolla milestone user... i do agree the battery life is short! am using "Advanced task killer" application to shut down functions that am not using but are, by default, on... these are the ones that eats the battery!

managed to keep from recharging for 2 days, good enough! other than that... i love this phone, coz i don't like a full touchscreen phone. when the touchscreen conks out, a keypad is always a good alternative!;)

2 days seems fine, i thought most iphone users had to charge nearly everyday?

Regarding stuff like how to root the phones and certain hacks and apps stuff can visit this site (http://www.ipmart-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=800).

I've actually come to the decision that until the magicians at XDA can root and load custom firmware on an Android phone, I'm not buying it. :D

Rooted my phone quite sometime ago and read the OS soruce code and it is petty much a rip from linux since the motorola E680 (there is even the same bin and telnet function:eek:, no wonder before 2.2 is out, you can usb tether) with add on java platform for it to perform like a combine of linux and symbian phone. Highly hackable and definately open source (pity IPhone programmers).

The phone choice of a techie should not be by brand and look design. But rather functions, performance and customability of the phone. Unless he is a hardcore fan of a certain brand...

Regarding stuff like how to root the phones and certain hacks and apps stuff can visit this site (http://www.ipmart-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=800).

Rooted my phone quite sometime ago and read the OS soruce code and it is petty much a rip from linux since the motorola E680 (there is even the same bin and telnet function:eek:, no wonder before 2.2 is out, you can usb tether) with add on java platform for it to perform like a combine of linux and symbian phone. Highly hackable and definately open source (pity IPhone programmers).

The phone choice of a techie should not be by brand and look design. But rather functions, performance and customability of the phone. Unless he is a hardcore fan of a certain brand...

totally agree with you! :thumbsup: