% and presentability of photos submitted to clients

i am not a pro nor am i in the business, but from a customer's viewpoint, it seems reasonable to want to have all the photos back, unless the contract is clear as day this will not be the case. after all, what may be good to you may be not good to them (for irrational reasons, even), and what may be bad to you may be special to them. so it may not totally be about kiasu mentality, though the point that many people are just not discerning is noted. from the photographer's viewpoint, i suppose one doesn't want to dilute the value of his work by pretending the not-so-good shots should make the final cut. however, the customer is indeed paying for a service...

i get what you meant. i think i will say the same thing before i start photography... but since I have started, I tell myself to only give the best. Those cannot make it ones will be deleted. I just cannot imaging myself giving those cmi ones to even my tfcd clients. All those pro pg does it the same way as far as i know. I amnot saying i am good, but to me, this should be the way.

i guess if you wan to start earning even a part of your income thru photography, u will think this way.

:)

all business conduct business in a way to protect themselves for survival, pg should not be different. in fact they are more vulnerable now than before.

just some humble opinion from a newbie.

:)

i know some very good pg who will shoot hundreds of pics, and just chose 2-3. and those 2-3 really gives great impact!

Does LV or Gucci tell ya how many handbags they make in total, and how many meet the stringent quality?

As you say he just want to know how many photos he expected to get, so anything else is irrelevant no? Cos u can black and white commit X range of shots delivered.

How you do it is up to you no?

I tot the customers is just trying to be pushy... after u tell him that, maybe he ask ya wat camera u use, how many camera you use, how many flash, blah blah blah...

Of cos they can also ask for ALL photos, but I guess end of day, is matter of price, does he have the budget to pay first?

Just for fun, i tot I read an article something like those professional photographers, the photographs u get to see and taken ratio is something like 1 in 100 or 200. hahaha

A long time ago, I used to be engaged by Event Co and fan clubs to shoot stuff like South Korean stars etc. (btw, low paying, eg $350 for 2hrs long, but usually you need to arrive much earlier to jostle for space vs the media and stay on sometimes to do a complete job). Esp for the fan club, what they want is everything, literally everything. Same question, did you return us everything? I told them some shots are not usable, they said no issue. Soi I showed OOF shots, and a particular shot of the arm pit hair, hey they like it! So never say never.....

Esp for the fan club, what they want is everything, literally everything. Soi I showed OOF shots, and a particular shot of the arm pit hair, hey they like it!

this must be a fetish fan club :bsmilie:

Hi there,

Hope to hear from the experienced events photographers here on the following 3 items:

1. If your clients ask you how many photos you took in all during their event, will you give them an honest answer? Especially if in the end the total no. of photos delivered to them was only fraction of everything that was shot. This is of course done so that when they show all these good photos to their frens etc.. chances of getting referrals are higher. VS when they show everything from the event, some good, some bad.
Firstly you need to delineate. If you are shooting digitally then it's none of their business how many shots you take.

However if you are shooting on film (yes it is still used) then the normal deal for clients is to agree on a number of rolls of film will be shot in advance of the event, eg 30 rolls x 36 exposure.
2. What is a decent % or ratio of delivered shots to captured shots as an event photographer? I have covered my first 2 events so far. For the first, I delivered 90 / 200 and for the second I delivered 200 / 600. Both clients say too little photos... One was a birthday party (3hrs). Another was ROM followed by dinner reception (4 hrs).
With digital the ratio is not critical, but honestly if you are wanting a long life in the industry you should be aiming for a keeper ratio of at least 60%. The higher the keeper ratio (shots you will keep after batching) then the more likely you are to be able to concentrate on getting absolute killer shots (money shots) that stop the client dead in their tracks with 'wow' factor.
3. If your client demands for ALL photos captured from the event, regardless good or bad, what is the industry practice here to handle such requests?
Others have covered Singapore better than I can.

One thing I can't stress enough is that the better you shoot and previsualise, and come to grips with exposure theory and aquire, beg borrow or steal good timing (it's innate, you either have it or your don't) and so on the better your keeper ratio will be.

Digital imaging hasn't really improved standards of photography, it's just allowed more people to produce billions of mediocre images and then PhotoShop F*#k out them and produce what they consider to be masterpieces. That I'm afraid is not photography, it's graphic art...

Digital imaging hasn't really improved standards of photography, it's just allowed more people to produce billions of mediocre images and then PhotoShop F*#k out them and produce what they consider to be masterpieces. That I'm afraid is not photography, it's graphic art...

Dear "Ang Moh from Hell" :)
I agree with all that you wrote, personally, I am specific in the SA thus the issue should not arise. On another point (more of a personal rant I think): You can define it and call it what you like, :) as long as: the client is happy, they call you again for another event, they recommend you further on...

For my case, I will quote "Min. X images returned in printed DVD".

So long as they agree and i return X + Y, more than X by a noticeable margin, they won't complain. But die die don't have enough, vomit out X, still ok. :thumbsup:

just tell them during film time is 1 hour 1 roll = 36 images
no of photos = hours x 36

period

just tell them during film time is 1 hour 1 roll = 36 images
no of photos = hours x 36

period

Hahahahaha this has to be the best joke post I've ever read, 1 roll one hour my arts....