Am I being conned? Or it's worth buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
madwolfnemesis said:
Anyway, I like it alot and he's very friendly, that's why bought from him...

It is his job to be friendly. It is his job to sell things to you (you have to admit that he did succeed).

Of course, what he actually sold may not be what you need & his approach may be misleading. In such situations, it is still 'caveat emptor', as you were not pressurized into purchasing it (not like the time-share sales tactics) or subjected to duress.

It is not easy to do research on your own, especially if you are a newbie. Suggest that you bring a friend who has been a long time hobbyist in future. Not only can your friend help you in choosing, he/she can bring you to the better known shops.

madwolfnemesis said:
I got the following from Worldwide Cameras @ Peninsula:

Canon 350D with KIT @ S$1760 NETT
30L DRY Cabinet @ S$99 NETT
58mm Polariser Lens @ S$20 NETT
Vitacon Wide Angle Macro LENS (0.42X) @ S$250 NETT
58mm UV Lens (FREE)
Camera Pouch @ S$25 NETT

All in all, I paid S$2150 NETT after a bit of deductions...

My question is, I am not sure if the macro lens is so expensive... but the uncle looks trustworthy, that's y I got from them... please advise..

Yes, in my opinion you were not given the best professional advice.
I will not go so far as to say you were cheated.
After all this is sales.
Let the buyer beware.
He did not cheat you.
He recommended to you the stuff that was .... (well, in our opinion, the "macro" Vitacon was CRAP).

But if you told the salesman you had a certain budget, then he tries to fit that budget and recommend you stuff to meet your needs.
So we must also be fair to the salesman.

Where in the world is "worldwide camera"
I have been to Peninsula countless times and never noticed this shop.

A pro-grade shop will never recommend something like Vitacon.
Actually it is not a macro lens. It is a wide angle converter for Video that also can be split into two parts for macro.
The quality of this Vitacon is very very low. Sorry.

By the way, real macro lenses are VERY expensive.
Especially the well known brands.
A few hundred dollars is normal for cheaper brand macro lenses.
Leica 100 Apo Macro lens can cost $4000+.

Macro can be achieved using just a standard lens by
1) close up filters
2) extension tubes
3) reversing the lens
4) bellows
5) stacking the lenses

Next time before you buy, ask clubsnap member first or ask them to accompany you to the shop.

if u hv the spare cash .. go and trade in for a real macro lens

The Vitacon seems quite highly priced

I felt this Worldwide Camera shop is a blacklisted shop? The uncle like Bao gong, friendly meh? It is at the outside of Peninsula Plaza, facing Peninsula shopping centre...

$1760 for 350D is quite a good price. I asked Peninsula CP yesterday and they quoted me $1820. :sweat:

ricohflex said:
Yes, in my opinion you were not given the best professional advice.
I will not go so far as to say you were cheated.
After all this is sales.
Let the buyer beware.
He did not cheat you.
He recommended to you the stuff that was .... (well, in our opinion, the "macro" Vitacon was CRAP).

But if you told the salesman you had a certain budget, then he tries to fit that budget and recommend you stuff to meet your needs.
So we must also be fair to the salesman.

Where in the world is "worldwide camera"
I have been to Peninsula countless times and never noticed this shop.

A pro-grade shop will never recommend something like Vitacon.
Actually it is not a macro lens. It is a wide angle converter for Video that also can be split into two parts for macro.
The quality of this Vitacon is very very low. Sorry.

By the way, real macro lenses are VERY expensive.
Especially the well known brands.

Macro can be achieved using just a standard lens by
1) close up filters
2) extension tubes
3) reversing the lens
4) bellows
5) stacking the lenses

Next time before you buy, ask clubsnap member first or ask them to accompany you to the shop.

Thanks alot for all the advices, really appreciated...

The shop is facing opposite Peninsula Hotel, quite a small shop anyway...

Well... you're right that I shouldn't blame the owner but rather myself for not doing more research before going down... anyway, I dun have friends in photography, that's why I'm all by myself, ha~

Well, will consult the forum-goers next time before I make another purchase for my lens. Thanks alot!

Since you have already bought the items, just go on lor. Why bother to know whether you have paid a extorting price for it or not? Afterall, the shop didn't treaten you to buy, and you paid for it willingly. Most important now is how to make use of the items to maximise your photographic enjoyment.
Cheers.

ricohflex said:

I can count on you to quote that. That is VERY high end. :D :D :D

madwolfnemesis said:
All in all, I paid S$2150 NETT after a bit of deductions...

Perhaps you had paid a little more. Buying stuff give and take lor, once in a while you will have some good buy and some not. I believe the RRP for 350D is $1999, so you are NOT that far off.

Bottomline, enjoy your new toy. :D

if you can, try to return to the shop with the vitacon and exchange for a 50mm f/1.8 (about ~$150-170)and some close up filters.. if not.. just try to make the most out of what you have.

madwolfnemesis said:
Thanks alot for all the advices, really appreciated...

The shop is facing opposite Peninsula Hotel, quite a small shop anyway...

Well... you're right that I shouldn't blame the owner but rather myself for not doing more research before going down... anyway, I dun have friends in photography, that's why I'm all by myself, ha~

Well, will consult the forum-goers next time before I make another purchase for my lens. Thanks alot!

I hope he gave you the warranty card (with dealer stamp) for your 350D..

Anyway, a fairly cheap alternative for shooting macros would be double-elements close-up filters like the Nikon 6T or Hoya Close-up filters.
And also, you can use extension tubes. A cheap set would be the Triplus extension tube set going for $190 at Cathay. It's essentially the same as the Kenko so don't bother paying extra for the Kenko set..

yanyewkay said:
if you can, try to return to the shop with the vitacon and exchange for a 50mm f/1.8 (about ~$150-170)and some close up filters.. if not.. just try to make the most out of what you have.
i think that this is a good idea... a 50f1.8mkII is always a good lense to have in your arsenal. if you want to try using it for some closeup shots, like what Firefox suggested, Triplus extension tube set (3 tubes for $190) would make a good set.

not only might this be more useful to you (not to mention better image quality), they are easier to sell off if ever you want to let them go!! but before you do anything and top up even more, try talking to some photography friends to get a better sense of what equipement is best for you - camera grip, other lense, accessories, etc...

as for warranty card - hope that your package included the warranty card. newbies often are not familiar with the different warranty status. some sets are sold without warranty - these are usually export sets, which do not come into the country through the authorised dealers, and hence to not have the official local warranty (also known as "grey" sets), but they are usually sold at a slightly cheaper price. you can probably get warranted sets at around $1760-$1820 (Lords, MSColor, CP)... just hoping that your set is also with warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.