Airport Xray scanners effects on film

come to think of it, i think the scanner at singapore flyer was the one that fogged up my tri-x 400..

anyone had similar problems?

I shot a roll of 200 or 400 on the flyer before, didn't have any fogging issues...

Just came back from Shanghai, got my film x-rayed about 4-5 times (even on shanghai's MRT some places ask you to x-ray)... no issues

Pulling up an old thread. Anyone tried with fuji instax films? I'm heading to Japan and was hoping to bring in more instant films from there.

Pulling up an old thread. Anyone tried with fuji instax films? I'm heading to Japan and was hoping to bring in more instant films from there.

I brought instax films when I went to phuket and australia...no problem at all..

I brought instax films when I went to phuket and australia...no problem at all..

thanks! I supposed you hand-carried them? Was it put through the xray machine? Or just checked without xray?

changi airport's scanners are rated 'film safe'.. as plastered on the machines themselves..

They were really nice to accept my request to check the film by hand (all 50 rolls!) and it was embarassingly slow.. think it pissed off those queuing behind me.

no such luck elsewhere so didn't bother requesting after..

the best is to keep all other film in ur baggage n put in cargo, juz hand carry about 3-5 films when taking flight to avoid long Q time. i brought 30 films for my 2 weeks europe tour, from singapore to london-paris-barcelona-liverpool-london n back to singapore, hell how many x-ray have all the films gone thru, hehehe.

send to grace optical, all pics processed n scan to cd and turn out all ok.

various film from iso 25 to iso 800.

p.s im the one that have gone thru metal detector that is going crazy..hehehe.

hi all,

digging up an old thread again as well.. am going to cambodia in a week's time, planning to bring some iso 3200 film over. so far the thread has been assuring for film isos even up to 1600, but not 3200..

am asking has anyone brought iso 3200 film across airport scanners before and it remained not fogged? if fogged, what are the effects/how bad is it in the negative?

other than requesting for hand check and lead-bag (which i will not adopt la.. scared cause unnecesary trouble with the security), is there any other method of safely bringing across the film? unless of course i let it go through the xray but how, will it affect/fog up or not :(

thanks!

hi all,

digging up an old thread again as well.. am going to cambodia in a week's time, planning to bring some iso 3200 film over. so far the thread has been assuring for film isos even up to 1600, but not 3200..

am asking has anyone brought iso 3200 film across airport scanners before and it remained not fogged? if fogged, what are the effects/how bad is it in the negative?

other than requesting for hand check and lead-bag (which i will not adopt la.. scared cause unnecesary trouble with the security), is there any other method of safely bringing across the film? unless of course i let it go through the xray but how, will it affect/fog up or not :(

thanks!

don't worry, it'll be fine.. had delta 3200 with me all ard europe.. >10x scan still turned out fine..

thanks for the reassurance, pixelbrain. yes, will be bringing delta 3200 itself on the trip haha..

after all the xray machines really no fogging/marks at all on the final negatives? it didnt get even more grainy than it already is?

u put it in hand luggage and let them xray it, not the check in luggage right?

thanks!

It really depends on the XRay machine. Most, since years ago are film safe, which means that most normal speed films should be safe.

Unfortunately, there are still non film safe machines in use. It used to be as simple as asking if a machine is film safe or they normally have a sign up, but in the digital age, more often than not they will give you a blank stare.

xray fog appears as exposed bands with varying distance on your film; if you left your film in the canister. it doesn't affect the whole roll entirely and evenly..

i put the negative in my pocket and jacket n walk thru ....but usually i don bring alot

I'll be going to Japan and buying iso1600 film, so there's no problem with xrays at changi and narita?

I heard using a lead-lined bag can help against those nasty x rays.

you do realise that they can stop the conveyer & turn up the xray machine on a higher strength ya?

Ok. Disregard my previous comment then.

Last edited:
Best is teleport is invented so we can all teleport the films without any problems