AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED or AF-S VR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED DX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xia0ming

Nov 6, 2008
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor

I am having a Nikon D40,
Can anyone please advice me which lens is better?
Or maybe another suggestion/recommend of lens?
thanx

If you are shooting more of a zoom, 70-300 then.

If looking for a more versatile and street lens from wide to tele, then the 18-200 will do.

I have the 18-200mm lens and I must say it's a very nice travel lens. Why don't you try both lens and see if 300mm is long enough for you. I suspect that it may not ... :)

I am having a Nikon D40,
Can anyone please advice me which lens is better?
Or maybe another suggestion/recommend of lens?
thanx

Pls also let us know what is your shooting style? Any other lenses that you already owned, eg. kit lens?

Seriously, if you have just one lens, then it will be the 18-200.
All other lens are actually supplements. Give it some thoughts...
Most of us are giving you our lens wish list..

Regards

Last edited:
if you dun mind changing lenses.. then get the 70-300VR and the 18-70.. both are some of the best lenses from nikkor;)

Originally Posted by krabbie
I have the 18-200mm lens and I must say it's a very nice travel lens. Why don't you try both lens and see if 300mm is long enough for you. I suspect that it may not ...

haha... I dont want to shoot bird yet.... :bsmilie: maybe next time? thanx for your suggestion

Originally Posted by tkbonz
Pls also let us know what is your shooting style? Any other lenses that you already owned, eg. kit lens?

my shooting style is something more flexible type, versatile, i am owning a KIT lens(18-55mm)

Originally Posted by Legoz
Seriously, if you have just one lens, then it will be the 18-200.
All other lens are actually supplements. Give it some thoughts...
Most of us are giving you our lens wish list..

thanx, Legoz

Originally Posted by Omega23
if you dun mind changing lenses.. then get the 70-300VR and the 18-70.. both are some of the best lenses from nikkor

A, this one mah.....haha.... can be consider....:bsmilie:
anyways thanx....

First off, you have got to know what is lacking or holding you back from getting your desired images from your kit lens. The 18-200 and 70-300 are two very different lenses, so I do not really understand why you are choosing between those two lenses. But, I storngly feel you should just get the 70-300 for a further focal length since you already have the 18-55 which isn't really bad at all.

Originally Posted by Heartbreak
First off, you have got to know what is lacking or holding you back from getting your desired images from your kit lens. The 18-200 and 70-300 are two very different lenses, so I do not really understand why you are choosing between those two lenses. But, I storngly feel you should just get the 70-300 for a further focal length since you already have the 18-55 which isn't really bad at all.

what i think i lack of is that i cant take natural things, e.g. smile, as i have to move near to get it, once i move nearly, ppl might have notice it.:cry:

18-200mm is a DX lens whereas the 70-300 is a FX lens.

As you are using the D40x, the 70-300 becomes a 105- 450mm on a DX body due to the crop factor, whereas there is no extra gain on the 18-200mm lens.

I own both lens and initially started out with the 18-200 as my "holiday" lens on my D300 to minimise carrying around too many lens etc.

Bought the 70-300 together with my D700 2 months ago but ended up sticking it onto my D300 to gain extra zoom advantage and not having to move too close to the subjects as you have also noted in your post. Photos tend to be a bit soft once you zoom past the 240mm mark.

Must admit that I am a newbie, started DSLR with my D300 only last October, but I found that even with VR, at 300mm (450mm on DX) and slight handshake is very evident and tripod or some form of mounting/bracing is required if you are not shooting in optimal lighting conditions.

70-300 is a light lens and great if you need the Telephoto zoom on a DX body, otherwise the 18-200 covers a good wideangle to zoom range and is a better/more solid build with faster response.

Choosing a lens always boils down to 2 basic questions;
- How much am I willing to spend?
- What application is the lens intended for?
once answered, then work your way from there.

18-200mm is a DX lens whereas the 70-300 is a FX lens.

As you are using the D40x, the 70-300 becomes a 105- 450mm on a DX body due to the crop factor, whereas there is no extra gain on the 18-200mm lens.

I own both lens and initially started out with the 18-200 as my "holiday" lens on my D300 to minimise carrying around too many lens etc.

Bought the 70-300 together with my D700 2 months ago but ended up sticking it onto my D300 to gain extra zoom advantage and not having to move too close to the subjects as you have also noted in your post. Photos tend to be a bit soft once you zoom past the 240mm mark.

Must admit that I am a newbie, started DSLR with my D300 only last October, but I found that even with VR, at 300mm (450mm on DX) and slight handshake is very evident and tripod or some form of mounting/bracing is required if you are not shooting in optimal lighting conditions.

70-300 is a light lens and great if you need the Telephoto zoom on a DX body, otherwise the 18-200 covers a good wideangle to zoom range and is a better/more solid build with faster response.

Choosing a lens always boils down to 2 basic questions;
- How much am I willing to spend?
- What application is the lens intended for?
once answered, then work your way from there.

I noticed that you are not very clear yourself about DX/FX/Crop factor etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.