Advise

Any further advises on SETTINGS for me???
Your camera comes with a manual, enough to read for you. Secondly, your camera comes with a lot of Scene Modes, one of them is Landscape Mode. Use it and focus on getting the image, rather than worrying about settings. The camera is smart enough to detect a lot of things and to adjust settings accordingly. Enjoy the trip in the first place.

Actualy i have 60D with only 18mm 135mm kit lens.. I am fully satisfied... For beginer ...that lens of yours is more than enough..u can chk my pictures at flickr.. Profile name "aleckgie" u will see how good is our camera...

Actualy i have 60D with only 18mm 135mm kit lens.. I am fully satisfied... For beginer ...that lens of yours is more than enough..u can chk my pictures at flickr.. Profile name "aleckgie" u will see how good is our camera...
i cant find the user name you gave, but i tried your name. is this you? > http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_quiambao/

btw, im from sengkang too...

though im not using canon... but im using 18-55 last time and it did serve me well =x

Yah thats me.. Alex Quiambao

1. Don't buy anything except maybe a tripod.
2. Read the manual.
3. Read intro-to-DSLR type books (e.g. Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, the Digital Photography Book series by Scott Kelby)

Last edited:
Once again, a big thank you to all

Bro... it is not as if a UWA lens could really solve your problem. UWA lens was one of the most difficult lens to use. It is wide and it make your subject seemed pretty far away. One way is to use panorama method, you can read up how to use the panorama method from magazine and the net... it really is not that difficult actually.

5946084541_cf3bd84204_b.jpg

The above photo is taken by a EOS 7D + EF 28mm f2.8 (stitched together)

So as you can see, you don't really need a UWA to take in the entire scene. And from personal experience, sometime even a 28mm seemed pretty wide.

Internet tips:

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/8-guidelines-to-taking-panoramic-photos-with-any-camera
i do panorama stitching too (rather than getting a UWA).

pros:
1. no need to buy expensive UWA
2. probably less distortion than UWA.
3. more megapixels overall than UWA.
4. each individual photo has a different exposure setting. with a UWA, there's a chance you might over/underexpose in certain parts of the image. the stitched image may have a higher dynamic range.
5. no limit on your angle of view. you can do 360 degrees if you like.

cons:
1. harder to frame a panorama
2. can't do long exposure easily (light trails from traffic, waterfalls, beach scenes).
3. effort required to stitch panorama, including problems with blending.

by the way, i use the free and open source software: hugin.

cons:
1. harder to frame a panorama
2. can't do long exposure easily (light trails from traffic, waterfalls, beach scenes).
3. effort required to stitch panorama, including problems with blending.

by the way, i use the free and open source software: hugin.

Yeah. I feel you. Recently I try to do panorama on Clarke Quay at night. Because I needed long exposure (sometime reaching 20sec) on each frame, so whenever a boat passes through or disturbance was found in the water, or people walking, the final product is kind of strange.

But I find that sometime this strangeness can be quite intriguting too.

What software are you using btw? I am now with autopano giga.

Yeah. I feel you. Recently I try to do panorama on Clarke Quay at night. Because I needed long exposure (sometime reaching 20sec) on each frame, so whenever a boat passes through or disturbance was found in the water, or people walking, the final product is kind of strange.

But I find that sometime this strangeness can be quite intriguting too.

What software are you using btw? I am now with autopano giga.

i use hugin (http://hugin.sourceforge.net/)