Advise

thaitak

Jul 16, 2011
I got a Canon 60D with a EF S 18-200mm from my company dinner and dance last year.

Just open it up as intend to go for a long holidays at Thailand.

As i might want to try out taking scenery as well some family pictures especially all the seaside view.

I think that that EF S 18-200mm might not be enough, so may all the kind bros/sis please advise on any additional len, filters and etc i should consider buying.

Thanks.

why do you think it's not enough? 18mm Not wide enough or ?

btw, I would say that 18-200 is one of those best lens for travelling.

Sorry bro, i really donno about that.

Hope that i can be enlightened further as really wanna some nice pic for the trip.

thaitak said:
I got a Canon 60D with a EF S 18-200mm from my company dinner and dance last year.

As i might want to try out taking scenery as well some family pictures especially all the seaside view.

I think that that EF S 18-200mm might not be enough, so may all the kind bros/sis please advise on any additional len, filters and etc i should consider buying.

Thanks.

That lens should be enough for your usage. It's a pretty handy lens to use for traveling.

The 18-200mm should be enough for casual travelling shots. If you are considering other accessories that will make your shot turn out better, you can consider an external flasn for night/lowlight shots or CPL filters for bright daylight shots

Stop worrying about the lens. Better learn how to use the different camera settings

Agree with the rest... for casual shoot... 18-200mm is enough for travelling. Therefore until you know which part is "Not Enough"... example, not Wide enough. The 18-200mm would serve you well. ;)

I use the 18-200.... My pics cone out 50-50 cos sometimes I forget to change previous settings back.

Those nice ones usually in P mode cos I not good enough to read situation to know the best ISO, Aperture, Shutter combination.

Since digital, take as many shots of the same thing as you can (use P mode also) some will surely come out nice, and just delete off the rest. E.g. I went on a trip took 4000, yes 4000, pics cos I take a few of same scene.... Come back deleted the blur ones and left with around 800. Memory card cheap now, go get a few to bring along your trip

I don't think your equipment is limiting you now, but rather your skills and knowledge in photography. My advise is go out shoot and practice before your trip. Even if you get a top rated lens without sufficient skills then your picture might come out no different from using 18-200.

18-200 will serve you well for holidays if you know how to use it well.

Basically TS... when you say that you are afraid that the 18-200mm might not be enough, you must really have something in mind that give you that conclusion or suspicion. Mind sharing with us why do you think 18-200mm is not enough for the photography that you are going to take? Only by sharing with us those thoughts would any of us actually know how to advice you.

Basically TS... when you say that you are afraid that the 18-200mm might not be enough, you must really have something in mind that give you that conclusion or suspicion. ... ...

I kinda get the feeling that TS wants to landscape shots..scared not wide enough. Fear that it's not wide enough to capture the scenery, because never been to the location before and dunno wat to prepare for. But can't be sure, just my wild guess here..

Thanks.

for seaside view, can consider tripod for long exposure shots (also useful for night shots & group photos). since you just opened your camera, better familiarize with it a bit more before going. you can miss/ruin a lot of shots simply due to unfamiliarity with your setup. for filters, can consider a CPL, and make sure your current UV filter is not a cheapo one.

Thanks.

What you need to add to allow you to take nice pics with the camera setup you have:
1. Buy a good tripod and CPL filter
2. Read up the manual and find out what your lens and cam can do
3. Read up on how to take good pics, be it Landscape, Candids & Portraits, Macro/close-up, night shots etc

Last edited:
Thank you all the wonderful advises.

Yes, my prime concern is that it might not be wide enough to capture those scenry or landscape.

And yes, i guess i have to practice here and there to get a feel of the camera.

Any further advises on SETTINGS for me???

Thanks

Yes, my prime concern is that it might not be wide enough to capture those scenry or landscape.

Thanks

18mm is pretty wide for most usage.

If you are not sure how other setting works and how they affect the picture, Auto is the best mode.

And don't be afraid to use higher ISO (up to 1600 is my comfort level), noisy picture is better than blurred picture.

Maybe TS can consider renting a UWA like the Canon 10-22mm and try out some landscape shooting first? Then you can compare with 18mm shots and get a feel of your needs :)

Thanks

Bro... it is not as if a UWA lens could really solve your problem. UWA lens was one of the most difficult lens to use. It is wide and it make your subject seemed pretty far away. One way is to use panorama method, you can read up how to use the panorama method from magazine and the net... it really is not that difficult actually.

5946084541_cf3bd84204_b.jpg

The above photo is taken by a EOS 7D + EF 28mm f2.8 (stitched together)

So as you can see, you don't really need a UWA to take in the entire scene. And from personal experience, sometime even a 28mm seemed pretty wide.

Internet tips:

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/8-guidelines-to-taking-panoramic-photos-with-any-camera

Last edited:
Bro... it is not as if a UWA lens could really solve your problem. UWA lens was one of the most difficult lens to use. It is wide and it make your subject seemed pretty far away. One way is to use panorama method, you can read up how to use the panorama method from magazine and the net... it really is not that difficult actually.

[image...]
... ...

I agree that UWA is one of those hard-to-use/learn lens. At times, it also makes your subject pretty small to be seen as background "noise" rather than a subject.

To compensate for the wideness, you can use Pano as rhino suggested. Just make sure your settings are the same when you take those shots (meaning, shoot in manual where all exposures are the same).

As for settings wise, when in doubt, use
- Auto
- Auto w/o flash

If you want to play with semi-auto try...
- Aperture Priority(AV)
- Shutter Priority(TV)
- Program (P)

I personally prefer TV for moving stuffs and AV for scenery.

For TV, Actual values will depend on the effect you want as well as the "speed" of the subject
AV wise, You may want to read up on Sunny 16

Once again, a big thank you to all the tips n reference website.

Btw, what is Sunny 16?