Advise On Wide Angle Lens For Group Photos Of More Than 100 People

this is the most valuable tips I had.
I always plan before my event but this haven't occurred to me.[
I like it when you mentioned the marking on the floor .. it seems to be like my army day's where there is markings at parade square.
Thats superb good idea :)
I will go rent a 16-35 today and perhaps buy one if it is good

QUOTE=Octarine;8410966]Second that.
TS: Spend some time on actual location. You could put some markings on the floor where you expect people to stand, then check from shooting locations whether they all fit in or which arrangements you need to make to have them all fitting in nicely. Do keep in mind the mentioned distortions.[/QUOTE]

agree with some members here, you are over concern about your gears, it only shows you have not done this and don't know what it takes to do a decent group photo.

yes, you need to go down the site to do recce, you need to see how much area will 150pax take up,

to arrange a people for group photo itself is already a nightmare, you need a lots of assistants to do that, you just concentration on getting the angle and setting right, of course, the assistants must know what to do about arranging the people and crowd control first.

don't forget to use loudhailer or a PA system to tell the crowd what to do,

1.00pm is the worst time to do group photo, you need to pray hard is a cloudy day and they crowd don't have to look at the bright sky.

if you want to use flash, you need to have a lots of units to cut down the recycling time, the crowd is not very patience standing there to wait for the flash to recycle, if possible, they will want to get out there after you took the first frame.

good luck.

Yup, I only did class photos before upto 40+ paxs.
I have seen the past group photos taken at the exact same place as they have the similiar event there previously which also have around the same amount of paxs.

My main concern is this shot and the organizer said his event coordinator did the same event so many times until he lost count will help to organise them as well as the many assistants from the organiser's side will be assisting in this group photo. Luckily for me.

The rest will be standard events shoot that I usually do except for the huge group photo :)

agree with some members here, you are over concern about your gears, it only shows you have not done this and don't know what it takes to do a decent group photo.

yes, you need to go down the site to do recce, you need to see how much area will 150pax take up,

to arrange a people for group photo itself is already a nightmare, you need a lots of assistants to do that, you just concentration on getting the angle and setting right, of course, the assistants must know what to do about arranging the people and crowd control first.

1.00pm is the worst time to do group photo, you need to pray hard is a cloudy day and they crowd don't have to look at the bright sky.

if you want to use flash, you need to have a lots of units to cut down the recycling time, the crowd is not very patience standing there to wait for the flash to recycle, if possible, they will want to get out there after you took the first frame.

good luck.

Thanks alot for the advice, I was planning to use lightroom lens correction to fix this.

Do check up if Lightroom is able to do that.
In DxO Optics, I have a tad bit of the sides of the image being cropped off while using automatic correction of anamorphosis.

Thanks bro, I will find time to look at this software.
I think it will be very useful when I buy a lens like 16-35 :)
Do check up if Lightroom is able to do that.
In DxO Optics, I have a tad bit of the sides of the image being cropped off while using automatic correction of anamorphosis.

Thanks for the advice, everything went very well today.
The 16-35 that I have rented based on members recommendation works like a beauty.
I did not need to correct the distortions as my subjects are all in the centre and the sides are not used at all.
Did not take long as everyone was very cooperatives and took a quick 6 or 7 shots in a row to ensure no one is looking away at that moment.
Thanks everyone for your advices .. Cheers :)

good luck.

Thanks for the advice, everything went very well today.
The 16-35 that I have rented based on members recommendation works like a beauty.
I did not need to correct the distortions as my subjects are all in the centre and the sides are not used at all.
Did not take long as everyone was very cooperatives and took a quick 6 or 7 shots in a row to ensure no one is looking away at that moment.
Thanks everyone for your advices .. Cheers :)

Good to know everything work out as planned.

thanks of sharing. :)

Show photo if possible, not everyday get to see 150pax grp photo. Wanna see how large is it..thks

Can you help me post if I email it to you? My mobile don't have feature for me to copy the url after I used it to upload to google +

Upload to CS gallery.

Thanks for the suggestion, learnt another feature for CS today:)
The version that download from facebook is of super low res. Will upload one with reasonable resolution soon
Upload to CS gallery.

I uploaded a 5mb file but not sure why like that

It's 20k with not even 300px on the longest side. Either you picked the wrong file or uploading a huge file will result in automatic resizing. Check the upload instructions.

get a 8 -15 Fish eye and defish later on.

hah

Sorry to be so late but why has no one suggested 2 similar setups side by side on a rail triggered at the same time with same strobes setting. Then stitching later on.
I have actually done this as a test years ago with film but printing was a PITA as we needed to trim the negs and print between glass in a pano enlarger holder.