Advices needed for an amateur photographer regarding Flash Attachment & New Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
dont know much about this lens, but one hing for sure is that it got alot of zoom, the highest zoom factor lens thru out all lens maker.

My personal though abt this lens:
at its max focal length 270mm, its F stop quite small at 6.3, will make shooting at its tele end difficult in indoor situation, even with VC also not much help if you are shooting a live subject(ie human or animal) your shutter speed will be very slow and u have subject blur easily. personally unless my camera got very good high ISO performance i wouldnt pick up this lens.

secondly, high zoom factor lens usually suffer at either end of its focal length either the wide or tele end, usually wide, the IQ sharpness, distortion control is not that good.

But then again if i am not so concern abt IQ, as a casual snapper this lens is a very good choice for day use, walk around and shooting scenery to people.

Thanks alot nixontkl.
Do u consider 450d iso performance high enough for the len???

Thanks alot nixontkl.
Do u consider 450d iso performance high enough for the len???

Hx632 - not too sure about the ISO performance of 450D, never try b4 nor do i have friends using it. 400D my acceptance of the ISO max in low light condition for me is ISO400, 500D is ISO1600, not sure if 450D will be in between or not. and ISO performance there is no really black and white about it, the noise level acceptance level in the picture depend on individual also. I might have a low torlerance level for noise.

Hx632 - not too sure about the ISO performance of 450D, never try b4 nor do i have friends using it. 400D my acceptance of the ISO max in low light condition for me is ISO400, 500D is ISO1600, not sure if 450D will be in between or not. and ISO performance there is no really black and white about it, the noise level acceptance level in the picture depend on individual also. I might have a low torlerance level for noise.

Thanks nixontkl.... :)

As for tripod, what model would be good for backpacking, and why?

Thanks peeps!
;)

The best tripod for backpacking is the one that you are willing to carry ;) No point buying a solid tripod only to leave it in the hotel beacause it's too heavy or cumbersome. If you are willing to lug 2-3kg of tripod and ballhead, then go right ahead. Me..? I'm too lazy and I find it too inconvenient to set up and take down tripod each time so I don't bring one when I travel :D

Thanks yatsunil, that's true, no point lugging so much wt on me if i were to trave light.

I've checked with Challenger yesterday on my way home and according to them an orginal nikon f2.8/50mm lens cost $249, whereas a SB 400 flash cost $249 as well.
Is it worth getting either of them?
:)

Thanks yatsunil, that's true, no point lugging so much wt on me if i were to trave light.

I've checked with Challenger yesterday on my way home and according to them an orginal nikon f2.8/50mm lens cost $249, whereas a SB 400 flash cost $249 as well.
Is it worth getting either of them?

Challenger prices are never cheap. Why don't you go to John 3:16 in Funan, reasonable price and great service.

The 50mm f/1.8 should not cost so much... around $180-$200. I dunno the price for SB400, but with a bit more, you can actually get a 2nd hand SB600.

Thanx Gerald,

Do u reckon a 50mm/1.8f or a 50mm/2.8f lens would be betta?
What's the difference btw SB400 and SB600?
Does it means it's more powerful?

Thanx Gerald,

Do u reckon a 50mm/1.8f or a 50mm/2.8f lens would be betta?
What's the difference btw SB400 and SB600?
Does it means it's more powerful?

there is no 50mm f2.8 lens on the market not that i know of.

SB400 can only fire forward and 45deg and 90deg in landscape position.

SB600 more power, can fire 0-90deg right, 0-180deg left, 30deg, 45deg, 75deg, 90deg up.
allow u to bounce light from the flash in more direction (very useful)

there is no 50mm f2.8 lens on the market not that i know of.

SB400 can only fire forward and 45deg and 90deg in landscape position.

SB600 more power, can fire 0-90deg right, 0-180deg left, 30deg, 45deg, 75deg, 90deg up.
allow u to bounce light from the flash in more direction (very useful)

yep... there is no 50mm f/2.8 lens...

SB600 is not only more powerful, but can be a CLS slave flash. If you have D70/s, D80, D90, D200, D300, D700 bodies, you can control the SB600 flash wirelessly using CLS.

Thanx a million!
Now I've a much betta idea on the differences!!

Will most likely buy a SB400 or a 600, and most likely a 50mm/1.8f!

Guess I'll be bringing the D40x, SB 400 or 600 flash, a 18-55 lens, 55-200lens, plus a 50/1.8f lens for my trip.

Thanks again, guys!!!
You all have been a great help!

Oh oh, forgot to ask, should i get an original nikon lens or a 3rd pasrty lense for the 50mm/1.8f?
Is there any difference? What are the pros & cons of original n 3rd party lens?

Where's the best place to make such purchase?

Oh oh, forgot to ask, should i get an original nikon lens or a 3rd pasrty lense for the 50mm/1.8f?

FYI, D40, D60,.. cannot autofocus with 50mm,1.8 which is a 'D' lens
It can only autofocus with AF-S "G" lenses (with motor)
Nikon had left quite a few features off :thumbsd:

I just got back from Europe. Keep in mind that a lot of museums don’t allow flash photography, so you’ll need either a fast lense (maybe f2.8 or lower) or a lense with image stabilization. I took only a Tamron 17-50mm and it pretty much covered everything I wanted to take pictures of (I also backpacked, so I was mindful of the weight of my gear. It adds up!). Also note that some places (London/Paris) frown on tripods, so either a. bring a small one (eg. gorillapod) or b. use a bean bag.

The Nikon 50mm f/1.8 won't auto focus on the D40x. There aren't many choices for 50mm lenses that can auto focus with D40x... Sigma or Nikon AFS 50mm f/1.4 are available but not cheap.

You can try getting the Nikon AFS 35mm f/1.8 which I believe would suit your travels... or the Sigma 30mm f/1.4.

Thanks peeps!

Hmmmm... looks like i've to give 50mm/1.8f a miss then...

Any idea how much would a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 or Nikon AFS 35mm f/1.8 cost?

Thanks peeps!

Hmmmm... looks like i've to give 50mm/1.8f a miss then...

Any idea how much would a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 or Nikon AFS 35mm f/1.8 cost?
i think a new Sigma 30mm f1.4 is ard $700, while the Nikon AF-S 35mm f1.8m is ard $390.

Status
Not open for further replies.