Advice on wide angle & telephoto lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm newbie too (just start 1 month)
and i think that the 50mm f/1.8 is a very very good lens. just need to run a bit for the fix focal.
nice to have that one.

escherichia said:
Hi ren hao, thanks for the suggestions! How much is the sigma 75-300mm selling for?

In regards to the 50mm f/1.8, this is a prime lens right? Im not very sure how easy/useful a fixed lens like this is for an amateur like me..? ;p

The Sigma is going for 320. Prices of Sigma, Tamron and Tokina lens can be found in the "Others" subforum.

I am also an amateur. The pics i take are no where near good. But after using the 50mm for one of my photoshoot, i am so impressed that i am considering going prime most of the way. And it is fun to use the prime ;)
With primes, zooming is accomplished by your leg and not your hands. :bsmilie:

Ren_Hao said:
The Sigma is going for 320. Prices of Sigma, Tamron and Tokina lens can be found in the "Others" subforum.

I am also an amateur. The pics i take are no where near good. But after using the 50mm for one of my photoshoot, i am so impressed that i am considering going prime most of the way. And it is fun to use the prime ;)

Haha, you are so funny! Im now really tempted to get a 50mm/f1.8 and try man. Since its only slightly over 100 buckaroos... and the sigma 75-300mm so cheap?! *scoots off to check out the price list*;)

htthach said:
i'm newbie too (just start 1 month)
and i think that the 50mm f/1.8 is a very very good lens. just need to run a bit for the fix focal.
nice to have that one.

Hehehe! Nevermind, I have long legs!;p

i would agree with ren hao and his suggestions. Primes are better than zoom lenses, although its always true that no matter what type of lens you use, producing a nice picture is a different story. Pass a crap lens to a pro photographer, and probably you get a nicer pic than a super sharp L prime taken by someone else

Well, i also think im an amatuer and a "good photographer wannabe". From my perspective its good to have the 50mm prime as sometimes walking around more lets you see more rather standing still and using a zoom. Furthermore, its cheap....

Otherwise, I have no other comments cos I dont have any others except the 50mm and the kit lens. However, I intend to get a wide angle soon.....

gd luck1

Ren_Hao said:
i am so impressed that i am considering going prime most of the way. And it is fun to use the prime ;)

:p me too... now thinking to get my hands on a <20mm prime, since mine is 1.6. But only will consider EF lar, as i be shooting film at the same time

Think of which focal length u will use the most n spend the most money on it. Dont duplicate the focal length eg dont get the 50mm if u r using the kit lens. Get the ultra wide or the telephoto lens first. My story- kit lens, 50/1.8, 24, 24-60/2, 28-105/3.5-4.5, 18-50/2.8, 100/2, 2x tc, 28/2.8. Now left the kit lens, 18-50/2.8, 100/2, 2x tc.

honda said:
Think of which focal length u will use the most n spend the most money on it. Dont duplicate the focal length eg dont get the 50mm if u r using the kit lens. Get the ultra wide or the telephoto lens first. My story- kit lens, 50/1.8, 24, 24-60/2, 28-105/3.5-4.5, 18-50/2.8, 100/2, 2x tc, 28/2.8. Now left the kit lens, 18-50/2.8, 100/2, 2x tc.

The pic from the kit lens is going to be very different from that of a 50mm prime. For starters, the bokeh will be different.............., even if it is the f1.8 and not the f1.4 It really depends on personal usage rather than just looking at focal length.
I got 3 lens covering the 50mm focal. But so what? I use them for different purpose cuz the 3 lens are all very different and each have their own use.

I mean for starters buy lenses to cover the different focal length, hopefully not too much overlap. Later u can duplicate if u like. I had 3 similar lenses- 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 45/2.8 for nikon but i didnt use more than 1 at a time.
http://singaporephoto.blogspot.com

not suggest to buy the lenses you donnot need at this moment.
I bought a 50/1.8II, but during the past 5months since I bought it, I have not used it seriously. 50mm can be coverd by Tamron 28-75. I think 50mm/1.8II is good, but probably not suitable for newbie.

My friend also sold the 50/1.8II without using it once(I'v never seen him use it). After improving your skill and you think you need the lense, then buy 50/1.8.

true. I bought the 50/1.8 because everyone recommends it but ended up not using it and sold away. Bought it back later when I have a need but it's still seldom used for most of the stuff (fashion runway shows, events, weddings, etc) I take.

The 50mm was my favourite lens during the film days, not anymore now. The flavour of the day is zoom lens not fixed lens.

The reason ppl buying the 50mm f1.8 is the bokeh it gives and the emergency solution in dark places where the flashes are not allowed or you don't want the flash light. It should always be in your camera bag. Very cheap and light.:thumbsup:

Let's come back to this thread's target.
I'll strongly recommend canon EFS 10-22 over any other WA lens for 1.6x body. The reasons are (1)lighest (2)sharpest (3) widest zoom lens (4)the best cosmetics (5)largest aperature at 3.5-4.5 and (5)highest resale value. If you buy it new now at 1100, u can easily sell it a year later at 900.:thumbsup:
Can sigma and tokina beat canon in these factors???:nono: no way.. It is just 200 more expensive than the tokina 12-24 f4.

For telephoto lens, I'll recommend sigma 70-300 APO macro. You won't regret it. It is better than canon counterparts of this price range except for ultra sonic motor. Ofcourse, if u can afford, go for 70-200 f4L..:p

mtunlinn said:
The reason ppl buying the 50mm f1.8 is the bokeh it gives and the emergency solution in dark places where the flashes are not allowed or you don't want the flash light. It should always be in your camera bag. Very cheap and light.:thumbsup:

Let's come back to this thread's target.
I'll strongly recommend canon EFS 10-22 over any other WA lens for 1.6x body. The reasons are (1)lighest (2)sharpest (3) widest zoom lens (4)the best cosmetics (5)largest aperature at 3.5-4.5 and (5)highest resale value. If you buy it new now at 1100, u can easily sell it a year later at 900.:thumbsup:
Can sigma and tokina beat canon in these factors???:nono: no way.. It is just 200 more expensive than the tokina 12-24 f4.

For telephoto lens, I'll recommend sigma 70-300 APO macro. You won't regret it. It is better than canon counterparts of this price range except for ultra sonic motor. Ofcourse, if u can afford, go for 70-200 f4L..

Dear all,

Thanks for the suggestions! I've gone down this morning to take a look at the Tokina and Canon WA lens with another member here. And after trying out, I do think that the Canon 10-22mm wins Tokina but I rather like Tokina too (the sturdy built, plus, I think I don't need that wide a lens yet, so I got that.

It was selling at $899 at CP, but he gave me a 1Gb card and sold me the Tokina circular polarizer at $35. I also went to get a Lowepro backpack so Im really broke now.

Thanks again! Regarding the telephoto lens, I think everyone agrees that Canon 70-200mm f/4 L is very popular and good. I myself is inclined towards the Sigma 75-300mm APO so I think I'll get that with my next bonus. :)

Btw, I got a brand new LCD Hood for Canon 300D. Does anyone want it? The first to PM me will get it for free. Will meet up to pass. :)

escherichia said:
Btw, I got a brand new LCD Hood for Canon 300D. Does anyone want it? The first to PM me will get it for free. Will meet up to pass. :)
can i PM u??
;p

mtunlinn said:
:bsmilie: not to be rude, but I really really don't think people buy the 50 f1.8 for it's bokeh. blur is not bokeh, bokeh is blur with highlights.

Status
Not open for further replies.