Advice needed for submerged DSLR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys for all your inputs. Except for a few bruises on the elbow and shin, my friend is ok. He is taking the whole thing ok I think. I guess this is a reminder to all photogs shooting - be aware of your situation when you are shooting.. coz its so easy to get engrossed getting "the shot" that you forget your surroundings. The steps along sg river is really very slippery, even though it looks ok.

espn said:
I'd agree with letting it totally dry before feeding any current. You can wash motherboards this way too, but have to be sure it's totally dry else you'll fry the board.

However, since it's salt water.. might as well just 'fess up and let Canon do the cleaning.
:nono:not true. water moisture promotes electron migration inside the Si dies of all electronic components. It will speed up the process of killing the chips.

yanyewkay said:
:nono:not true. water moisture promotes electron migration inside the Si dies of all electronic components. It will speed up the process of killing the chips.

If the water penetrates the ceramic/ plastic packaging that is...

But I agree that the camera should have been soaked in fresh water after that.. Leaving the dried salt there will cause corrosion..

Firefox said:
If the water penetrates the ceramic/ plastic packaging that is...

But I agree that the camera should have been soaked in fresh water after that.. Leaving the dried salt there will cause corrosion..

yes yes, fresh water soaking prevents the salt corrosion on the camera parts. but i would never dream of ever wanting to dunk an electronic appliance into WATER. :nono:

let alone a few-thousand-dollars worth piece of equipment. imagine it sitting there wading in the basin. :sweatsm:

szekiat said:
The 1D series is built weather proof not swimming proof.

Just want to agree on that; Canon in its marketing literature calls it "drip proof". It's not even "weather proof"...storms and sand storms etc. may still kill your valuable weather-sealed lenses and bodies?

doug3fflux said:
yes yes, fresh water soaking prevents the salt corrosion on the camera parts. but i would never dream of ever wanting to dunk an electronic appliance into WATER. :nono:

let alone a few-thousand-dollars worth piece of equipment. imagine it sitting there wading in the basin. :sweatsm:

well they have nothing to lose.
if the camera went into sea water, have to clear out the salt with fresh water for 1st aid.

then immd send to canon. and yeah, confess.

Ah Pao said:
Just want to agree on that; Canon in its marketing literature calls it "drip proof". It's not even "weather proof"...storms and sand storms etc. may still kill your valuable weather-sealed lenses and bodies?
Hmm...they say it's sealed from "dust and rain"...

Check out the EF Lens Work III...there's a pic of a 300mm f2.8L IS being sprayed with water

+evenstar said:
Hmm...they say it's sealed from "dust and rain"...

Check out the EF Lens Work III...there's a pic of a 300mm f2.8L IS being sprayed with water
Yeah ok....but would you even dare of doing that say to your own weather sealed lens? Would you trust Canon's statement to even try it? :D Its just a promotional gimmick I believe. "Weather-sealed" doesn't mean "water-proof". Even when out shooting in the rain with 1 series bodies and weather sealed lenses, its still better to take precautions to protect your gear from the water. Better safe than sorry. Esp. when it concerns thousands of dollars of equipment.

Gremlin, sorry for the OT, really sorry to hear abt your friend's predicament. :( So did he follow up with Canon Service Centre on whether his gear can be "rescued"?

I think I know who he is :think:

actually, i have often been caught out by the weather when shooting and can vouch for the weather seals of the 1D and the F5/D1 series. Used my 400 2.8 and 1D in the rain a few times when the stupid officials did not want to call off the event despite the fact that visibility was horrid and it was raining cats and dogs. Bo pian, forgot to bring rain shield. Just go on shooting and trust canon i guess. My F5 also went into the rain when i was on holiday in turkey. The roman amphitheater was too nice not to photograph. I guess you do pay for what you get. And i have seen interviews of people who shoot motorcross and dhaka motor tour of how they use their cams in dust filled environment. Its litterally changing a filter everyday cos it is so pitted by the sand.

szekiat said:
actually, i have often been caught out by the weather when shooting and can vouch for the weather seals of the 1D and the F5/D1 series. Used my 400 2.8 and 1D in the rain a few times when the stupid officials did not want to call off the event despite the fact that visibility was horrid and it was raining cats and dogs. Bo pian, forgot to bring rain shield. Just go on shooting and trust canon i guess. My F5 also went into the rain when i was on holiday in turkey. The roman amphitheater was too nice not to photograph. I guess you do pay for what you get. And i have seen interviews of people who shoot motorcross and dhaka motor tour of how they use their cams in dust filled environment. Its litterally changing a filter everyday cos it is so pitted by the sand.

Yup yup.... so far the 2 cameras that i trust when i sway sway kena cover $@!@$ events in dusty/tropical areas are the F5, and the 1v hs. Even though my boss wants the speed of digital transmission with a 2h/mkII, i wouldn't want to risk it.
both these cameras have been subjected to continuous rain, dust storms in abu dhabi, humidity in excess of 120%, even HAIL here in northern cali... and apart from a bit of kopak kopakness, the cameras function flawlessly. My colleague's 1d had issues as moisture and dust had seeped into his body after 2 wks into our 2 month coverage regardless of the seals... he ended up borrowing my fm2 and lenses.

Feel sorry for the chap who dunked his camera into the sinapore river... :( hope you manage to get it fixed without it costing too much.

For stuff in salt water:

[1] Dunk in fresh water, the sooner the better.
[2] Keep it in fresh water.
[3] Repeat changes with fresh water every two hours or so.
[4] Keep gear away from oxygen - ie air tight.
[5] Seek professional advice asa-humanly-possible.
[6] Be prepared to write off your gear.

For fresh water:

[1] Do NOT switch equipment on. (Incidentally this applies to above as well).
[2] Dry out the equipment - open as many vents, covers, etc.
[3] Bring equipment in to professional support asap, so they can strip down the equipment and dry it properly.
[4] When the equipment is fully dry, and you haven't switched it on when wet, you have a very decent chance of not sustaining any major damage.

In both instances:

[1] If this happens to a friend of yours, show a bit more concern or sympathy than was shown to me when it happened to me. You know who you are.

your camera needs CPR, follow these step:

1) blow with hair dryer, not to hot (set minimum) not too long, it will melt the circuit..

2) keep it in the dry box, set it to real low humid, remove your lens, battery and keep for 3 days, pray hard , Gods will, it will work, happened to my Nikkormat, was summerged at changi Point, works fine till today.

3) if works buy me lunch... :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.