Advice...LX5 or S95

Get the EX1 if you want the swivel screen, the S95 if you want compact size and don't care about the lack of grip, the LX5 if you're into the kind of look and feel (very layman look and feel factor).

Each has its advantages, I would say. I'm using the LX5 btw and the one feature that I really think stands out is the high speed sync with on board flash, which S95 and EX1 can't offer.

I beg to differ on the comment of the price of entry level DSLR, with LX5 price at around $680 thereabouts at dealer pricing as the most ex comparing between the 3, any other comparison (24-90mm thereabouts with F2.0 or less) should be solely comparing on the aperture and range. There is a bridge still between the entry level DSLR market and the premium compact cameras mainly because of the specs.

Look at it frankly, is there any entry level DSLR at just a $100 top up (I'm using LX5 as a comparison) that offers the same aperture and focal length, high speed sync, Leica lens etc? Try adding a F2.8 constant lens (if there is for the DSLR brand you're looking at) and the price of the entry level DSLR becomes not so entry level =)

A "versatile" cam in this case will give you more focal length range, but you will find it very hard pressed to get a thin DoF, and image quality and noise perfomance way below that of a "not versatile" cam.

So if you read closely. each type of cam is "versatile" and "not versatile" in its own way.

Seriously, if you can zoom easily, that will be the first instinct you will have, instead of moving in closer. The resulting shots will be very different in both cases. ;)

yup. but no clear answer to which one will lead to a better shot. zoom with leg and optical zoom.

yup. but no clear answer to which one will lead to a better shot. zoom with leg and optical zoom.

That is why people always say the man behind the viewfinder(LCD) matters more.

Look at it frankly, is there any entry level DSLR at just a $100 top up (I'm using LX5 as a comparison) that offers the same aperture and focal length, high speed sync, Leica lens etc? Try adding a F2.8 constant lens (if there is for the DSLR brand you're looking at) and the price of the entry level DSLR becomes not so entry level =)

Sony A230 kit selling at $499 now. Pay 150 more for a 50/1.8.

total $650.

Will kick the butt of all three above mentioned cameras.

BTW, the "Leica" lens inside the LX5 and D-Lux 5 are both made by panasonic. The "Schneider" lens in the EX1 is made by Samsung. At least the Canon lens in the S95 is made by Canon themselves. And also, F2.0 or F1.8 for these compact cams are NOT constant apertures also.

Last edited:
Get the EX1 if you want the swivel screen, the S95 if you want compact size and don't care about the lack of grip, the LX5 if you're into the kind of look and feel (very layman look and feel factor).

Each has its advantages, I would say. I'm using the LX5 btw and the one feature that I really think stands out is the high speed sync with on board flash, which S95 and EX1 can't offer.

I beg to differ on the comment of the price of entry level DSLR, with LX5 price at around $680 thereabouts at dealer pricing as the most ex comparing between the 3, any other comparison (24-90mm thereabouts with F2.0 or less) should be solely comparing on the aperture and range. There is a bridge still between the entry level DSLR market and the premium compact cameras mainly because of the specs.

One mirrorless offers f2.0 on kit lens. :)

And not so shabby, it's a very good lens.

Sony A230 kit selling at $499 now. Pay 150 more for a 50/1.8.

total $650.

Will kick the butt of all three above mentioned cameras.

BTW, the "Leica" lens inside the LX5 and D-Lux 5 are both made by panasonic. The "Schneider" lens in the EX1 is made by Samsung. At least the Canon lens in the S95 is made by Canon themselves. And also, F2.0 or F1.8 for these compact cams are NOT constant apertures also.

Technically I don't concur with the "kick the butt" bit, esp with macro and high speed sync. (try the above setup and try getting fill-in flash/macro shots). I do agree that it isn't constant aperture, well, try comparing F2-3.3, F2-4.9, F2-2.4 lens with the range? Anyways, this really isn't important here.

And hor, answering another bro's thread, the pancake lens for mirrorless cameras isn't the kit lens, its another option to choose from. Standard kit lens setup is the zoom lens for Olympus and Panny's options.

Actually my point is that such compacts has its purpose for existing, and to bring in a DSLR into the equation when threadstarter is comparing S95/LX5 really isn't helpful for him/her. It is like comparing apples and oranges actually? Ultimately, it depends on the needs of the thread starter.

Would the threadstarter enlighten us on why you narrow down to this 2 options in the first place?

Technically I don't concur with the "kick the butt" bit, esp with macro and high speed sync. (try the above setup and try getting fill-in flash/macro shots). I do agree that it isn't constant aperture, well, try comparing F2-3.3, F2-4.9, F2-2.4 lens with the range? Anyways, this really isn't important here.

And hor, answering another bro's thread, the pancake lens for mirrorless cameras isn't the kit lens, its another option to choose from. Standard kit lens setup is the zoom lens for Olympus and Panny's options.

Actually my point is that such compacts has its purpose for existing, and to bring in a DSLR into the equation when threadstarter is comparing S95/LX5 really isn't helpful for him/her. It is like comparing apples and oranges actually? Ultimately, it depends on the needs of the thread starter.

Would the threadstarter enlighten us on why you narrow down to this 2 options in the first place?

Dude, you started it first. We did not bring DSLR into the equation. You did.

Just pointing it out to you. So you know.
;)

But still, an A230 is capable of high speed sync with a external flash gun. And with that combo will let the user shoot pictures not possible with any of the compacts. Sure I know it is not compact. But your statement that nothing comes close is not true anymore. May be true a couple of years back, but certainly not true now anymore.

Last edited:
Dude, you started it first. We did not bring DSLR into the equation. You did.

Just pointing it out to you. So you know.
;)

But still, an A230 is capable of high speed sync with a external flash gun. And with that combo will let the user shoot pictures not possible with any of the compacts. Sure I know it is not compact. But your statement that nothing comes close is not true anymore. May be true a couple of years back, but certainly not true now anymore.

For me, I choose neither. Their prices(around $699) are not cheap for just point and shoot function. Top-up $100 can get a Pentax DSLR or Samsung NX10(a micro four third) which can perform much better than both.

Ha, not me!

Sidetrack a little, A230 plus external flash gun + 50mm f1.8 = how much? For some of us who kind of know the market, specs etc better, I'd say we're not as myopic as people who simply lump DSLR into the equation with price as concerned, while forgetting the reason why premium compacts exist, to satisfy needs for a niche market (compact size, versatility, functions etc).

Let's move on to check the needs of the TS rather than us banter on this topic?

So by definition, kit lens should be zoom lens and can't be optional. :)
how horrible...

Last edited:

I saw the thread here on LX5...I was tempted..then I went Funan to see....then I was told don't buy...S95 better...then I was shown the S95...then I got confused...then I started this thread...:dunno::confused:
BTW thanks for all your input....:think:

Hi, Compact is for portability so that I can carry it whenever or wherever I go and shoot with ease, comfort and speed when the need arises. I can put S95 in my shirt's pocket or LX5 in my trouser's pocket and yet be useful as a camera though I need not be a prof to use it.