Advice for solo traveler going to Hanoi/Sapa/Halong Bay

harnamsc

Mar 15, 2008
Singapore / Melbourne
I'm planning to visit Hanoi for several days, possibly a week, around Sep/October this year.

Heard a lot about the street food and French Quarter. My intention is to fly in either direct from Melbourne or after a stopover in Singapore, and stay at an AirBnB rental near Lake Ho Tay.

Would to ask others who have traveled to Hanoi recently:

1) Do Singapore passport holders require a pre-approved Visa for entering Vietnam? Or would getting one speed up the entry/customs/immigration process? I've heard stories of tourists arriving at Hanoi airport, who got stuck in queues for hours, only to realize at the counter that they're not holding an actual tourist visa and have to apply for one on the spot.

2) Does anyone recommended any money changers in Hanoi?

3) I couldn't find any info about buying an SD card from the airport, so I'm guessing there ain't any. Are there certain places I should only buy an SD card from to avoid getting scammed?

4) Is it possible for me to go to any hotel and book short tours from there to Halong Bay and Sapa? Or should I travel there myself? If so, where can I catch the train/bus and how long is the journey?

5) What kind of power plug and voltage is used in Hanoi? I know that Thailand/Malaysia/Singapore uses the same voltage as Australia, but different plug design only.

6) Lastly, is there a photoshoot / model photography scene in Hanoi? I notice on ModelMayhem there are lots of models in Ho Chi Minh, but almost none in Hanoi. Is shooting models frowned upon in Hanoi? I was hoping to do a photoshoot or two in between going places. Does anyone know if it's possible or where to find/hire models in Hanoi?

Last edited:
Welcome to Vietnam,

1, From what I know, if you hold Singaporean Passport, you can stay in Vietnam for up to 30days without any VISA.
2, You may go to Ha Trung street in Hanoi for currency exchange.
3, In Hanoi city center, there are plenty of IT shops/plaza that you can go and find SD cards.
4, The hotels usually have contact of their trusted tour guide, you can ask them for more details. Otherwise, you can buy train ticket to Sapa at Hanoi Railway Station (Le Duan street), you should buy the ticket as soon as you arrive Hanoi (the trip duration is usually overnight, and the number of available seat is quite limited). You can go by public bus to Halong Bay, it takes around 4 hours. These bus depart at My Dinh/ Luong Yen/ Gia Lam bus stations (15 to 30min interval between each trip). You can always buy ticket on spot there. But if you book through your hotel, the tour provider may pick you up at your convenient location by a smaller/faster travel bus.
5, 220V 50Hz, with mostly 2 pin plug design. The hotel usually provide plug adapter and you can borrow from receptionist.

Last edited:
1) Please check the MFA website which states clearly for which country Singapore passport holder require a visa. Do not trust other sources.
2) Bring along USD in notes, not sure about ATM and compatibility. Use the money changers in big hotels if you don't want to use the street shops (which worked well for me).
3) I bring my own cards. If you stop over in Singapore get them from airport. Get cards form trusted sources, saving a few bucks on such cheap items is not worth it.
4) Best to use the travel agencies and book a complete package there. You can go alone via train - but then you are in Lao Cai at 5:30am and it's another hour by minivan to get to Sa Pa.
5) Voltage is not relevant if you use travel chargers, they will adjust to the actual voltage. Do check your equipment (label), especially when purchased in US. Get the physical (pin) adapters somewhere in cheap IT malls. On airports and in hotels it will cost much more.

Thanks for the replies guys! A lot of forums also mention USD, is that because the exchange rate is better compared to AUD and SGD? i.e. Australian and Singaporean currency.

Also my bad, I meant getting a SIM Card and not an SD card! =S

Asking because I won't be bringing my laptop with me, so my smartphone will be my main means of getting info from Google.

I plan on renting via AirBnB, just outside the Old Quarter if possible as the weather may be too hot for me to walk around much and I don't have any experience with motorcycles.

And thanks for the advice about the hotel tour guides. I'll probably use those to look for an book a boat tour of Halong Bay and a trip to Sapa Valley.

Thanks for the replies guys! A lot of forums also mention USD, is that because the exchange rate is better compared to AUD and SGD? i.e. Australian and Singaporean currency.
USD is the unofficial second currency in the country. Larger amounts (e.g. tour package price) is gladly accepted in USD, simply because local people have limitations and hurdles getting the Vietnamese Dong exchanged to foreign currencies.

I plan on renting via AirBnB, just outside the Old Quarter if possible as the weather may be too hot for me to walk around much and I don't have any experience with motorcycles.
Weather won't be hotter than Singapore, rather a few stops lower and drier. Unless you have medical conditions that give you trouble in the heat you don't need to worry about anything. Have enough water with you, that's it.
For motorcycles: just observe, see how the locals are doing it. If in doubt, cross the road with a local next to you in the direction of the traffic, follow in the 'shadow'. Main rule: walk straight and at steady pace, don't stop.
They will go around you like a school of fishes goes around a diver. Just watch out for cars and bigger items, they won't stop for you.

Bro.. long time no see... u back?

You going to Vietnam in the next few days..