Advcie for Tripod Head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am also thinking to get one . BTW , how much is the tripod and ball head?

Tripod is abt $480 (B4 10% off)
Ball head is abt $150 (After 10% off)

Total pocket damaged is $630............:sweat:

I think this set up will last me very long long.....

Tripod is abt $480 (B4 10% off)
Ball head is abt $150 (After 10% off)

Total pocket damaged is $630............:sweat:

I think this set up will last a very long long.....

It will. :) Good news: unlike cameras, tripods never go out of style or become obsolete...

Sure there will always be something new and fancy because that's the way things go, but tripods evolve slowly, and your 'old' tripod will continue to hold your camera just as well.

I invested in a tripod/head that I really do intend to keep for a lifetime. My rig will hold virtually anything that I am physically willing and able to carry.

Just check up with the MS color, they quoted $360 for the tripod? I will get a ball head(486, less than 5kg ) will do .

Just check up with the MS color, they quoted $360 for the tripod? I will get a ball head(486, less than 5kg ) will do .

Suggest you get a 488RC2.... The price diff not much...
And I felt 488RC2 is better than 486.....

Suggest you get a 488RC2.... The price diff not much...
And I felt 488RC2 is better than 486.....

Isn't it about 50% more? But I agree that it is better, and that it is worth the price difference. After all, I bought it, so my money is where my mouth is :)

Hate to say this, but ballheads, like tripods, after awhile, if you didn't start off with a very very good/best one, you'll end up more frustrated and spending more money through selling-off and up-grading.

Many of us made that mistake and spent tons more than on combinations that never satisfied.

If you want to save money in the long run, save up a bit more and get one of the Swiss made ballheads.

If you want to save money in the long run, save up a bit more and get one of the Swiss made ballheads.

The "buy the absolute best now and save money in the long run" argument is good, but fails to take into account what people can afford right now, or are prepared to spend. Or even what they need.

Sure, S$2000 on a top of the line CF Gitzo, with an Arca Swiss ball head is nice to have, and it will likely last you 20 years easily, probably more, but if you don't have the budget for it now, does that mean you go without a tripod for the next 5 years until you've saved enough?

My thoughts are : buy something good, and if you outgrow that, you can sell it when you upgrade. In the meantime, you have something to use.

The "buy the absolute best now and save money in the long run" argument is good, but fails to take into account what people can afford right now, or are prepared to spend. Or even what they need.

Sure, S$2000 on a top of the line CF Gitzo, with an Arca Swiss ball head is nice to have, and it will likely last you 20 years easily, probably more, but if you don't have the budget for it now, does that mean you go without a tripod for the next 5 years until you've saved enough?

My thoughts are : buy something good, and if you outgrow that, you can sell it when you upgrade. In the meantime, you have something to use.

din u see e 1st name? :bsmilie:

ideally, look at 2nd-hand stuff. no, not Gitzo or other king-of-the-hill. but for 1st purchases of tripods & (ball/pan&tilt)heads. shot for awhile more, sometimes may end up not buying a full fledged tripod.

those beanbag, table-top mini tripod option may do just fine. many current DSLR now have to "liveview" option. such alternatives increase e likelihood of owner using it more often, due to portability.

point to note even if budget is right- using 3 different tripod of similiar price. yah, i got a CF Gitzo, but still prefer Manfrotto's snap locks. :rolleyes:

There's a difference between what I said and "the absolute best".

Besides, how do you define 'something good'?

However, you make a valid point and it helps keep me on my toes. :thumbsup:

My apologies, I should have said, "Get the very best you can afford, or can afford with a bit more saving up, that suits your current and perhaps near-future needs. There are also excellent 2nd hand offerings as another avenue to affordability as opposed to getting all new. You will appreciate the longer-term savings."

how a specific product (brand/model) feels-
movement smooth anot is machining QC, does tightening while framing the pic move the cam out of position (even a tiny bit) for macro/close-up? is there any weakness like parts getting rusty too soon, not rubustly built, use of low grade material, etc.

how it operates/handling issues-
any clash when 1 hand hold cam, other adjust tripod head. i had this coordination problem once with a pan&tilt head. is it just me? :bsmilie: some design do have quite restrictive pan&tilt movements. personal experience from quite known brand at that... get ballhead that can do without grease (grease + dirt is bad combo).

others-
is the QR machanism's tolerance close (not shakey when locked), some freebie tripod are like that.

am i fussy or wad? :bsmilie: & i often went back to e shopthat lends me their sample to try out in detail. & i can take weeks till i decide to buy that item. big ticket item must have long term planning!

There's a difference between what I said and "the absolute best".

Besides, how do you define 'something good'?

Yes, determining if something is good enough to last at least a few years is tricky. Reading tons of reviews help, trying out for oneself is invaluable.

What's the Swiss made ballhead you recommend, BTW?

Just want to share with you all.
How the set up will be like with my 450D

dsc00025hk6.jpg

dsc00026kq2.jpg

Sorry for the blur pix.. using my PnS camera...:sweat:

Overall I felt the tripod with the ball head is very stable and solid too..

Once again.. Thanks..!!!

pls note, the ball head rating of 8 kg is for normal operation #1. with what you have shown in #2, i think better less the rating by 50% or more.

I just bought myself a Manfrotto 190XPROB and a 488 RC2 ballhead for 1,500 HKD (about SGD 270).

I think it is a decent set up. Total weight is 2.5 kg which i consider to be a bit on the heavy side.

But last time also carry M16 so hopefully wont die carrying this tripod around. :sweatsm:

I just bought myself a Manfrotto 190XPROB and a 488 RC2 ballhead for 1,500 HKD (about SGD 270).

I think it is a decent set up. Total weight is 2.5 kg which i consider to be a bit on the heavy side.

But last time also carry M16 so hopefully wont die carrying this tripod around. :sweatsm:

u forgot ur cam + lense (maybe + flash?) weight. thatz grand total weight... :bsmilie:

to lennyl, can i recommend http://acratech.net/? i am currently using the Ultimate model, an over-the-top recommendation price-wise. not every1 can just buy it like its cheap... :embrass:

to lennyl, for SG$2000 u can have a CF Gitzo (any model) + Acratech (Ultimate?) + 2 QR plates (maybe 1 to lend frd to share tripod?). all 1st hand stuff with a few hundreds to spare. ;p

pls note, the ball head rating of 8 kg is for normal operation #1. with what you have shown in #2, i think better less the rating by 50% or more.

OH....:eek:....
OIC..... I didn't notice that.
Thanks..!!! I'll take note of that....:angel:

Yes, determining if something is good enough to last at least a few years is tricky. Reading tons of reviews help, trying out for oneself is invaluable.

What's the Swiss made ballhead you recommend, BTW?

Yeah, that's a good way to start - the reviews. :thumbsup:

Just learn to look past any possible marketing or brand endorsement hype.

I kinda like the FOBA, but wished that I could afford an Arca Swiss.

Yeah, that's a good way to start - the reviews. :thumbsup:

Just learn to look past any possible marketing or brand endorsement hype.

I kinda like the FOBA, but wished that I could afford an Arca Swiss.

eh Foba's QR mounting plate is rather huge & unrefined. range of movement not good, IMO. i had their M1 http://www.pricegrabber.ca/search_getprod.php/masterid=63933818/st=product/sv=title, it tend to shift right just b4 i tighten the knob. :thumbsd:

get Arca Swiss or Kangringpoch (spell dunno correct anot?) when budget allows lor.

to lennyl, can i recommend http://acratech.net/? i am currently using the Ultimate model, an over-the-top recommendation price-wise. not every1 can just buy it like its cheap... :embrass:

to lennyl, for SG$2000 u can have a CF Gitzo (any model) + Acratech (Ultimate?) + 2 QR plates (maybe 1 to lend frd to share tripod?). all 1st hand stuff with a few hundreds to spare. ;p

No, $2000 is not my budget for a tripod + head, unfortunately. Anyway, you always need a couple of spare QR plates for your lens ring mounts on your long lenses.

I met someone using an Acratech Ultimate a few weeks back when we went out to shoot some landscapes. What impressed me the most is that he can leave the camera with a normal zoom (about 3 kg total?) on his ballhead and carry everything attached to the tripod when we hiked around. I wouldn't trust the RC2 that much. The design of the head also looks very cool, like an armillary sphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.