About Dell Inspiron Notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
hwchoy said:
eh! :eek: :eek: :eek: either your screen is completely koyak or you should check your eyesight. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

no lar...I check dell forum and it seem that dell xga lcd nt tat gd....so I guess wat u pay is wat u get liao....

Just to share some experience of my neighbour who is using Dell.

He bought Dell at a PC show and he addon 3 years complete cover + helpdesk.

Normally the warranty is 1 year limited warranty (next business day On-site) which covers you the parts and labour when your notebook breaks down.

The 3 years complete cover + helpdesk covers your notebook from head to toe including accidental breakdown except theft. Meaning if you accidentally drop your notebook or coffee spill, they will do a thorough check and replace whatever is faulty.

back to the story my neighbour drop his notebook while trying to board the bus and drop his notebook. When I open the notebook, the screen is crack (gone). When I try to power up, couldnt power up. Call up dell support, the person come and replace some parts and the screen. And the notebook is working again.:thumbsup:

Just to share, dell has 2 new models 710m and 630m. 630m is the 2nd lightest among all and with a reasonable good specs like 512DDR-2 ram at 533mhz.

ozora said:
chk out Acer's notebook. Their pricing is normally quite gd and pack with gd specs too.

If possible by extended warranty.
Acer's horrible. The worst. Slow and damaged easily. IBM and Dell are acceptable.

i just love the dell on site warrenty.
i hate travelling to jurong for acer support,my last repair takes me 2 trips from bishan.:thumbsd:

IBM do have on-site service or you can also send in to post office they will send to IBM office to fix it. :) IBM support is also very good.

alwayschampion said:
IBM do have on-site service or you can also send in to post office they will send to IBM office to fix it. :) IBM support is also very good.

they (IBM) can't even find my replacement battery when quoted the FRU. and when they finally did, after my IT guys shouted at them, they wanted to charge $260 for a battery.

:angry: ibm are crap!!!
some of my company ibm laptop spoilt (harddisk, lcd, ram, etc....) just a few weeks after we get it.:angry:
not sure if it's due to the takeover by china company.;p

alwayschampion said:
Just to share some experience of my neighbour who is using Dell.

He bought Dell at a PC show and he addon 3 years complete cover + helpdesk.

Normally the warranty is 1 year limited warranty (next business day On-site) which covers you the parts and labour when your notebook breaks down.

The 3 years complete cover + helpdesk covers your notebook from head to toe including accidental breakdown except theft. Meaning if you accidentally drop your notebook or coffee spill, they will do a thorough check and replace whatever is faulty.

back to the story my neighbour drop his notebook while trying to board the bus and drop his notebook. When I open the notebook, the screen is crack (gone). When I try to power up, couldnt power up. Call up dell support, the person come and replace some parts and the screen. And the notebook is working again.:thumbsup:

Actually I also got the 3 yrs complete cover....was wondering if I "accidentally" drop the laptop into a swimming pool can change a new one anot? :bsmilie: ....every yr can change new laptop liao...;p

scramblur11 said:
Actually I also got the 3 yrs complete cover....was wondering if I "accidentally" drop the laptop into a swimming pool can change a new one anot? :bsmilie: ....every yr can change new laptop liao...;p

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

How does centrino fares in applications such as photoshop and capture 1?

behyx said:
How does centrino fares in applications such as photoshop and capture 1?

its just a sticker they put on the lower right corner of your laptop. :p

as for the label next to it, the one that says "designed for Windows XP" it is a reminder for you to reboot your laptop every four hours before it hangs by itself. :bsmilie:

my company has several dell laptops. all of which are less than a year old. They are taking turns to the service centres. :dunno:

Another problem is that once they go into suspend/sleep mode, it doesn't wakes up.:bsmilie:

If you are not very technical in IT equipment, I would recommend you to buy Dell notebook since they are the only one here that provide phone support and on-site support at "no extra" cost. Most of the time the service people will try to resolve the issue on their first visit because ....... not good to write it here ;) . I used to work in the company that was Dell first service provider when they enter the Singapore market, managing the on-site service for Dell hardware repair ;p .

PS: I am not from Dell or their service provider. I don't use Dell notebook or desktop too.

yanyewkay said:
my company has several dell laptops. all of which are less than a year old. They are taking turns to the service centres. :dunno:

Another problem is that once they go into suspend/sleep mode, it doesn't wakes up.:bsmilie:

:bsmilie: ya tink I got the same prob too...my frenz who bought the same laptop as mine as has tis prob fr time to time.....once go to sleep, cant wake up...den got to switch off the whole laptop.....but other than this, I so far quite happy with my laptop....;)

scramblur11 said:
:bsmilie: ya tink I got the same prob too...my frenz who bought the same laptop as mine as has tis prob fr time to time.....once go to sleep, cant wake up...den got to switch off the whole laptop.....but other than this, I so far quite happy with my laptop....;)

Update to the latest BIOS might help.

Ola said:
Update to the latest BIOS might help.

it doesn't. some models just have this problem. my old Dell 6000 did that. My Thinkpad R40e even worst. Now my new Dell 6000 works fine, even WiFi and bluetooth activates fine from hibernation.

suspend/sleep mode is different from hibernation.
In suspend/sleep mode, data are still in memory. Data can be lost if power is removed. You will notice the on/off light is blinking when in suspend/sleep mode
In hibernation mode, the data are stored in a reserved space in the hard disk and the notebook is powered off. Data are not lost.

Both is trying to achieve the same things but using different method.

Status
Not open for further replies.