A watch for my 17th birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not take a look at Russian-made watches? They're value for money, uncommon and craftsmanship's comparable to Swiss-made watches.

Believe you'd be able to get a decent one with your budget ;)

I also go to club. Community Club.

While there is nothing really wrong with showing off your (parents') money, it does grate people a bit when kids start rubbing their wealth into people's faces. I guess it's the inexperience of youth, that's why it's probably unintentional that TS is doing so, simply because he doesn't even realise it. What's there to show off? Just for going to club? Indeed.

There are many people who have to bust their butts off every month, and they don't even get to take home $2.5k. Sure, this is a photography forum, where a lot of people got expensive DSLRs and exotic glass (and even more who don't), but most everybody has to EARN their keep.

Sorry if people here, including myself, sound a bit judgemental and presumptuous, but if you haven't even started working for your $2.5k, you really don't have the right to come here and rub it in our faces and make that amount seem like small change. I've had JC friends who came from rich families but they don't go, "Oh, I've got $2500, what nice present should I get for myself??" And even when they started earning the kind of salary that can make your head spin, you still won't hear these kind of pompous remarks from their mouths.

You want a watch that best describes who you are? Try one that spells out P-O-S-E-U-R.

hi Synapseman,

i do agree with the in-ur-face(ness) of online forum. but neither do i see this kind of comment levelled on those who brag about big ticket photographic purchaces. please keep comments on a more civil tone, leave out the "you really don't have the right to come here and rub it in our faces and make that amount seem like small change" qoute. its not about bragging rights, its about bragging.

to TS, kindly lock ur thread. or should mods step-in?

i bust my butt for $500 bucks a month (internship la) and i do feel a jealous that the TS can just go "oh, i've got $2.5k to buy myself a nice watch to reflect who i am" so easily. but i do think that we can, but we shouldn't ask him to shut up. This is the kopitiam, so he isn't breaking any rules. he isn't saying "haha all you sods can't afford to buy a watch like that, so kiss my furry little butt". all he's asking for is opinions on what watch he should get.

as sore-eyez has said, you see people in CS buying DSLRs, lenses, tripods and flashes, and we don't ask them not to rub it in our faces. But i do agree with synapseman on one thing. If you aren't earning the money, don't spend it the way you're spending it. (refering only to THIS purchase of a watch, not to your lifestyle since i don't know your lifestyle anyway) Of course, if you saved for your watch/worked to earn the cash, then by all means, go ahead and spend it. If its cash given by your parents/relatives, then please, save it or use it wisely.

on an unrelated note,i wish i had money to spend just like that. :bsmilie:

oh and i suggest a russian watch or something not too common. no need to be uber expensive with bling bling, diamonds and that kinda of thing, but a simple elegant watch shouldn't cost too mcuh either. it isn't about the price all the time, some statements can be made with less expensive goods :)

Last edited:
there are Russian/German watches using the Vajoux 7750 & the ETA 2824.
Worth looking at as they are about $2k.

u can look at it as a Skoda that uses VW engines :bsmilie:

I also go to club. Community Club.

While there is nothing really wrong with showing off your (parents') money, it does grate people a bit when kids start rubbing their wealth into people's faces. I guess it's the inexperience of youth, that's why it's probably unintentional that TS is doing so, simply because he doesn't even realise it. What's there to show off? Just for going to club? Indeed.

There are many people who have to bust their butts off every month, and they don't even get to take home $2.5k. Sure, this is a photography forum, where a lot of people got expensive DSLRs and exotic glass (and even more who don't), but most everybody has to EARN their keep.

Sorry if people here, including myself, sound a bit judgemental and presumptuous, but if you haven't even started working for your $2.5k, you really don't have the right to come here and rub it in our faces and make that amount seem like small change. I've had JC friends who came from rich families but they don't go, "Oh, I've got $2500, what nice present should I get for myself??" And even when they started earning the kind of salary that can make your head spin, you still won't hear these kind of pompous remarks from their mouths.

You want a watch that best describes who you are? Try one that spells out P-O-S-E-U-R.

hi Synapseman,

i do agree with the in-ur-face(ness) of online forum. but neither do i see this kind of comment levelled on those who brag about big ticket photographic purchaces. please keep comments on a more civil tone, leave out the "you really don't have the right to come here and rub it in our faces and make that amount seem like small change" qoute. its not about bragging rights, its about bragging.

to TS, kindly lock ur thread. or should mods step-in?

i bust my butt for $500 bucks a month (internship la) and i do feel a jealous that the TS can just go "oh, i've got $2.5k to buy myself a nice watch to reflect who i am" so easily. but i do think that we can, but we shouldn't ask him to shut up. This is the kopitiam, so he isn't breaking any rules. he isn't saying "haha all you sods can't afford to buy a watch like that, so kiss my furry little butt". all he's asking for is opinions on what watch he should get.

as sore-eyez has said, you see people in CS buying DSLRs, lenses, tripods and flashes, and we don't ask them not to rub it in our faces. But i do agree with synapseman on one thing. If you aren't earning the money, don't spend it the way you're spending it. (refering only to THIS purchase of a watch, not to your lifestyle since i don't know your lifestyle anyway) Of course, if you saved for your watch/worked to earn the cash, then by all means, go ahead and spend it. If its cash given by your parents/relatives, then please, save it or use it wisely.

on an unrelated note,i wish i had money to spend just like that. :bsmilie:

oh and i suggest a russian watch or something not too common. no need to be uber expensive with bling bling, diamonds and that kinda of thing, but a simple elegant watch shouldn't cost too mcuh either. it isn't about the price all the time, some statements can be made with less expensive goods :)

synapseman is entitled to his comments too. So long he isn't rude or anything. no problems with me. And, i do know where he's coming from.

Sorry to anyone and everyone who felt that i was too "in-your-face".

But honestly, i'm just asking for some recommendations.

Furthermore, i would like to clarify that what synapseman said is pretty flawed. He made alot of assumptions about me. eg, the money is my parent's money, i don't work, i apparently come from a jc (maybe he was making a reference to my age)-"ad hominem". Does my desire for a watch only be "correct" when i'm 30 years old?

The money could be mine, think again. I might work, think again. I might work my ass off after school in a coffeeshop, and after donating half my pay, and saving the other half, i'm left with $2500 and i have a thing for watches. So, please, clarify.
I wont bother saying where i come from or telling everyone what my, as my teacher always puts it, "sad story".
Or, if not, i might seem to be "pompous", w-o-w.

Look, almost 40% of our populace make below 3k a month, much less to say be able to afford a 2.5k watch.

But, i don't think i've put anyone down in my posts so far. I, would just like to find a suitable watch. That's all.

if u didn't mentioned D50 then D80, ppl will be more open-minded. In clubsnap, where Camera is most sought-after item, u are more susceptible to being bashed when u bring them up/out. ;) Nevertheless, u r a very cool guy. :thumbsup:

BTW, can you compile a list of those watches u have got so far? share with us pls?

Do look at Oris, they are good watches that is undervalued

if u didn't mentioned D50 then D80, ppl will be more open-minded. In clubsnap, where Camera is most sought-after item, u are more susceptible to being bashed when u bring them up/out. ;) Nevertheless, u r a very cool guy. :thumbsup:

BTW, can you compile a list of those watches u have got so far? share with us pls?

Do look at Oris, they are good watches that is undervalued

lol wah don't think so poorly of some of us, its nothing to do with the D50 and D80, believe me lol.

hmmm ok i know nothing about watches, the only thing i know is that they tick and they tell me the time. hoho! ok i shall leave this thread. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
TS,

You are 17 (or so you said). You have 2.5k that you want to buy a watch with. So you come to this forum to ask for recommendations. But instead of recommendations, you get more than your fair share of brickbats, bitchings and moral putdowns. Tough. But you have conducted yourself well :sweat::thumbsup:. You did not get down into gutter fights with those who wanted to pull you down or put you down:blah:. Bravo....you deserve the watch, every second of it :cheergal:

My point? Stick to the point. TS ask for your opinion/recommendation for a watch as he has $2.5k to spend. Don't offer your moral take on his age, money, lifestyle etc. If you have no recommendation, don't make any and leave. It's his life and we are not his father/mother. We know nada about him. Stick to the point. Can?

i know it may sound 'uncle', but you can take a look at some of the JDM Seikos. Credor, Phoenix range if you are looking at SGD2.5k budget. Even some of the 'normal' range Seikos can also set you back by 2k.

Top of the line are the Grand Seikos

TS,

You are 17 (or so you said). You have 2.5k that you want to buy a watch with. So you come to this forum to ask for recommendations. But instead of recommendations, you get more than your fair share of brickbats, bitchings and moral putdowns. Tough. But you have conducted yourself well :sweat::thumbsup:. You did not get down into gutter fights with those who wanted to pull you down or put you down:blah:. Bravo....you deserve the watch, every second of it :cheergal:

HAHAHAHA. Are you serious???? Because of that you think he DESERVES the watch?

You're funny.

yes...it's his life. He deserves whatever he thinks he deserves (within the law of course). That's exactly my point. Who are we to judge? We don't even know him. He ask for recommendation on watches, so either we give or we don't. Unless he specifically ask for it, why are we passing moral judgement on his choice of lifestyle, how he spend his money or his parents' money as some have assumed?

consider sinn u1, one of those highly sought watches with a price tag ard 2.3k. timeless, rugged, made of submarine steel.

*disperse crowd*

move along, move along...
Any personal disagreements please take it to private msg. Or meet in person to discuss merits and flaws. Allowing this to continue, only end up everybody comparing who got the biggest club. (club as in caveman hantam type of club...)
:sweat:

p.s.
TS... maybe next time start a "asking for recommendations" thread, please do leave out "juicy details". You are asking for opinion on watches, not opinions on your lifestyle, family and friends. Thanks

Last edited:
i know it may sound 'uncle', but you can take a look at some of the JDM Seikos. Credor, Phoenix range if you are looking at SGD2.5k budget. Even some of the 'normal' range Seikos can also set you back by 2k.

Top of the line are the Grand Seikos

those JDM Seikos not readily available in SG rite?

the new Seiko Velantura Kenetic SRH-005 with Direct Drive looks good.

consider sinn u1, one of those highly sought watches with a price tag ard 2.3k. timeless, rugged, made of submarine steel.

Sinn U1 always out of stock leh.
Price is going up & up all the time

orders can be taken, provided u have the patience to wait for a few months.

sinn u1.

Last edited:

At 2.3k, it is definitely not expensive. It is one of those cult brand that u can wear to the beach and not worry about thrashing it. You can also wear it to a gathering of bankers , lawyers and what nots and it will still fit in. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.