A smartphone for capturing short videos

Fidgetspinner

Aug 29, 2017
Singapore
Looking for a smartphone to capture videos, as per title.
With the following minimum specifications:
(1) Minimum aperture f/29, max shutter speed 1/8000
(2) Dynamic IS, 5 Axis image stabilization
(3) At least 60fps in full HD 1080p
(4) Decent clean motion image quality in low light
(5) Physical dimension about 16.5cm x 8cm x 1cm max (i need to fit it on a rig, so the measurements limit)
(6) Price is the last consideration, if the above specifications are met i may consider paying.

Thanks.

Let me play the devil's advocate.

Looking for a smartphone to capture videos, as per title.
With the following minimum specifications:
(1) Minimum aperture f/29, max shutter speed 1/8000

Ans:
Is it feasible to use f29 even if it is possible when for all intents and purposes the lens will be a wide angle where the depth of field is a given. As for 1/8000th shutter, this will be implemented electronically scanning line/row by line but subject to the processing power of cpu. Any good processor is capable to 1/16000th. sec. Where phone give option to select speed is another question. You want to minimise rolling shutter effects?

(2) Dynamic IS, 5 Axis image stabilization.

Ans: without resorting to a gimbal?

You are in luck as oppo has announced model Oppo Find X5 Pro.

(3) At least 60fps in full HD 1080p

Ans: Easily doable on most good phones by now.

(4) Decent clean motion image quality in low light

Ans: I think you know that it is quite a challenge for a tiny sensor but you also want 60 FPS. In general all your requirements can be met if you shoot in bright light. Indoors depends on the noise reduction implemented by the software and if it let's you have control or options to choose what kind of noise reduction or disabling it. Bear in mind the more noise reduction image sharpness suffers and noise artifacts appear. Best is to import to video editing software where it has better noise image processing than let phone do everything. Yes more work for you.

(5) Physical dimension about 16.5cm x 8cm x 1cm max (i need to fit it on a rig, so the measurements limit)

Ans: most 6 inch phones are of this size.

(6) Price is the last consideration, if the above specifications are met i may consider paying.

Ans: Amazon.sg selling oppo find 5 pro for S $1250, only 1 left in stock. ( At time of this post. )

Ans: I think it is priced competitively.

The pros and cons when it comes to recording video on phones.

Your target phone, is it available now?

Why you should avoid using f18 to F40 but this applies to larger sensors?

Last edited: