A Singaporean in Afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow.... livin my dream mate.. thats exactly what i wanna do in the future haha

looks dangerous... keep safe buddy!

Thanks everyone for the thumbs up! I'm sorry I've dropped off the face of earth for the past 3 months but things has been rather hectic. Anyway, just want to say that I'm back in Afghanistan and will be here for the next 2 to 3 months depending on the embed I can get. At the moment it is rather difficult to get one in southern Afghanistan with the US Marines... I've started my blog again so feel free to drop by and have a read.

Stay cool, people!

Here's a reality check for many who thinks that war is a lot about action, getting shot at or shooting. Most of the time nothing ever happens and soldiers do try to find things to amuse themselves with such as: "... after 5 days of boredom I finally had something to do! I'm gonna keep this short as I'm tired and badly in need of a shower. First off, I went up to the shooting with a couple of guys from the artillery unit - just to shoot off some rounds. They let me have a go at the biggest, baddest sniper rifle ever: the .50 cal Barrett Sniper Rifle. It was big, long and had a surprisingly mild kick! I mean that in relation to the size of the weapon. Pretty impressive!"

But then once in a blue moon us journalists gets to do cool stuff too like: "... the artillery unit had a fire mission on their 105mm field gun late in the afternoon in support of a patrol base. The guys were pretty professional yet relaxed about the whole thing. And the bonus: they let me actually fire the last round! (BIG GRIN!) Now that's the biggest gun I've ever fired!"

All in the name of reporting from the frontline!;)
3888729897_c9019d2661_m.jpg
3888729835_c37f7340cc_m.jpg

Here's a reality check for many who thinks that war is a lot about action, getting shot at or shooting. Most of the time nothing ever happens and soldiers do try to find things to amuse themselves with such as: "... after 5 days of boredom I finally had something to do! I'm gonna keep this short as I'm tired and badly in need of a shower. First off, I went up to the shooting with a couple of guys from the artillery unit - just to shoot off some rounds. They let me have a go at the biggest, baddest sniper rifle ever: the .50 cal Barrett Sniper Rifle. It was big, long and had a surprisingly mild kick! I mean that in relation to the size of the weapon. Pretty impressive!"

But then once in a blue moon us journalists gets to do cool stuff too like: "... the artillery unit had a fire mission on their 105mm field gun late in the afternoon in support of a patrol base. The guys were pretty professional yet relaxed about the whole thing. And the bonus: they let me actually fire the last round! (BIG GRIN!) Now that's the biggest gun I've ever fired!"

All in the name of reporting from the frontline!;)
3888729897_c9019d2661_m.jpg
3888729835_c37f7340cc_m.jpg

Wow! .50 cal! thats huge man! wish i could go there, that'd be my dream job, shooting in the field (with a camera that is).

nonetheless, becareful out there. a photographer was killed by US soldiers as they saw his lens as a grenade launcher :sweat: 我为你拔个冷汗。

PS, im sure you can contact SAF or someone back here in SG to send you those packed nasi lamak and laksa rations. memories and kudos from singapore.

Are you serious? Maybe I really should get SAF to send me some nasi lemak & Laksa rations! Damn! When I was in SAF, the ration was pretty bad... Most of the food here in smaller bases are served up by the US Army and it's generally American food with lots of pastry, desserts, etc. Yummy but you can only eat so much bland western food. :D

So who do I talk to for Nasi Lemak & Laksa? ;)

Just got back from field camp, i don't think they have nasi lemak and laksa combat rations anymore...
they have stuff like lebanese chicken rice, mushroom pasta, chicken dumpling(rice)... and alot others they have abt 16 varieties iirc...

Asiansheperd, I have a question. During your months of being embedded as a PJ, was there even a few times when your life was in some kind of danger?
During nights of deep silence and empty skies, did you not think: "What the hell am I doing here?" and what was your answer to yourself?
Sorry, I don't mean to be probing but a life such as yours is something that I am sure many people only dream of living and few would actually live it out. Thanks!

Being in conflict zone is already putting yourself in danger and as such you try not to dwell on it but just get the job done. If you mean have I ever been shot at then the answer is no (t)...yet. I had a rocket fired at the outpost I was stationed at. The unit was engaged in a three hours firefight one night and I wasn't there but ended up documenting the damage and the dead insurgents. Every day when I go out on a mounted patrol with the platoon travelling in Humvees (now banned for patrols due to too many deaths) I stressed about getting hit by an IED (Improvised Explosive Device) or a RPG attack. There certainly was plenty of stress to go round for everyone involved! Journalists has been killed or injured while on embeds but the number is still pretty small compared to what's is going on here. As a matter of fact a female radio journalist got wounded by an IED last week...

I never really questioned myself as to what I am doing here mainly because I chose to come here on my own free will. The nights of deep silence and empty skies would see me sound asleep - usually tired from the activity of the day and getting ready for the next. However, I do get bored whenever there's no patrols or nothing's going on for days on ends due to weather or other stuff. Then I entertain myself by reading, going to the gym (they have one at nearly every bases or getting on the internet (like today) and having the time to write, post blogs or call family.

At the end of the day, minus the danger factor, I do enjoy what I do here even though covering the conflict as a US media embed means seeing the war from only a limited angle.

Being in conflict zone is already putting yourself in danger and as such you try not to dwell on it but just get the job done. If you mean have I ever been shot at then the answer is no (t)...yet. I had a rocket fired at the outpost I was stationed at. The unit was engaged in a three hours firefight one night and I wasn't there but ended up documenting the damage and the dead insurgents. Every day when I go out on a mounted patrol with the platoon travelling in Humvees (now banned for patrols due to too many deaths) I stressed about getting hit by an IED (Improvised Explosive Device) or a RPG attack. There certainly was plenty of stress to go round for everyone involved! Journalists has been killed or injured while on embeds but the number is still pretty small compared to what's is going on here. As a matter of fact a female radio journalist got wounded by an IED last week...

I never really questioned myself as to what I am doing here mainly because I chose to come here on my own free will. The nights of deep silence and empty skies would see me sound asleep - usually tired from the activity of the day and getting ready for the next. However, I do get bored whenever there's no patrols or nothing's going on for days on ends due to weather or other stuff. Then I entertain myself by reading, going to the gym (they have one at nearly every bases or getting on the internet (like today) and having the time to write, post blogs or call family.

At the end of the day, minus the danger factor, I do enjoy what I do here even though covering the conflict as a US media embed means seeing the war from only a limited angle.

thanks for sharing! it's refreshing to see some solid content here in clubsnap. stay safe man, bookmarked your blog and looking forward to seeing more updates.

Hey thanks a lot for sharing with us your experience in Afghanistan.
It is not everyday a 40 yr old (44 yr old in your case) man takes a deep breath and a great leap to do what you are doing now.
As much as I salute your courage, I lament the multitudes of strings that are tied to men at this stage of their lives in preventing them from following your footsteps.

Are you serious? Maybe I really should get SAF to send me some nasi lemak & Laksa rations! Damn! When I was in SAF, the ration was pretty bad... Most of the food here in smaller bases are served up by the US Army and it's generally American food with lots of pastry, desserts, etc. Yummy but you can only eat so much bland western food. :D

So who do I talk to for Nasi Lemak & Laksa? ;)

Try sending SAF an email asking them to send the rations to your relatives or a friend and then send to you?

Exciting... do stay safe.

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1919889,00.html
just to share pictures of another embedded photographer in afghanistan...
it is not something that anyone could be in .... or ever want to be in....
Yeah.... zoossh. A very real account of war in Afghanistan/Iraq by a very real photojournalist.
Definitely nothing exotic nor romantic about PJ embedded in the military forces.
Well linked, and certainly well worth the time just reading it.
Thank you.

Your photos required to be cleared by the forces there? Sadly, I have many such similar photos when I was in service. Too bad can't post it due to MSD and all the Security Acts. Pics of of our guys carry SAR21 also secret....background and other equipment seen like no other than in Open House.

Good for you your pics can be put up on the net. Good for portfolio...cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.