A day at Kampong Buangkok

Windcharm

Nov 25, 2010
Please pardon me if the pictures are not as good as compared to others. I am not a pro and I do not have an DSLR. Hopefully one day I can upgrade to DSLR when my photography skill is better.

Finally, I got to visit the Kampong Buangkok, a last frontier I must say. It was not a prefect day for photography but my friend and I still went and I am glad that we did before the force of urbanization conquers this last remaining kampong in Singapore.

Walking into KG Buangkok brought me back to fond memories of my childhood, of how life was simple and community spirit was strong then. It was so much in contrast with modern day Singapore. We could learn a thing or two about improving our relationships with our neighbors.

I personally feel that KG Buangkok should be conserved for education. It will be a wonderful experience for the younger generation to visit this place and see what life was like before urbanization instead of reading about it from textbooks...

Way back to the past @ Kampong Buangkok

Kampong Buangkok Since 1954

Stepping into Kampong Buangkok seem like walking through a time tunnel that brings me back to the yesterday of Singapore.

Kampong house

A better built 2 storeys house in Kampong Buangkok. Perhaps, this belong to the head of the village.

Another Kampong House

Another typical kampong's house with galvanized roof and wooden fences.

Leading Me Home

An old lamp hanging on a tree at the entrance of the house to lead the villager home safely during night.

Last edited:
An Old Letter Box

A make-do swing

This is the playground for the kids and "chit chat" area of the villagers at the backyard of a house.

Reflection

Puddles of water can be seen on the uneven gravel/mud road after rain.

Little Stream

Water Droplets

Water droplets on a leaf after rain

Yellow Flower (Curacao)

This bright flower is from Allamanda cathartica L., a vine belonging to the family ofApocynaceae. The droplets were formed by the rain the day before.

The White Star

This is plant is called "Ixora coccinea", known as the Jungle Geranium, Flame of the Woods, and Jungle Flame, is a common flowering shrub native to Asia. Its name derives from an Indian deity. Usually it is red/orange/yellow in color. In Tagalog, it is called "Santan".

When I was young, I like to pluck these little flowers and suck out the nectar from the stem.

Pussy Cat

This a very territorial pussy cat. She approached us to check up on us when we stepped into her territory.

Shy little Cat

This cat was trying to play hide and seek with me. When I walked closed to her, she ran away. I had to approach her slowly and extend my zoom to take a decent picture of her.

Rural & Urban

In contrast of the modern Singapore building and the kampong houses. The thought of these kampong houses may one day steps into the history and make way for the solid concrete buildings suddenly sadden me.

Nice set of pictures, really remind us that Singapore used to be like this not a long time ago :)

Lovely photos... Really like your enthusiasm and spirit... Keep it up!

how to get to this place??

Neurospark said:
Lovely photos... Really like your enthusiasm and spirit... Keep it up!

Thank you very much for your encouragement. Glad that you like the photos.

jieyi said:
how to get to this place??

Hi jieyi, let me get back to you later on. I have found 2 ways to go there.

Windcharm said:
Hi jieyi, let me get back to you later on. I have found 2 ways to go there.

Go along buangkok green towards Ang Mo Kio. Turn right on buangkok link and turn left to Lorong buangkok. If you are coming from the opposite direction, turn left on Yio Chu Kang road and keep right on Gerald Dr and then Lorong Buangkok. You will see Kampong Buangkok in your right or left from the respective directions.
If from Yio Chu Kang road, turn left to Gerald Dr then Lorong Buangkok.

I suggest go around 9am so as too early may disturb the "villagers" there.

Hope this help.

Last edited:
Kampong Buangkok Since 1954

I just realized that "1954" does not mean that the kampong was established in 1954. It was the postal code of this Kampong when Singapore still uses 4 digits postal code then.

Photography not only opens up my eyes but also enriches my knowledge.

Kampong Buangkok (simplified Chinese: 罗弄万国村; pinyin: Luónòng Wàn Guó Cūn) was a village location found in mainland Singapore. Built in 1956, it was the last surviving kampong (village) located at Kampong Lorong Buangkok in Hougang, in the north eastern region of Singapore in the 21st century. A wide canal ran alongside the kampong, which links to Sungei Punggol that drains into the eastern Straits of Johor.

Last edited: