7D with 15-85mm

LimTH

Sep 2, 2009
Hi Folks,
I've been wondering if this is a good setup for a newbie like me?
Kindly share some light.

LimTH said:
Hi Folks,
I've been wondering if this is a good setup for a newbie like me?
Kindly share some light.

It depends a lot on your budget and what you intend to shoot.. if you are into birding, I doubt the reach would be sufficient.. so, we can't really tell u what you need.. only you'll know exactly.. and to discover what you like to shoot, any camera with a lens attached is sufficient.. from there, you'll find out what you're lacking..:)

Hi there, I'm a noob too. Depending on what you want to shoot, both the body and lens are good.

I'm using 60D and the 15-85mm lens, as 7D is heavy for me, don't need the 8fps either. The lens is really sharp, but does not work well at night without flash with its variable aperture starting at 3.5. Having said that, I like its zoom range as a walkabout lens, got a 430 EXII to help with night shots. :)

if you're exloring and trying out then it's a good lens to start with. good image quality, 15mm enough to cover most wide situations, and zoom up to 85mm which should be sufficient.

I think that the 7D and 15-85mm combo is a great match-up. The lens has gotten consistently great reviews from both professional reviewers and users.

This is a very good walk-about lens that will likely stay on your camera for most situations. When you begin to branch out into macro, birding, sports, events, etc. then you may consider other lenses that are more suitable.

It depends a lot on your budget and what you intend to shoot.. if you are into birding, I doubt the reach would be sufficient.. so, we can't really tell u what you need.. only you'll know exactly.. and to discover what you like to shoot, any camera with a lens attached is sufficient.. from there, you'll find out what you're lacking..:)
Hi Diluted, I'm more of a street person, was using 18-135mm but BBB, now thinking of better IQ.

Hi there, I'm a noob too. Depending on what you want to shoot, both the body and lens are good.
I'm using 60D and the 15-85mm lens, as 7D is heavy for me, don't need the 8fps either. The lens is really sharp, but does not work well at night without flash with its variable aperture starting at 3.5. Having said that, I like its zoom range as a walkabout lens, got a 430 EXII to help with night shots. :)
Hi Syeet, night shots are always a challenge for kit lens.

if you're exloring and trying out then it's a good lens to start with. good image quality, 15mm enough to cover most wide situations, and zoom up to 85mm which should be sufficient.
CPhoto, you've just given me another BBB shot, hehe

I think that the 7D and 15-85mm combo is a great match-up. The lens has gotten consistently great reviews from both professional reviewers and users.
This is a very good walk-about lens that will likely stay on your camera for most situations. When you begin to branch out into macro, birding, sports, events, etc. then you may consider other lenses that are more suitable.
Hi Raydio, I'm using this for a walkabout, so hopefully it's suffieient.

Agree. It is a good walkabout lens. Nice size and weight. 17-55mm is versatile but lack the range for street shots.

For me, 15-85mm on 7D is very useful for walkabout. I used to have a 24-105mm on 7D but 24mm on 1.6X crop (equivalent to 38mm on FF) is simply not wide enough for me. I used this combination on my recent trip and the 15-85mm was used for 90% of my shots. If I need f2.8, I simply change to my 50mm prime :) For amateur photographer like me, I couldn't quite tell the difference between 24-105 and 15-85 in term of Image Quality (IQ). The vignetting issue with 15-85mm could be easily corrected in post-processing.

the iq and is is just superb, i could only think of the 17 55 that rivals it on the efs line for a general range

i too came from the 18-135 but i traded it for the 17-55 cause' the constant f2.8 aperture proved to be too useful. when you need the extra stop of light, you will really want it to be there. for the longer range i have my 85/f1.8 to supplement it, so nothing to fret about also albeit the need to change lens. but hey, that's the beauty of DSLR right? :)

For me, 15-85mm on 7D is very useful for walkabout. I used to have a 24-105mm on 7D but 24mm on 1.6X crop (equivalent to 38mm on FF) is simply not wide enough for me. I used this combination on my recent trip and the 15-85mm was used for 90% of my shots. If I need f2.8, I simply change to my 50mm prime :) For amateur photographer like me, I couldn't quite tell the difference between 24-105 and 15-85 in term of Image Quality (IQ). The vignetting issue with 15-85mm could be easily corrected in post-processing.
Hi Twin, Yes you are right, i'm feeling that way too.

i too came from the 18-135 but i traded it for the 17-55 cause' the constant f2.8 aperture proved to be too useful. when you need the extra stop of light, you will really want it to be there. for the longer range i have my 85/f1.8 to supplement it, so nothing to fret about also albeit the need to change lens. but hey, that's the beauty of DSLR right? :)
Halo Tecnica, it seems that i'm moving towardes your side already

currently using the 15-85mm most of time on my 7D and I think it will continue to stay connected to my 7D most of time. To me it produced gd IQ, range is good enough for general use.
Only disadvantage is it variable aperture.

currently using the 15-85mm most of time on my 7D and I think it will continue to stay connected to my 7D most of time. To me it produced gd IQ, range is good enough for general use.
Only disadvantage is it variable aperture.

Hi Huatman, that's the only downside.However, if it's constant aperture, can we still afford it?
Bloody Canon

It is a very good combo for a starter other than a full frame and will not buy another for some time to come except lenses to cover your range of shooting.

Hi Huatman, that's the only downside.However, if it's constant aperture, can we still afford it?
Bloody Canon

Agree, the price of the lens is around $1k, it has constant aperture it will cost even more and guess the size will be bulky and heavy. But must say it really a good walkabout lens.

Finally broke daughter's piggy bank and pulled the trigger..
Enjoying it, thanks for all positive responses.

Mine is only 550D + 15-85mm.

I'm very happy user of this lens, previously upgraded from 18-135mm. The IQ is really superb.

http://bsentosa.blogspot.com/

Same 60D + 15-85mm setup. Great for travelling. Best to invest in a good tripod, which will be needed for things like sunset and waterfalls (where flash can't help).