70-300mm Lense on D90

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navin

Dec 4, 2009
Kampong Kembangan, Singapore
Hi everyone

Was walking around some shop today after lunch. Checking out prices for lenses.

Came across a 70-300mm going for $290. Only catch is, no VR & Auto focus.

Just wondering, whether anyone knows if it is compatible with the D90?

And it is a good buy? (Besides the downside of not taking good night shots unless you use a stand)

Regards
Navin

Hi everyone

And it is a good buy? (Besides the downside of not taking good night shots unless you use a stand)

Regards
Navin

You must be referring to the 70-300G.. No VR but will AF on ur D90 body.

Dunoe abt the rest, i find VR pretty essential when snapping at longer focal lengths..

If u have the dough, i rather u go for the VR ver.

290 for a non vr is a good buy. It's compatible with D90 as it will auto focus with camera bodies with motor.
I was thinking of the same question also. Do some research on it and try both lens ( AFD 70 - 300 and AFS 70- 300)
Here are some webby for your reference. =)
Hope it helps.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70300af.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70-300-vr.htm

"no VR & Auto focus"

I think Navin means no VR and no AF. Meaning it is a manual lens?

If it is a manual, there will be an aperture ring on the lens.

Last edited:
I have try out the 70 -300mm G for 1 month and exchange it for a 70 -300mm VR ... a lot of difference.. if you have the budget go for the VR save the trouble .. :)

70-300G can auto focus on D90 but speed really slow n from 300mm without VR is not good choice unless u carry tripod most of time

I had one from a friend when I first bought my D90 n sold it fast to save my cabinet space :)

had a d90 with sigma 17-70 and nikon 70-300 vr. Body and sigma have been stolen. Think to buy body d90 again with the new sigma 17-70 OS and stick by the nikon 70-300. Wise? Or go for the 18-200 nikon for more convenience?

i think it's better to save up for the VR version. since it's a slow lens, VR will be pretty much a requirement at the longer end. if your budget can't allow it, perhaps you can look for a 2nd hand one

I have both the 70-300G and 70-300 VR versions. The 70-300G is a crappy low-end consumer lens. IQ is only acceptable from f/8 and above and below 200mm focal length. Need tripod, steady hands or at least 1/500 shutter speed hand-held at full zoom to get sharp pictures.

The 70-300 VR is a different story. Its ED element provides good contrasty and sharp images. VR is also very helpful to prevent motion blurr at shutter speeds of 1/100 at 200mm zoom.

My recommendation is to forget the G version and go for the VR if you are choosing between these two lenses.

I own a AF 70-300mm D version. The one with the ED technology.

Hmm, does it mean, 70-300mm have actually 3 different versions?

As listed under here:
http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/af/index.htm#zoom

There are "currently" three AF versions of the 70-300mm.

However, you will be hard put to find the one you are having (ED) now brand new, so the "current" is a little misleading.

I own a AF 70-300mm D version. The one with the ED technology.

Hmm, does it mean, 70-300mm have actually 3 different versions?

Oh! :eek:

Yup, i bought mine recently off someone in the B/S section.
Have you tried this version? Is this IQ of this one better than the Gleded one?

Just wanna ask, is there anything one can do to tighten loose zoom/focus rings?

Most would agree that IQ-wise & built-wise & even AF-wise, VR > ED > G. (I have tried both the VR and G; not the ED).

Sorry, couldn't advise you on your other query.

Oh! :eek:

Yup, i bought mine recently off someone in the B/S section.
Have you tried this version? Is this IQ of this one better than the Gleded one?

Just wanna ask, is there anything one can do to tighten loose zoom/focus rings?

Hi everyone

Regards
Navin

Hi TS,

I'm quite confused, you mentioned the lens you saw, NO VR & No autofocus? or no VR but with Auto-focus. Do you mean by this?

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70300g.htm

This lens I bet will be compatible with your D90 because in the past, I tried that lens with my D80 before. Was amazed that zoom can reach so far. however, the front lens barrel rotates when it focus and the focusing sound was loud. i would recommend you NOT to buy, save money.

if you really wants to buy, the 70-300mm VR version have pretty good optics. :D you could give it a try.

i own the ED version for almost half a year. and i went to shoot the extreme championship @ ecp skate park last year with a friend who own the G version. compare both lens on site, it produces almost the same IQ. you've got to have stable hands when shooting, otherwise a tripod is helpful. so, i wouldn't say either lens is crappy.
the focus ring should be smooth when you zoom in/out, but the lens won't zoom out itself if you place the camera downwards unlike some Sigma zoom lens.

how do you term 'loose' on the focus ring? if unsure, you can sent it to NSC to check. by the way, the ED version does autofocus fast. you can pm me if you need any help on your newly bought lens.

cheers
papajanggo33

I'd take the 55-200VR AF-S over the 70-300G anytime, unless you are using FF, in which case the 70-300VR would be the next best thing. VR rockszszs :D

Regards,
gibss

= = without VR for a zooms lenses is quite a pain. Its better to have VR then non-VR if you can afford it.

to TS:

there is a total of 3 Nikon 70-300 variants out on the market right now. I do not know if the one that you are talking about is a 1st hand or 2nd hand lens, but here are the 3 different types, in order of cost, from cheapest:

Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 G
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/images1/70-300g/D3S_4830-460.jpg

Nikon AF-D 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/images1/70300ed.jpg

Nikon AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70-300-vr/D3S_9057-600.jpg

I used the first and third before, and frankly, the first one is an absolute waste of time and your money. So if it can auto-focus with your D90, but IQ is disastrous.

I totally adore the third one. and frankly if i have the dough, i wil get that again, but since i already have the 70-200, i am do not need it right now. to me, both lenses got similar IQ when shot at the corresponding apertures.

I never tried the second one befre, but plenty of reviews say that the second one is better then the first version. the third is a complete redesign of the lens, so they frankly cannot be compareed together.

i will advice you to reconsider the first version, if thats what you wanna get. because, price is not attractive enough (i will never pay 290 for that lens, never). i will rather spend more on the 70-300VR, because i know i will love it totally.

to TS:

Nikon AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70-300-vr/D3S_9057-600.jpg

I totally adore the third one. and frankly if i have the dough, i wil get that again, but since i already have the 70-200, i am do not need it right now. to me, both lenses got similar IQ when shot at the corresponding apertures.

second with luntut.
currently using 70-300 vr. mind always itchy .. thought of 70-200 but $$$ issue. ever thought of 80-200? 2nd hand market like not much news but some are off loading the AF and the AF-D which I heard AF-S was the best of the model. PS OT.

anyway, without VR at virtually 300mm, u wont be please with the IQ if u peeped deep into your image below 1/125 - 1/200, under average indoor lighting. this is my feel as I experience it.

if you are into reach and care none to bokeh, this is sharp and good for 70-300VR.
from 200-300mm, image will get soft, which I dun mind, some would.

saving $$$ for the non VR provided you realli have steady hands and have tripod else just shoot in good lighting and should be safe.

Saw some pieces in BnS at much cheaper price.

Personally, used 70-300mm VR once... quite impressive with the zoom range. and VR does really help for me when focal length >150mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.