70-200mm or D400

just get a sigma 70-200 f2.8 2nd hand from BnS if money is the concern, it's ranging from S$600-1000 depend on the version and ur negotiation :), and it's a damn good lens...
sample of the pic taken with sigma 70-200 HSM(version 2 of the sigma 70-200) at F3.5:
221686_1804117516296_1640610115_1758873_6999657_n.jpg

just get a sigma 70-200 f2.8 2nd hand from BnS if money is the concern, it's ranging from S$600-1000 depend on the version and ur negotiation :), and it's a damn good lens...
sample of the pic taken with sigma 70-200 HSM(version 2 of the sigma 70-200) at F3.5:
221686_1804117516296_1640610115_1758873_6999657_n.jpg

Thanks for the sample pic and feedback. May I know what focal length is this image taken?
Reviews of this lens says that image will appear soft at wide open, how are your usage experience thus far at F/2.8?

Thanks for the sample pic and feedback. May I know what focal length is this image taken?
Reviews of this lens says that image will appear soft at wide open, how are your usage experience thus far at F/2.8?
taken at focal 200mm.
2.8 is tad soft but the detail is there, saveable in lightroom or photoshop...
below are the pic taken at 2.8 at 200mm
182737_1705236284327_1640610115_1597634_3598743_n.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks man I think I reached my conclusion on this lens. Still hoping for a surprise announcement on the 27th of April..

all lenses will be appeared soft at wide open...juz some lenses appear to be less soft.

Invest on glass first rather than a body. Jared Polin (FroKnowsphoto), he used a nikon D3000 with a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 APO EX DG MACRO to shoot a concert. The images he took was incredible. Of course he later swotched back to his D3s but you can see some samples images taken with the D3000 near the end of the video.

Check it out, might be useful if you are still deciding.
[video=youtube;bdYWIuyqFXM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdYWIuyqFXM&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

Last edited:
Sgdevilzz said:
Invest on glass first rather than a body. Jared Polin (FroKnowsphoto), he used a nikon D3000 with a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 APO EX DG MACRO to shoot a concert. The images he took was incredible. Of course he later swotched back to his D3s but you can see some samples images taken with the D3000 near the end of the video.

Check it out, might be useful if you are still deciding.
YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdYWIuyqFXM&feature=channel_video_title

That's the exact video that got me poisoned btw. But I do feel the need of the pro features that I found on D300s, such as MUP mode for long exposure. Good glass should come first, since the D400 is not coming anytime soon, I can still wait for that and get this first. Now only pondering MACRO version or OS version. I'm not going for the macro feature btw.

That's the exact video that got me poisoned btw. But I do feel the need of the pro features that I found on D300s, such as MUP mode for long exposure. Good glass should come first, since the D400 is not coming anytime soon, I can still wait for that and get this first. Now only pondering MACRO version or OS version. I'm not going for the macro feature btw.

hmm...based on your above mentioned in "Blue & Magenta"...clearly reflects the answer already...;)

That's follow your "heart" = get the non-macro version...also is better to get "OS"-for Tele-range as it'll somehow benefit in your shooting towards the longer-ends of zoom...:thumbsup:

hmm...based on your above mentioned in "Blue & Magenta"...clearly reflects the answer already...;)

That's follow your "heart" = get the non-macro version...also is better to get "OS"-for Tele-range as it'll somehow benefit in your shooting towards the longer-ends of zoom...:thumbsup:

My heart also tells me spending more is a sin. :p whahaha
My deal didn't went through.. Gotta hunt for either these 2 glasses again... $1200 or $1700 for either of them is a bit too steep, managable with the help by selling my 70-300mm VR, but still steep...

My heart also tells me spending more is a sin. :p whahaha
My deal didn't went through.. Gotta hunt for either these 2 glasses again... $1200 or $1700 for either of them is a bit too steep, managable with the help by selling my 70-300mm VR, but still steep...

perhaps it's time for you to recall that we're getting our "incentives" on 1stMay2011...:bsmilie:(remember...? Or you so fast clean forgotten liao...:sweatsm:??

How...? Not so bad right, with these 2-thingszz (sell your 70-300 + "incentive" on the way...= Not-so-Steep liao-lor...:bsmilie:)

Anyway, all the best in your coming purchase...:thumbsup:

Last edited:
perhaps it's time for you to recall that we're getting our "incentives" on 1stMay2011...:bsmilie:(remember...? Or you so fast clean forgotten liao...:sweatsm:??

How...? Not so bad right, with these 2-thingszz (sell your 70-300 + "incentive" on the way...= Not-so-Steep liao-lor...:bsmilie:)

Anyway, all the best in your coming purchase...:thumbsup:

Oh ya. Great poisonous advice :p
Can think about the OS version. I heard the glass is better. 2 FLD & 3 SLD

Oh ya. Great poisonous advice

erhem...:bsmilie:

Glad that you've finally self-induced that poisonous-BBB(...read your own above mentioned-underlined texts...):bsmilie::sweatsm::bsmilie:

Anyway, best of luck in your up coming purchase...:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Oh ya. Great poisonous advice :p

Hmm... You seem to be buying everything I would like to buy but can't afford to. :)
I shall like vicariously through you. :p
And yes, I too have been contemplating getting the 70-200 f/2.8 after selling off the 70-300. Now been telling myself I'll save (for a few years (decades?) probably) and buy a 500mm f/4 and a good tripod.

Haha.. These are delayed damage. The D400 was my higher priority due to the lacking features in D90, and also dun wish to spend on a D300s now. Now it will be pretty much delayed which allows me to save more money first.

The 70-200mm, however, is still a ponder upgrade for me. If I manage to kick start my portrait shooting, I'll buy the sigma version. And most probably a grey set.