5D III silent shutter

paisatge

Jun 9, 2006
Barcelona, Spain
Anyone has any experience with the silent shutter mode?
Really curious if there's a big difference in the shutter sound.

All I can say, it is super quiet, even better than those from 1D series. The quietest in the EOS line... Best for people who shoots in indoor events or candids :p

Its sounds more electronic n mechanical to me.

It's very quiet, what I don't really like is the normal shutter sound. Sounds plastic, any bro has the same feeling?

It's very quiet, what I don't really like is the normal shutter sound. Sounds plastic, any bro has the same feeling?

Kinda not used to it at first, but seems to be ok after a couple of hundred shots :)

I prefer it to the loud clumpsy mirror slap on 5D2. Brings attention to your subjects... Not good during events.

chengpenguin said:
Kinda not used to it at first, but seems to be ok after a couple of hundred shots :)

I prefer it to the loud clumpsy mirror slap on 5D2. Brings attention to your subjects... Not good during events.

Ya, I agree with u, bro. The 5D2's shutter sound is more solid, but I am kinda getting used to the 5D3's shutter sound after a while just like you. It sounds better and better to me now. LOL!

Maybe it is just me, but mirror slap/shutter sound in normal trigger actually feels a bit like the xxxd body.

In liveview, the shutter noise is really minimal and practically no vibration at all when shutter is released.

NewbieInCS said:
Maybe it is just me, but mirror slap/shutter sound in normal trigger actually feels a bit like the xxxd body.

In liveview, the shutter noise is really minimal and practically no vibration at all when shutter is released.

Not just you,man. I got the same feeling at the beginning, and I found some online video of 5D3 shutter sound to compare in order to convince myself the cam I bought is in good shape. The shutter sound of my cam and the ones in the video do sound the same, so I am kinda used to it now.

Yup, 5D3 is definitely more silent, allows me to do more discreet street shoots. 5D2 is just PLAIN LOUD!

How is the silent shutter's implementation on 5D3? The mirror box returns to its normal position only after you lift your fingers from the shutter button?

yrh0413 said:
How is the silent shutter's implementation on 5D3? The mirror box returns to its normal position only after you lift your fingers from the shutter button?

Nope. It's the standard mirror return. Just quieter.

Nope. It's the standard mirror return. Just quieter.

I'd say much quieter. Definitely not silent, but if you are shooting in events or outdoor where noise is apparent, the new shutter sound blends into background noise well enough.