50mm prime lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi hi,

not sure better in what sense....just that i read somewhere got pple recommend a lens with a particular f-number but someone else recommend a smaller one....so i thought is it the smaller f-number is better....

if you can afford it, get the f/1.2! ;p
My point is, f/1.2 is smaller than the f/1.8 and f/1.4. If you listen to your friend, you'll be getting the f/1.2. Ask yourself, is it worth it, what is your style and do you need it? Borrow from your friend and try out for yourself. See if you like it, suites your style etc, then go out and get it. ;)

Just forget about buying anything for the moment and take a step back, see what you really need. I can sense that you are so convinced about getting a 50mm, all you need is a nudge to justify your trip to the shop. Judging from the questions you're asking, you are not really sure if you need a 50mm. It could be slightly over $100 but so what? You don't need it means you don't need it (at least for the moment, you don't know if you need it).

aloy ah aloy,

it's necessary. haha.

it's a good lens, but not wide enuff for indoor shots, so I would say not to get it.

Just zoom your current lens to 50mm, see if you like that view constantly in an enclosed indoor environment, it's no go for me.

And seriously, the F1.4 is much more love. haha

If I were you I would:

- Put away your kit lens.
- Save up abit more.
- Buy a 17-50mm f/2.8 or 28-75mm f/2.8.

I used to own a kit lens and 50mm prime too. But it's irritating to change lens and I can't really shoot at f/1.8 either. 50mm is not wide enough if you're shooting in a small indoor room anyway. In the end I sold both and got a 17-50 f/2.8. :thumbsup:

Just forget about buying anything for the moment and take a step back, see what you really need. I can sense that you are so convinced about getting a 50mm, all you need is a nudge to justify your trip to the shop. Judging from the questions you're asking, you are not really sure if you need a 50mm. It could be slightly over $100 but so what? You don't need it means you don't need it (at least for the moment, you don't know if you need it).

well said.

To TS, maybe you can wait a while more. No point hurrying. Shoot more with ur current lens, read more and see more. It feels good to own a wide variety of lens. But whether is it necessary at the moment is another question.

Cheers.

hi hi,

thanks for all of your input....will start to think whether i need one or not...

but then i want to ask: anyone think kit len is a good len? of cos i know if u have master a good photography skill u can do wonders with a len...but then i wondering if i use the kit lens for ...hmm..i see one year down the road...is it a good len to use?? i mean i am taking landscape picture for the moment....and low light condition...is it better to invest in other len?

if so which len u all recommend??

thanks....

hi hi,

thanks for all of your input....will start to think whether i need one or not...

but then i want to ask: anyone think kit len is a good len? of cos i know if u have master a good photography skill u can do wonders with a len...but then i wondering if i use the kit lens for ...hmm..i see one year down the road...is it a good len to use?? i mean i am taking landscape picture for the moment....and low light condition...is it better to invest in other len?

thanks....
The kit lens is good enough for most purposes... sure it doesn't give u L quality, but it's good enough.. so stick with it...

no one can tell you which lens u should get at the moment, coz we can't predict what u will be taking in a year's time... like u said, u're taking landscapes and low light shots at the moment.. will u be doing the same in one year? never buy one lens for the sake of it... for learning purposes it's better to use the kit lens.. even if it's for a year.. coz u need to find out what kind of photography u're into before even thinking about getting a lens.. as far as i'm concerned u've got all the range u need... just practise..

to be truthful, the kit lens does quite ok for landscapes... for low light not so good.. but u have to learn to find ways to get around it rather than buying a new lens.. if not everyone will be getting the 50mm f/1.2 and 85mm f/1.2.. over time, u'll learn to see what are the common ranges u use for landscapes and low light.. for eg, maybe u always use around the 85mm rather than the 50mm u thought of buying... then u can make a more informed choice about which lens to get rather than wasting money..

hi,

i got 18mm-55mm kit lens and 55mm-200mm lens....should i get myself a prime len?

i read the threads that prime lens usually will give you a sharper picture, right?

so is it usually for indoor pictures?

please advise

chee kiang

Well, I thinking of getting one myself too :embrass: , after reading many thread from here and dpreview. Many of them give 99% must have for this lens (cheap & good) :) .
Thought of it for two months already. I tried once from a camera shop and another at the IT show. Download the pix and looked at them. Still undecide :dunno:
Yes its cheap. But I think I should save up more to buy a Tokina 12-24 f4 instate.
What you think? (I hv a 18-200)

Well, I thinking of getting one myself too :embrass: , after reading many thread from here and dpreview. Many of them give 99% must have for this lens (cheap & good) :) .
Thought of it for two months already. I tried once from a camera shop and another at the IT show. Download the pix and looked at them. Still undecide :dunno:
Yes its cheap. But I think I should save up more to buy a Tokina 12-24 f4 instate.
What you think? (I hv a 18-200)

once again.. don't buy things coz it's cheap and good.. what's the point if u don't use it.. the 50mm is a far cry from ur 12-24.. used for different purposes... so u gotta ask urself what u wanna use it for.. do u want to do landscapes or different perspective shots? or do u prefer to do low light photography and want the extra bokeh?

once again.. don't buy things coz it's cheap and good.. what's the point if u don't use it.. the 50mm is a far cry from ur 12-24.. used for different purposes... so u gotta ask urself what u wanna use it for.. do u want to do landscapes or different perspective shots? or do u prefer to do low light photography and want the extra bokeh?

Thanks for ur C&C. :heart:
Yap its different usage altogether. Thk need a lens for landscapes. Something that can capture wider angle. And yes! its cost 5 times more than a 50mm. Save a few months more than can get one to use in June holiday.

is it useful for e.g. going to the museum or aquarium where flash is not allowed?

hi hi,

thanks....

landscape wise, the kit lens is ok. if u really like to focus on landscape in the future, u might want to get a wider lens. as for low light, a lens with aperture will be helpful. well, diff lens serve diff purpose. alot of things can happen in a yr, interests might change. so in the meanwhile, play with ur kit lens until u r bored. then it is time to change.

is it useful for e.g. going to the museum or aquarium where flash is not allowed?

the large aperture does helps in low light condition when no flash is allowed. but, u muz consider that there isnt much space for u to move ard in aquarium and 50mm might be too tight to frame the shot.

the large aperture does helps in low light condition when no flash is allowed. but, u muz consider that there isnt much space for u to move ard in aquarium and 50mm might be too tight to frame the shot.

you are right... just tried framing on 50mm on my zoom around the house... maybe have to take close up shots when indoor.... think 50mm framing is alright for food shots in dim restaurants

Forget about a 50mm in aquarium as you would have issues in getting a shot in frame... Just increase your ISO to 800 or 1600 and open to the widest... (One tip - which I always do; Use their screen as a means to control the shake on your cam - I always place the lens on it and shoot from there) I have been getting lots of aquarium shots using the 18-70mm lens (D70 lens kit) and had no issues... Just watch the lighting the aquarium may have... If you want to have a look at some of what I have (I won't say they are very good, but good enough for the effort) - Aquarium Shots

It is interesting to note that the kit lens for a F1.8 and a F1.4 has a price difference as much as 50% or more...can you really get more DOF out from a F1.4 than a F1.8 ?

Forget about a 50mm in aquarium as you would have issues in getting a shot in frame... Just increase your ISO to 800 or 1600 and open to the widest... (One tip - which I always do; Use their screen as a means to control the shake on your cam - I always place the lens on it and shoot from there) I have been getting lots of aquarium shots using the 18-70mm lens (D70 lens kit) and had no issues... Just watch the lighting the aquarium may have... If you want to have a look at some of what I have (I won't say they are very good, but good enough for the effort) - Aquarium Shots

wow... they look nice :thumbsup: what are the usual length you use for the shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.