50mm lens test

Which is your favourite 50mm lens for bokeh wide open ?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Is this flare? Quite bad, and hopefully not common ...

Could be the glass condition of my lens too... shot them without filter / hood...

This comparison has been on the net since I started shooting with RF in January 2007:

ImageRe: Digital Works - 50/1.4 SHOOTOUT

The Millennium Nikkor-S 50/1.4 is indeed a killer lens, and vastly outperforms its older sibling (the Nikkor-S 5cm f/1.4) if judging by the common yardsticks like sharpness, contrast etc. But as your great comparison shows, it all comes down to personal taste in the end :)

Thanks for the link Jon! Like you said, it all comes down to personal taste! :thumbsup:

Ed..the test going to be incomplete from now on after the sale of ur canon 50 f1.5..haha
I admire u for the willingness to let go the lenses...i think i need to learn to sell some away when i buy some as well... haha

Buying these lenses is easy..learning to let go is tough!:)

Ed..the test going to be incomplete from now on after the sale of ur canon 50 f1.5..haha
I admire u for the willingness to let go the lenses...i think i need to learn to sell some away when i buy some as well... haha

Buying these lenses is easy..learning to let go is tough!:)

Thanks bro... and a very nice copy no less! That said, can i jump Q for the canon 50/2.2 please? haha!

Can! But i doubt i will sell it..haha haven really test it much..:) looking forward to my next roll to c de results myself too..haha

Ok, just a quick sum-up of how I *feel* about the lenses, of course, some of these lenses have travelled the world and seen much more than I have, the observations noted here could deviate subject to lens / glass condition & also, sample variation!
great effort to put the whole shoot-out together. i swear that you swapped some of the shots just to screw us over... the nikkor, canon, zeiss and the summilux all look great with subtle margins among them... and these little differences make up the different characters of the respective lenses. this sort of a shootout / review brings out some of those differences for all to see.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The Millennium Nikkor-S 50/1.4 is indeed a killer lens, and vastly outperforms its older sibling (the Nikkor-S 5cm f/1.4) if judging by the common yardsticks like sharpness, contrast etc. But as your great comparison shows, it all comes down to personal taste in the end :)
just to share with the rest, in case they are not familiar, the millennium edition was redesigned from the sonnar design of its older sibling.

Expanding further on the earlier test, I rounded up some "slower" lenses :p ... from bottom clockwise;

Summicron 50mm f2 (IV) with built in hood; Chiyoko Super Rokkor 5cm f2 ltm; Tokyo Kogaku Topcor-S 5cm f2 ltm; Tanaka Kogaku Tanack 5cm f2 ltm; Summicron Rigid 5cm f2 (II) ... and a ZM Planar 50mm f2 (courtesy of Wonglp) not in picture

Last edited:
Part I

Safra Jurong, M9 set to aperture priority, WB cloudy, iso 160, tripod assisted, in-camera B&W mode

- Wide Open -

Chiyoko Super Rokkor 50mm f2 ltm

Tanack 50mm f2 ltm

Topcor-S 50mm f2 ltm

Last edited:
- Wide Open -

Summicron Rigid 50mm f2

Summicron 50mm f2

ZM Planar 50mm f2

Last edited:
- F2.8 -

Chiyoko Super Rokkor 50mm f2 ltm