Sorry wrong date - should be 041110

On TV news just now at 9.30pm one of the departing passengers said "Give me a Boeing anytime".
I agree.
I like the 747 and the 777.

The other plane? After viewing a TV documentary of how it is made, did not get a lot of confidence. Different countries want to make a part, so that each country's workers (the politician's political base) do not lose out. Not sure if this is the best way to do plane manufacturing design + engineering.

The difference is that when Boeing makes it, ONE company from ONE country calls the shots on design, engineering and manufacturing decisions, even if the parts come from various suppliers.
With the other plane, it may be a delicate political balancing act amongst a few countries in a continent.

So what you're saying is, because a RR on an airbus blew, you will not get on an airbus regardless of then engine, but you will gladly get on a boeing with a RR?

The other plane? After viewing a TV documentary of how it is made, did not get a lot of confidence. Different countries want to make a part, so that each country's workers (the politician's political base) do not lose out. Not sure if this is the best way to do plane manufacturing design + engineering.

The difference is that when Boeing makes it, ONE company from ONE country calls the shots on design, engineering and manufacturing decisions, even if the parts come from various suppliers. With the other plane, it may be a delicate political balancing act amongst a few countries in a continent.
... And that is precisely reflected in what exactly? The Boeing Dreamliner program being delayed for 3 years behind schedule?
So what you're saying is, because a RR on an airbus blew, you will not get on an airbus regardless of then engine, but you will gladly get on a boeing with a RR?
What he is saying is that he have issues with globalisation. ;)

Last edited:
Aircraft deals is not buying a home appliance. Choice of engines is up to customer. Sometimes customer purchases the engines himself and airframe maker just slaps them on. In most cases the airframe maker will only certify the their own airframe works with engines chosen, how the engine behaves is not much their problem.

The Letter of Intent (LoI) and sales agreement for the lease or purchase of the airframe and powerplant are both signed separately with their respective manufacturers. ;)

unless you guys are in the know i disagree. typical no business let alone airlines would sign multilple agreements with the airplane manufacturer and their sub-contractors - engine manufacturer, air con manufacturer etc.

Last edited:
unless you guys are in the know i disagree. typical no business let alone airlines would sign multilple agreements with the airplane manufacturer and their sub-contractors - engine manufacturer, air con manufacturer etc.

Actually yes they do, and it is VERY common. Also different contracts for maintenance, catering, cleaning, upholstery in the cabin, etc.

The airline business is not a "one contract for everything" business. It's a lot more complex than you realize.

Actually yes they do, and it is VERY common. Also different contracts for maintenance, catering, cleaning, upholstery in the cabin, etc.

The airline business is not a "one contract for everything" business. It's a lot more complex than you realize.

i am fully aware there's a difference btw "purchase of aircrafts" vs "repair & maintenance" contracts.