4/3 vs fullframe

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 35-100mm/f2 is an f2... it is NOWHERE equivalent to an f4 or a f2.8.

If you can't figure that one out, then try to imagine what a Canon 35-100mm/f2 would weigh.
No, 35-100 f/2 on 4/3 is effectively 70-200 f/4 on FF.

Because, 100 mm lens @ f/2 on 4/3 produces identical image in terms of perspective and depth of field as 200 mm lens @ f/4 on FF, as 400 mm lens @ f/8 in the 6x7 format, or as 50 mm lens @ f/1.0 in 2/3 video format.

You might argue that f/2 gives you four times more light than f/4. That's a misconception, because 4/3 has four times smaller sensor, and therefore each photodiode is four times smaller and therefore receives four times less light (assuming both 4/3 and FF cameras have same MP count). That means Signal/Noise ratio is four times worse. Which in layman's terms means that noise performance of 4/3 at say ISO 400 is equivalent to the noise performance of similar FF sensor at ISO 1600. This fact alone diminishes any f/2 exposure advantage. Whatever 4/3 user can shoot @ f/2 at say ISO 200, can be shot by FF user @ f/4 at the same shutter speed using ISO 800, with about the same amount of noise.

Aiyoh, you guys... don't get us real FULL FRAME users of medium cameras get started ok? tsk tsk tsk... and I smell gunpowder in the air... hopefully it is not from this thread... thanks.

Educational discussion is one thing... trying to twist facts is another. I think most of you are matured enough to discern. Many thanks for your attention. Cheers.

No, 35-100 f/2 on 4/3 is effectively 70-200 f/4 on FF.

Because, 100 mm lens @ f/2 on 4/3 produces identical image in terms of perspective and depth of field as 200 mm lens @ f/4 on FF, as 400 mm lens @ f/8 in the 6x7 format, or as 50 mm lens @ f/1.0 in 2/3 video format.

You might argue that f/2 gives you four times more light than f/4. That's a misconception, because 4/3 has four times smaller sensor, and therefore each photodiode is four times smaller and therefore receives four times less light (assuming both 4/3 and FF cameras have same MP count). That means Signal/Noise ratio is four times worse. Which in layman's terms means that noise performance of 4/3 at say ISO 400 is equivalent to the noise performance of similar FF sensor at ISO 1600. This fact alone diminishes any f/2 exposure advantage. Whatever 4/3 user can shoot @ f/2 at say ISO 200, can be shot by FF user @ f/4 at the same shutter speed using ISO 800, with about the same amount of noise.

I don't get what you are trying to say because you are obviously coming back in here again after a long while to "state your physics". So well, point noted on your observations, but I think it serves no good for anyone to come in and state Full Frame versus 4/3 format... when, at the end of the day, we let the picture do all the talking. Everyone has their preference. You like your teh tarik sweet while I like mine with less milk... so let's end it here before I have to change from a fellow forumer and wear the moderator's hat.

Time to close this thread because it really serves no purpose. It is a subjective matter. And personally,... I shall keep my personal comments to myself. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.