3rd Party Lens for Canon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your recommendation bro. Will consider this lens is i have the cash. By the way, is 3rd party lens cheaper than canon lens? And when using 3rd party lens, is the picture quality better than canon lens?:)

Depends on

1) what lens
2) what focal length

Let's weight out your options here.

Option 1:
Stick to kit lens
Get 50mm f/1.8 II for portraiture - $130

Total damage: $130

Option 2:
Get Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 - $690
Get 67mm Hoya UVguard - $25

Total damage: $715

Reason why I didn't recommend a filter for the 50mm is because even with Hoya HMC filters, the lens is still prone to ghosting in some situations (I have encountered this firsthand on many occasions, which is why I currently don't have a filter on that lens). Furthermore, the front element is so recessed that chances of poking it are really low (not forgetting I have a lens hood on the 50mm).

Money is an issue? You have your numbers laid out here already. Make your choice.

Thank for ur options.:thumbsup: I think i will go for option 1. For the time being, what i really need to do is to find out what kind of picture i wan to take and then build up my skill on it, then lastly i will get the require lens.

If prime lens such as 135mm @ f2.8 and zoom lens 28-135mm f3.5-5.6:D

There is no 135mm f/2.8, in either Canon or any third party ranges. Have a look at the various third party lens ranges to get an idea on what lenses they offer. Third party manufacturers don't match every lens.

There is no 135mm f/2.8, in either Canon or any third party ranges. Have a look at the various third party lens ranges to get an idea on what lenses they offer. Third party manufacturers don't match every lens.

OIC:embrass:

isnt there the 135mm f/2.8 SF? :think:

isnt there the 135mm f/2.8 SF? :think:

Yes there is.. Designed for portrait shots of "feminine" subjects. Not sure if you can get it in singapore though.... Much cheaper than that 135 f2L too...

Thanks for your recommendation bro. Will consider this lens is i have the cash. By the way, is 3rd party lens cheaper than canon lens? And when using 3rd party lens, is the picture quality better than canon lens?:)

Generally, if you talk about 3rd party lenses, they are cheaper compared to their equivalent counterpart from Canon, but usually Canon L lenses tend to have a higher picture quality compared to 3rd party lenses of the same range.

Anyway it all depends on you on what you want and what you need. A lens to me may be sharp and good enough but to some professional out there, it not there yet. Go and try out different lenses and see what suits u better.

Should be no problem. You may want to check out the photobiz more indepth. Hate to burst your bubble but you need a market who will buy these, and I'm not completely sure there is quite a market for scenery photos that are that huge.

10 megapixel is good enough? no need to get more than 10mp right?

Can anyone tell me what is the main purpose of using a 50mm F1.8 lens? :) Thanks.

Comparable if you consider what you can save .................. :)

Can anyone tell me what is the main purpose of using a 50mm F1.8 lens? :) Thanks.

Erm. Photography?

It can be used for anything. It's usage is limited by your creativity (and of course, its focal length, magnification etc.). Go out and shoot, and let your creativity take over.

Just got the sigma 17-70 2.8 for my 400D. Read from many reviews that this is a good lens.

Erm. Photography?

It can be used for anything. It's usage is limited by your creativity (and of course, its focal length, magnification etc.). Go out and shoot, and let your creativity take over.

Hi, i got one more question. Sometime, when i wan to take some photos on some building, but have to face the sun light and the photo turn out to be very dark. So is there anything i can do to prevent this? or is there anyway i can do to my white balance or setting on my 400D?
:)

Hi, i got one more question. Sometime, when i wan to take some photos on some building, but have to face the sun light and the photo turn out to be very dark. So is there anything i can do to prevent this? or is there anyway i can do to my white balance or setting on my 400D?

There are two possible solutions - adjust the exposure compensation (e.g. + 2/3, +1 f-stop as required) or zoom in, do spot focus on the building, use AE lock and zoom out to frame the picture.

Nothing to do with the white balance. This is EXPOSURE.

Use either

AE lock on P, Av and Tv modes, with partial metering, metering on the subject to check correct exposure and lock it in,

or,

use M mode, meter again with partial metering on the area which you want correct exposure and adjust your settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.