3 axis GoPro stabilizer with remote control cable

Bamboopictures

Z1-Rider is a USD306 versatile Gopro stabiliser that can be mounted on monopods, helmets, body harness and more.
Uses standard Gopro mounting options.
Long remote cable for tilt control makes this a great jibbing tool on a monopod.
Bye bye pulleys, counterweights and parallelograms.
http://www.standard-tec.com/product_info.php?products_id=146&language=en
Z1-Rider_00.jpg

[video=youtube;-IDweYLCqI4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IDweYLCqI4[/video]

Last edited:
Am actually considering between this, its newer sibling Z1 Pround (with handle but no gopro mounting) and the Feiyi G4.

Seems the Z1 is more user friendly with its tilt control buttons.

Any views on this brand as compared to feiyu?

This makes me decide to sell my AS100V and get gopro hero 4. :(

Am actually considering between this, its newer sibling Z1 Pround (with handle but no gopro mounting) and the Feiyi G4.

Seems the Z1 is more user friendly with its tilt control buttons.

Any views on this brand as compared to feiyu?

I just received the Z1 Proud from Infinity Hobby and it definitely outperforms the Feiyu and the FunnyGo. The Z1 Proud's torque rating on their brushless motor is much stronger than the the Feiyu and FunnyGo, making it ROCK STEADY. And you can see and feel the difference. Sudden panning, running and jibbing are perfectly absorbed by the motors without any judders or tilts.

Battery life is an amazing 10 hours - much better than the smaller batteries used by the Feiyu and GoPro.

On top of that, the Pround can even power or charge a GoPro when in use.

The Z1 Pround can also be used underslung - a feat that escapes the rival brands.

The Proud/Pround also comes with two set of pins. One for using with naked GoPros and one longer set for GoPros with LCD backs. No recalibration is needed when adding/removing the LCD back.

Now for the cons:
User Manual is simply inadequate. Important information on calibration and initialisation are totally missing. There are instructions from Standard Tech's website to initialise the unit before use and also links for downloading the firmware and calibration tool. Unfortunately, the software is for Windows only and is written in Chinese.

My unit came with slight horizontal tilt out of the box. I emailed Infinity about the issue and they promptly sent me a an english PDF instuctions for a simple 30 seconds initialisation process. It worked perfectly after that. No further software calibration needed.

The next complain I have about the Pround is the distance between the motors. There is not enough space between the motors for a Gopro to be stored flat when the Pround is powered down. To store/transport the Pround without removing the gopro will require a box at least 13 x 13 x 30cm.

Last edited:
I just received the Z1 Proud from Infinity Hobby and it definitely outperforms the Feiyu and the FunnyGo. The Z1 Proud's torque rating on their brushless motor is much stronger than the the Feiyu and FunnyGo, making it ROCK STEADY. And you can see and feel the difference. Sudden panning, running and jibbing are perfectly absorbed by the motors without any judders or tilts.

Battery life is an amazing 10 hours - much better than the smaller batteries used by the Feiyu and GoPro.

On top of that, the Pround can even power or charge a GoPro when in use.

The Z1 Pround can also be used underslung - a feat that escapes the rival brands.

The Proud/Pround also comes with two set of pins. One for using with naked GoPros and one longer set for GoPros with LCD backs. No recalibration is needed when adding/removing the LCD back.

Now for the cons:
User Manual is simply inadequate. Important information on calibration and initialisation are totally missing. There are instructions from Standard Tech's website to initialise the unit before use and also links for downloading the firmware and calibration tool. Unfortunately, the software is for Windows only and is written in Chinese.

My unit came with slight horizontal tilt out of the box. I emailed Infinity about the issue and they promptly sent me a an english PDF instuctions for a simple 30 seconds initialisation process. It worked perfectly after that. No further software calibration needed.

The next complain I have about the Pround is the distance between the motors. There is not enough space between the motors for a Gopro to be stored flat when the Pround is powered down. To store/transport the Pround without removing the gopro will require a box at least 13 x 13 x 30cm.

Hi Bamboopictures,

Thanks for the update!

I just got my Z1 Pround last Saturday! Very happy with it but like u, have some "complaints" too.

My set came with a slight downward tilt out of the box, but its nothing the up button cant easily solve. Also, it tends to drift to the left a little when i hold it still for a while. Dont usually hold it still for too long (its an action cam after all!), so no issues with that either.

The main grouse i have is that it ships with the higher cap battery, which requires the extension cover, which then makes it really long... Wld hv bot the standard batts if i knew it before hand.

Other than that, its amazing. U can literally feel the torque at start up. And the up/down tilting function is super smooth!

Anyways would like to correct the slight tilt at start up. Would you mind sending me the PDF that you got? PMed u my email addy.

Thanks and have fun with your new toy!

Cheers

Hi Bamboopictures,

Thanks for the update!

I just got my Z1 Pround last Saturday! Very happy with it but like u, have some "complaints" too.

My set came with a slight downward tilt out of the box, but its nothing the up button cant easily solve. Also, it tends to drift to the left a little when i hold it still for a while. Dont usually hold it still for too long (its an action cam after all!), so no issues with that either.

The main grouse i have is that it ships with the higher cap battery, which requires the extension cover, which then makes it really long... Wld hv bot the standard batts if i knew it before hand.

Other than that, its amazing. U can literally feel the torque at start up. And the up/down tilting function is super smooth!

Anyways would like to correct the slight tilt at start up. Would you mind sending me the PDF that you got? PMed u my email addy.

Thanks and have fun with your new toy!

Cheers

Hi Bamboopictures,

Ur mailbox is full. If u dont mind, can PM me ur email addy?

Cheers.

Thanks for the alert!
Here are the links you will need.
Initiation:
http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/download/GY-3DH-en01.pdf

http://www.zhiyun-tech.com/Calibration Instruction-en.html

The latest calibration tool can be downloaded from here :
http://www.zhiyun-tech.com/datedown/tool/Zhiyun Gimbal Tools v1.0.5.zip

The USB driver (in case you need it) can be downloaded from here :
http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbtouartbridgevcpdrivers.aspx

The instruction and calibration tool are applicable for all products listed including Z1 Proud (you shall refer to Z1-PROUND which is actually with typo by the factory but they don’t want to correct the name).

Hope the above helps.

Thanks for the alert!
Here are the links you will need.
Initiation:
http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/download/GY-3DH-en01.pdf

http://www.zhiyun-tech.com/Calibration%20Instruction-en.html

The latest calibration tool can be downloaded from here :
http://www.zhiyun-tech.com/datedown/tool/Zhiyun%20Gimbal%20Tools%20v1.0.5.zip

The USB driver (in case you need it) can be downloaded from here :
http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbtouartbridgevcpdrivers.aspx

The instruction and calibration tool are applicable for all products listed including Z1 Proud (you shall refer to Z1-PROUND which is actually with typo by the factory but they don’t want to correct the name).

Hope the above helps.

Thanks for the info, Bamboopictures! Appreciate it!

Btw, any tips on how to capture a really smooth walking footage?

I tried to do the ninja walk style but still getting abit of the up/down bobbing motion. Need more practice? Or is there a correct way of holding such gimbals? I hold it at a forward tilt of abt 30-45 deg.

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers

I find that walking gait makes the most difference in cushioning up-down and left-right translations. You can further dampen the bounce by shuffling the feet so that they are always in contact with the floor. Pointing the toes outwards charlie chaplin style can eliminate side to side shifts between steps.
Keeping the shoulders relaxed dissipates shocks when flying fast. "Flying" a mug filled to the brim with water will quickly improve full body co-ordination and better awareness of momentum. Then try freehanding a canera with no IBIS to assess your own technique.

"Flying" a mug filled to the brim with water will quickly improve full body co-ordination and better awareness of momentum.

This actually sounds like a fun challenge to do as training :thumbsup:

For the next level, make it a beverage like hot coffee/tea :bsmilie:

This actually sounds like a fun challenge to do as training :thumbsup:

For the next level, make it a beverage like hot coffee/tea :bsmilie:

My MIL will so kill me when she sees all the coffee stains on the floor! Wahaha

Anyways, thanks for the tip, Bamboopicture.

Cheers

My MIL will so kill me when she sees all the coffee stains on the floor! Wahaha

Lol! Come to think of it, the kopitiam uncles/aunties who serve hot kopi will have very solid stabilizing technique, gotta observe them when we have the chance... haha

Lol! Come to think of it, the kopitiam uncles/aunties who serve hot kopi will have very solid stabilizing technique, gotta observe them when we have the chance... haha

Ok. Later i go pass them the gimbal n camera n ask them to shoot for a few minutes.

See how they fare. If good, i will go be a weekend kopi uncle ti master the skill! Wahaha. Things we do for our passion.....

Does it work fine if i want to use it for filming while running? And does it work with 3+ with lcd back? Thanks.

It will maintain a level horizon and a constant tilt as promised. Panning is buffered but will follow the user's movements. It will not correct up-and-down motion of a normal run. (don't attach to your chest) But it still produces the best running handheld shot out of any stabiliser I've seen at a recent running clinic. It works perfectly with a GoPro 3+ with LCDback attached. LCD remains unblocked and can be clearly scene.

Last edited:
It will maintain a level horizon and a constant tilt as promised. Panning is buffered but will follow the user's movements. It will not correct up-and-down motion of a normal run. (don't attach to your chest) But it still produces the best running handheld shot out of any stabiliser I've seen at a recent running clinic. It works perfectly with a GoPro 3+ with LCDback attached. LCD remains unblocked and can be clearly scene.

Thank for the reply. Any comparison done with the Feiyu G4 against this?