27th UOB Painting Of The Year Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
if i remember correctly, one CSer have previously won in the photographic category with a picture of foreign construction workers posing nicely with their grass cutters. any old timers can provide his nick?my memory is fading;p

if i remember correctly, one CSer have previously won in the photographic category with a picture of foreign construction workers posing nicely with their grass cutters. any old timers can provide his nick?my memory is fading;p

This must be the 2006 winner. I remember the pix of construction workers posing, although cannot remember the grass cutters.

The person is Quek Jing Cheng and title of photo is Singapore Idols #2. Dunno his CS nick, maybe do a search for Singapore Idols #2?

This must be the 2006 winner. I remember the pix of construction workers posing, although cannot remember the grass cutters.

The person is Quek Jing Cheng and title of photo is Singapore Idols #2. Dunno his CS nick, maybe do a search for Singapore Idols #2?

yep its mattlock's pic :thumbsup: the only photographic winner i can remember, the rest see already next day forget liao...too artistic:sweat:

Where can we find pictures of past winning entries in photography category?
Any idea what kind of photos they want? Those that look artsy? But the construction workers pic dun really look artsy leh.

Yah, my thought too, it doesn't look very much like those paintings or abstract type of artists' painting. But a good photograph with good mood. And is Mr. Quek Jing Cheng known in the art scene? I am sorry, I am not into Arts....so if I am ignorant, please forgive me....:eek:

Any idea what kind of photos they want? Those that look artsy? But the construction workers pic dun really look artsy leh.

As to how they select, its more of a fine art basis in which you should have a very strong concept or rationale behind it.

As to Jing's works, if you see the rest of his portfolio, you can see that there is an ongoing rationale behind it. There is thinking put into that shot and we are not talking about f-stops or shutter speeds.

Note that UOB Painting of the Year caters more to artpieces, not technically perfect shots. In which, you would need to submit a write up (as in all fine art competitions) talking about your concept and rationale. Think more than lightning, f-stops, shutter speeds, L lenses and mega pixels and you might get somewhere.

Where can we find the past winning entries for reference?
And where can we see Jing's portfolio (since you mentioned)?

If you look at some of the past winners, they are not the typical sort of photos that win photography contests. In fact, many of my photography friends could not accept last year's winning entry because they felt it was not a good photograph, let alone a great photograph.

It was a photo of an old wall with old wall paper, peeling off at the sides, that shows a forest.

Where can I find this photo?
Really curious to see it... sounds interesting. :)

Kinda late but can edit pictures not? Digital Manipulation.

HOWHOWHOW.Stress liao.

tsktsktsk

Still got few hours to go..... good luck.

As I mentioned in my post much much earlier in this thread, not mentioned, ie never say cannot, means CAN!

This is art competition. Not photo competition. So don't be too hung up about photography rules and regulations.

Dear all,
in what format do they accept the entry?

Digital format? Must print out?

Dear all,

Alamak! Want to pang sai, sh it coming out then you ask where is toilet!

Must print out and must frame or at least mount on a board. Minimum size 8R but if you submit such a tiny pix, it might show that you not serious. Last year's winning picture was WALL SIZE!

Sorry to interrupt this thread. But I am writing to defend this particular piece of photo winning art piece. It was done by my former lecturer which is now my colleague.

As far as art is concern, it is not everyone's cup of tea. Just like Piccaso's idea of cubism, it is not accept by ALL walks of life. Dadaism is another artform which SOME pple like but mainly rejected by conservatives. As of now, there is not a single piece of work that could capture the likings of all other artists... Well after all, art is not just an issue of satisfing all of our appetite but mailnly done to relate our feelings in relations to the contemporary issues.

I believed all of you have done photographs that to you (to a certain degree, other ppl) it works fine enough, but to other group of photographer, your photo CMI. In recent years, photography has become an artform and to other veteran artists, photography is nothing but composition then snap and shoot. But to me, photography is not just about Lights, it is about Visuals intereptations and then the Memories it created for us / for the viewers...

"There cannot be two identical photographs, not even it is from the some photographer." - This continues to be one of my main work-willed behind my photography works. Just imagine we can take 2 photographs of the same scene, but the moment it clicks, that particular moment is being captured, no matter how many times you pressed the shutter, it will not be as precious as the first click. Every photographs deserved its own value. Just like very piece of artwork, we cannot just see and go, spend a few more moments thinking about it.

The winning entry last year, was done to relate the sense of abandoned old buildings in Singapore. Drive around Singapore and you will see some abandoned houses, diminishing into the forest, forgotten by the masses.

Anyway, to some ppl, this is just another bullshit piece of comment. But nevertheless, I hope I did not offend any ppl. Apologies if i did.

Now, time to go submit my works. :)

Dear all,

Min. size 8R plus mounting. Digital files must be burnt into CD plus write up. negetives of slides of the works you submitted must hand the negetives/slides to them.:D

Sorry to interrupt this thread. But I am writing to defend this particular piece of photo winning art piece. It was done by my former lecturer which is now my colleague.

Your colleague meaning now you also become lecturer?

Yes good of you to defend that work. I think it was deserving winner too but many of my photographer friends could not accept it.

________

And thanks to hanqiang for reminding about digital files burn to CD. I know but almost forgot about this! Phew!

Status
Not open for further replies.