24-70mm (sigma vs. tamron vs. tokina vs. nikon)

Ok lah, bian kong liao. All follow kkvolution go buy D3s, 14-24mm, 24-70mm & 70-200mm VR2 :D

Ya... then feel zoom lenses no good enough, then upgrade to prime lenses... 24/1.4 35/1.4 50/1.4 85/1.4 105/2DC 135/2DC....

buahahahahah.

Congrats. Although the Tokina Pro I and IIs are good, I still feel the tamron is slightly sharper and the tamron is not that much more expensive new. So in the end, I gave up on the search for the tokinas and bought the tamron instead.

Haha, was just fortunate I guess. They don't pop up really often nowadays. Yeah, the Tokinas tend to be soft wide-open. The Tamron is quite a value-for-money lens too!

Scintillation said:
Haha, was just fortunate I guess. They don't pop up really often nowadays. Yeah, the Tokinas tend to be soft wide-open. The Tamron is quite a value-for-money lens too!

Not that soft la. Still reasonably sharp. ;) of course not as sharp as the $2.5k Nikon 24-70

What about the 17_55mm is it more useful than the 24_70mm?

What about the 17_55mm is it more useful than the 24_70mm?

I was in this junction before... tried 17-55mm, not too bad... but kinda of overpriced for a dx lens and cannot be used for fx.
in the end bought the infamous 24-70 f2.8, image was crystal ... if within your budget, this choice cannot go wrong.

both lens are pretty heavy ... not too much of a daily walkaround lens.

bethpapa74 said:
I was in this junction before... tried 17-55mm, not too bad... but kinda of overpriced for a dx lens and cannot be used for fx.
in the end bought the infamous 24-70 f2.8, image was crystal ... if within your budget, this choice cannot go wrong.

both lens are pretty heavy ... not too much of a daily walkaround lens.

It is not overpriced if you shoot for a living and your reputation depends on the pics.

Not all pros shoot with FX in all situation for all events.

And the 24-70 is alot heavier than the 17-55.

one common quote i often came across ... ''to upgrade/move to ff''...
hence to certain extend lens selection to your cam body is important, isn't it?

I seldom/never heard .. ''i will do dx after i am done with ff'' :( :(

Never try never know, once try, never look back.

bethpapa74 said:
one common quote i often came across ... ''to upgrade/move to ff''...
hence to certain extend lens selection to your cam body is important, isn't it?

I seldom/never heard .. ''i will do dx after i am done with ff'' :( :(

You must be hanging around hobbyists.

Talk to some professionals for a change. You think all professionals will only shoot fx exclusively?

Even one very highly regarded wedding photographer uses a FF body matched with a APSC body. You seriously think he cannot afford another FF body? Esp when he charges over 5k a wedding...

What about pros who shoots birds and/or bugs for a living. You think FX is the only body they use?

Open your mind. Cameras are just tools. Use what is the best fit for the situation. Many times it is a FF body, but at times a APS-C body makes more sense.

Last edited:
birding and macro included. I will still keep a DX body even if I move onto FX. Using only FX lens though...

going back to the original topic, I am wondering why tamron is cheaper than sigma. I always thought that tamron was the middle ground between nikon and sigma

getting a nikon 24-70 right away saves you the hassle of upgrading later :)

i read that there was some problem with the lens barrel of these behemoth. how do i check that the lens i'am buying does not have this problem?

Just be sure to set aside 1000 bucks for repair after your first year warranty.

new batches of nikkor 24-70mm still have barrier problems?

new batches of nikkor 24-70mm still have barrier problems?

My version which I bought 1.5 yrs ago works fine for the barrel. I heard there are some bad copies but not all.

Ok lah, bian kong liao. All follow kkvolution go buy D3s, 14-24mm, 24-70mm & 70-200mm VR2 :D

I don't really like 14-24 hehe but I sure like D3s but holding money for the next new model. Unfortunately have to wait due to JP issue, pray for JP to overcome their difficulties first. New Camera body can wait. :)