24-105 F4 L

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff49er

Apr 11, 2003
Punggol Park
I have notice there are lots of sellers of this lens. Whats more the selling price is some $350 to $400 off the brand new price.

Is this lens that bad or what ? OR after buying only to realise f2.8 is a better option ?

- Maybe some 2.8 users test-drove f4 and opted for the older brother.

- B&S comes in waves, as in one-sell-all-sell. The many holding on to their 24-105L and half-thinking to let go were triggered by the first few sales. Happens a lot in CS.

- There are 3rd party alternatives that can get the job done at a much lower price. $2k is a lot of opportunity cost in terms of other lenses and stuff.

- AFAIK, the 24-105L is a fine lens.

I also noticed that. Maybe it was a big hype when it first appeared and people rushed to get it. Then after many months, they realized they wanted something more specific to their needs rather than a general lens?

Other issues perhaps:

- 1.6x crop users realized the 24mm end is a restriction
- FF users don't like the vignetting and distortion but can be easily corrected

I also noticed that. Maybe it was a big hype when it first appeared and people rushed to get it. Then after many months, they realized they wanted something more specific to their needs rather than a general lens?

Other issues perhaps:

- 1.6x crop users realized the 24mm end is a restriction
- FF users don't like the vignetting and distortion but can be easily corrected

Actually for FF there is no issue at all. I don't see any vignetting or distortion. I absolutely love this lens on a FF. :thumbsup: Having IS and weather seal and a relatively large zoom range is cool. It is on my 5D 80% of the time.

The disturbing trend is that some sellers are willing to let go after a few months :bigeyes:

Spoil market :cry:

I just got this a few days ago, love the IS.
My GF also loves the IS after i passed to her to take.
Now she starts liking taking photo, but only with this lens.

Sometimes, I just wonder why people are so concerned about people selling camera equipment.

Just do a search, and you will find so many threads created asking such questions for the past few years.

I guarantee you that this kind of threads will continue to surface.

By the way, why isn't there a thread on why so many people dumping their EOS 1Ds mk II? The answer is obvious, isn't it?

It is all about demand and supply. How many of us own the 1Ds mk II that will create a huge supplies in the 2nd hand market even if there is a replacement model in the future. It's an expensive camera body ~ $12,000 new.

On the contrary, cameras like EOS 20D or 30D or even the EF 24-105mm f4L are dumping like nobody business. Why is that so? Simply because there is a huge supplies in the 2nd hand market as they are quite affordable. People can simply sell them away due to whatever reasons.

Moreover, buying and selling of gear is part and parcel of a hobby, not just restricted to photography.

At the end of the day, what is your focus? Photography?

haha, just like yourself bro. Forever buying and selling stuffs so often in this forum. I sometimes really wonder what you do with them, buying and selling the same things again and again.

Sometimes, I just wonder why people are so concerned about people selling camera equipment.

Just do a search, and you will find so many threads created asking such questions for the past few years.

I guarantee you that this kind of threads will continue to surface.

By the way, why isn't there a thread on why so many people dumping their EOS 1Ds mk II? The answer is obvious, isn't it?

It is all about demand and supply. How many of us own the 1Ds mk II that will create a huge supplies in the 2nd hand market even if there is a replacement model in the future. It's an expensive camera body ~ $12,000 new.

On the contrary, cameras like EOS 20D or 30D or even the EF 24-105mm f4L are dumping like nobody business. Why is that so? Simply because there is a huge supplies in the 2nd hand market as they are quite affordable. People can simply sell them away due to whatever reasons.

Moreover, buying and selling of gear is part and parcel of a hobby, not just restricted to photography.

At the end of the day, what is your focus? Photography?

Actually for FF there is no issue at all. I don't see any vignetting or distortion. I absolutely love this lens on a FF. :thumbsup: Having IS and weather seal and a relatively large zoom range is cool. It is on my 5D 80% of the time.

Oh really ah.. Pardon me. I'm not a user of 24-105 myself. Cos Ruey Loon, one of CS photogs, once told me on FF DSLR, like the 5D, the 24-105's vignetting is bad and there is some distortion. But he said it's obvious if you shoot against a bright sky.

Oh really ah.. Pardon me. I'm not a user of 24-105 myself. Cos Ruey Loon, one of CS photogs, once told me on FF DSLR, like the 5D, the 24-105's vignetting is bad and there is some distortion. But he said it's obvious if you shoot against a bright sky.

You have to try rather then hear and say....

haha, just like yourself bro. Forever buying and selling stuffs so often in this forum. I sometimes really wonder what you do with them, buying and selling the same things again and again.

Wait a min, I think that you have missed the point.

Did I ever post a thread asking people why people are dumping their xxx model, etc? It's none of my concern.

I sell my gear for whatever reasons but did I ever complain?

Did I said you complained? :confused:

Wait a min, I think that you have missed the point.

Did I ever post a thread asking people why people are dumping their xxx model, etc? It's none of my concern.

I sell my gear for whatever reasons but did I ever complain?

Did I said you complained? :confused:

Bro, again you missed the point. Did I say that you said that I complained?

Many a time, a lot of misunderstanding or miscommunication occurs in the internet space through typing because we misinterpreted each other intention / meaning.

Your question is asking me why I am selling my gear. I replied that this is part and parcel of a hobby, nothing to be alarmed. And did I ever post a thread asking why so many people selling this and that model, etc?

Therefore, your question is irrelevant in this context.

Anyway, let not OT anymore in this thread. Let those who want to continue to comment on why people selling the 24-105mm.

You have to try rather then hear and say....

Me just got some time to spare so offering suggestions in this post... No offence to users of 24-105. Hee... I believe it's a good lens. But this lens has certainly generated some "controversy" in opinions. Some say good, some say it falls short of 24-70 or 17-55IS. I've also heard a fair bit about the vignetting thingy on FF and how it is not so sharp at the tele end. Maybe that's why they sell? Problem is, not sharp compared to which lens? Standards differ also. But opinions are really subjective and it depends on what u shoot also. As long the lens works for the individual, I think it doesn't matter. This is one lens I'd consider if I use a FF cam.

this is a good lens for a ff. but if you using a 1.6x get a 17-55 IS USM. they are good enough for walk around lens. thats my 2cents

24-104 has its pros n cons.. end of the day it depends on what u want to achieve and get e suitable lens to acheive the photos u want.. :)

Me just got some time to spare so offering suggestions in this post... No offence to users of 24-105. Hee... I believe it's a good lens. But this lens has certainly generated some "controversy" in opinions. Some say good, some say it falls short of 24-70 or 17-55IS. I've also heard a fair bit about the vignetting thingy on FF and how it is not so sharp at the tele end. Maybe that's why they sell? Problem is, not sharp compared to which lens? Standards differ also. But opinions are really subjective and it depends on what u shoot also. As long the lens works for the individual, I think it doesn't matter. This is one lens I'd consider if I use a FF cam.

I am not offended. Use to advice people to avoid this cam....until I tried it. Was not impress when I was using my 10D....but blow my mind away when I use it with the 5D!

A snapshot of my Kitten (5mth Old) - Focusing of the lens is fast and IS works really well. This kitty is very active.
100_2235.jpg

I have a 24-105L on a x1.6 body and i am ABSOLUTELY happy with it. Pictures are sharp and the IS works fabulously :bigeyes: I decided on it becos I was looking for an all-purpose travel lens. Maybe in future when I can pair it with a FF, it would be a really nice combo.

Ha... Very cute kitty Lightning!

How different is the lens when used with the 10D compared with the 5D? Were you restricted by the 24mm on your 10D which was why you were "blown away" when used with the 5D?

I should think this lens will be great on FF. Unfortunately, I don't own one. On a 1.6x crop body, it won't be wide enough for me. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.