$20k for photoshoot? Rip off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
why not intro your boss to CS... I'm sure it will also be a fraction of cost to J studio.:devil:

So it is possible for $20k for 11 photos assuming the photo studio has got a good portfolio and reputation? :embrass:

@$1500 per image... u do the math.. its considered quite cheap.. esp if you are keeping the IP rights to the image.

Here's a simple reason... go find out how much two or three medium format body costs (avg 11k each), the digital backs (17-25k each)... add to it, the 4-5 lenses you will need (4-7k each), the 6-8 studio flashes you will need (1-2k each), the studio space (4-5 pcm), the props (maybe 7-10k), the cost of salary of the staff (7-10k), the computer backend you need to process the images (18-30k depending on setup and integrity), the legal fees for transferring IP rights over to you etc..

The entire cost of the setup above is already around $220-350k with monthly operating expenses of about $5-10k or more.

Of course, if the guy comes in with a point and shoot, then that's another matter.

Just back from meeting with our brand consultant. Was told the $20k is for shooting only. Rights are only for in-house use. :sweat: We still need to pay for everything else, talent fee, media fee, loading etc.

End of the day my boss fired the consultant. :bsmilie: My boss did his own research and told them some J studio? charge only a fraction with full rights :rolleyes: I kena F* also :( my friend recommended the branding consultant... :sticktong

Pay peanuts, get monkey...

These guys are right.. drop by CS and get even cheaper.. LOL

Well, some ppl have to learn the hard way.. both buyers and sellers..

did u know a certain CD label pays USD5000 per image for their covers, and it's not full unlimited rights, it's for a year only... and they have bought at least 50 of such images for their CD covers...

and each CD only costs $20++ to us.

just something to ponder on...

hmm... We are not a big company that is for sure. $20k for 1 day shoot and then a few days to touchup and process - Frankly, I think it is a rip off.

Let's assume $10,000 for equipment rental and studio rental for 10 hours of shoot and the other $10,000 for 10 hours of shoot and 40 hrs of photo processing work. That works out to be $1000/hr for studio and equipment rental and $200/hr for digital processing! We are not talking about Hollywood production here.

No offense to those who charge this price but $20k = my company's entire staffs' (9 staff) salary for 1 month loh.

Now if it an american production it will be half a million in USD of course. If only the math is so simple. There other fix studio overhead like space rental, managing copyright usage, staffing in the studio, pre production cost, post production cost, equipment maintenance, office costing like stationaries and yes taxes to cover on the photographer end beside the photography session and digital imaging like you sugguested. In fact unrealised low charges by new bird is killing and harming the industry.

Just how does you justify that a shoot a rip off, if you have all the quotes for different sources and you or your company know that you need this level of professional photography service? Surely you do not think any one can be a professinal photographer just before he have D200 or D2X or 1D mkIII or H3D you get my point. ;)

Oh you think 20K for a photography session is a rip off. Andy and David each charges 7K per session make up and hair. A digital back we use each cost the price of a car, we need 4 such 20k job to cover. F.Y.I.

Loading and rights are new to me.

Say if I get my own talents, and I did the shoot myself. Then can I say I have the rights to the images or I need to pay the talents according to the usage of the photos?

So if I engage a professional to do the shoot and get my own talent, then the cost will vary accordingly? Like if for inhouse purpose will be cheap, for local magazine advert will be even more? Or they cost the same regardless of what media it will appear?

:dunno:

Model Agency protect their right better then photographers, yes you need a model release list what you can do with their image

Just back from meeting with our brand consultant. Was told the $20k is for shooting only. Rights are only for in-house use. :sweat: We still need to pay for everything else, talent fee, media fee, loading etc.

End of the day my boss fired the consultant. My boss did his own research and told them some J studio? charge only a fraction with full rights I kena F* also my friend recommended the branding consultant...

At the end of the day, it is still a Willing-Buyer, Willing-Seller market. Why lose sleep over it?

Most people do not truly understand the idiosyncratic market in Singapore. And anyone can charge what they like, there will be a piece of the pie for them. Which part of the pie they get is something else.

All the hue and cry by CSers isn't going to change a thing. You want to change the way the different fragments of the market responds to photography pricing, start with the largest mainstream buyer - the Singapore government, every single part of it.

End of the day my boss fired the consultant. :bsmilie: My boss did his own research and told them some J studio? charge only a fraction with full rights :rolleyes: I kena F* also :( my friend recommended the branding consultant... :sticktong

Looking at the market, your A&P will be already much more than your photography element. Personally I believe that 20k is not a ripple in the pond, if you are talking in the larger context of a branding exercise, assuming your company/company's product has a footprint that is fairly sizeable.

Your call though.

by the way, 40 hr of DI (don't know if that's what you mean by photo processing or only part of it with RAW conversion a part as well) at a reasonable rate of $50/hr for quality results works up to $2000... ;p

Commercial DI rates, not photo processing, are easily over $300/hr, so 40hrs could be $12k!..lol:)

Now that the company's name is mentioned....now it falls under category 'C'

In my opinion, the absence of any agreement to the contrary, and assuming you took the photographs, all copyrights in the photographs belong to you. You can use in any way you deem fit (except defamatory or other possible criminal uses), commerically, on your portfolio or otherwise.

It is my view that you do NOT need a model release in Singapore. If you try to sell it to US based sites, they may ask you for it (so as to comply with THEIR specific US laws, which are NOT applicable in Singapore).

Loading and rights are new to me.

Say if I get my own talents, and I did the shoot myself. Then can I say I have the rights to the images or I need to pay the talents according to the usage of the photos?

So if I engage a professional to do the shoot and get my own talent, then the cost will vary accordingly? Like if for inhouse purpose will be cheap, for local magazine advert will be even more? Or they cost the same regardless of what media it will appear?

:dunno:

Pay a pro for a pro job, with good results in return. The price to pay is reasonable.

so if your company think 20k is rip off, then maybe you're not their target market........

Status
Not open for further replies.