20-35 mm f2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
PhotoTime said:
Just wondering, what are the difference in quality between Tokina 20-35 mm F2.8 compared with this Nikon lens?

at one time, this Tokina AF 20-35 f2.8 is a very much sought after lens mainly due to its price and not-so-bad quality. the Nikkor costs like 3times its price back then!

Yeah, but you get good quality back then too!! :thumbsup:

Ooops... considered useless and unhelpful post? :embrass:

Well said. Learnt something today!

sykestang said:
Major point to note!!!

The AFD20-35 f/2.8 lens is hand polish... ie for the same AFD20-35 f/2.8, 2 identical lens will produce 2 different picture quality in terms of colour reproduction and contrast. Not to mention sharpness also.

ie. you either like it, or you hate it! The QC is not standardised. Also during the production period of the AFD20-35 f/2.8 back then... Nikon suffers a lot of wastage due to this inconsistency of the quality produced. Thus not surprise that most of the floating 2nd hand in the market are those who purchased but don't like the quality and sells it... especially those come from the US re-condition market. Unless you're sure that the guy who sold it actually going for upgrade or total lose interest photography... But this will be difficult to tell. :D

So don't make a fast decision when getting this lens... take your time and choose properly. I believe there are actually more than 1pc available in the 2nd hand market now. :)

nightwolf75 said:
eh... i used to have the tokina b4 selling it off... while its pretty good for its price in terms of sharpness and colour reproduction, comparing the tokina with the nikon version is like comparing a lada with a ferrari...

the tokina has to be stepped down b4 its sharp. shooting at f2.8, while can be done if u dun need to enlarge ur pics, produced images a little on the soft side particularly ard the sharp edges. only at f4 and above then the images are sharp. the nikon version, needless to say, can be used at f2.8 comfortably.

the only downside of the nikon 20-35 (apart from the price, compared to tokina) is dat, in DSLR terms, its not too wide and not too tele (~30-53mm, in 35mm terms). on film, its great!

Thanks nightwolf. At 1 time, I am very tempted to get the Tokina 20-35mm f2.8, although I have the F3.5 version. Just keep on pondering what are the difference between Tokina and Nikon Lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.