1st hand or 2nd hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the amazingly ridiculous asking prices for used items in BnS nowadays, TS, just save your money and go 1st hand.

Brand new body difference is not much nowadays $150 to $300 most, compare to 2nd hand set
example 450D is $999 (new) / 2nd hand maybe $700 plus to $800 plus depends on condition.

However, lens prices don't drop much, don't why...

Hi everyone!

Im looking forward to buy a entry level Canon camera however I cannot decide on whether to buy a new or a used camera. My worries are that 1st hand camera is a tat more expensive and a 2nd hand is not guaranteed of its condition. Even though the seller gives his word damage of internal hardware will not be apparent if he has dropped it before.

So i hope that maybe you guys can give me some advice, like how to check for internal damage if possible, or does the canon warranty cover accidental damage so that even if the seller has dropped his camera before i would not have to pay to fix it.

Thanks!!!!:D

I'd rather buy 1st hand, reason being I tried buying 2nd hand for several items but prices are ridiculously high, and yet there're still takers... With only a hundred dollars or less +/- difference, might as well buy brand new.

Unless of course u can get from BNS real cheap, which there are, but its like waiting to strike 4D...

I went thro the same dilemma and bought a first hand camera.

I had more reasons to buy first hand than second:

1) I'm a worry wart.
If I buy a second hand one, I'll always have the worry that something is not right with it. If the images come out lousy, I'll think that it's the camera because it's second-hand. It's been abused before and so doesn't work quite right.

2) I'm new to dslrs.
I won't know what's not right with the camera. I don't know how to check for faults.

3) I'll always ask myself if I should have got a new camera instead.
I'll kill myself over this question.

4) The second-hand prices were never right (for me).
I looked in the BnS section. I tried to source for the camera I wanted. The prices were either too high (one or two hundred lesser than the brand new price) or too low (could something be wrong with the camera?)

So there. You can say it's out of frustration with second-hand cameras and their prices that made me buy a brand new one.

Yeah, perhaps if I ever becomes veteran with dslrs, I might get a second-hand one provided the price difference is substantial.

Last edited:
I go 2nd hand because I can get higher end camera/lenses for much less; especially those that are 1 or 2 years old.

The catch - one must be technically incline to assess the equipment.

I went thro the same dilemma and bought a first hand camera.

I had more reasons to buy first hand than second:

1) I'm a worry wart.
If I buy a second hand one, I'll always have the worry that something is not right with it. If the images come out lousy, I'll think that it's the camera because it's second-hand. It's been abused before and so doesn't work quite right.

2) I'm new to dslrs.
I won't know what's not right with the camera. I don't know how to check for faults.

3) I'll always ask myself if I should have got a new camera instead.
I'll kill myself over this question.

4) The second-hand prices were never right (for me).
I looked in the BnS section. I tried to source for the camera I wanted. The prices were either too high (one or two hundred lesser than the brand new price) or too low (could something be wrong with the camera?)

So there. You can say it's out of frustration with second-hand cameras and their prices that made me buy a brand new one.

Yeah, perhaps if I ever becomes veteran with dslrs, I might get a second-hand one provided the price difference is substantial.

Thanks for all your opinions especially this! So now i have decided to buy a new camera since what rains said applies perfectly for me. I have way too much concern about the treatment of the camera by the ex-owner, I should get a new one. Now i will have to work doubly hard, double OT double everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.