18-55mm Kit lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds good, i'll probably keep the kit lens since it looks like a great thing to have when the moolah is low..

i'll probably get the 350D and the kit first, then dream about the rest later...

sounds good, i'll probably keep the kit lens since it looks like a great thing to have when the moolah is low..

i'll probably get the 350D and the kit first, then dream about the rest later...

Yeah...much better then spending on lens which you discover that you don't like it later. Also, so seriously consider getting 2nd hand stuff in the begining first, can really save you alot of cash.

i never considered buying brand new man! i cant afford it!

i know that i have this BBB bug built in me, at least, if i buy and buy, i can hope to sell without loosing too much!

I believe you have already set your mind on a DSLR system.
Go with your heart, and just get whatever you can afford.
Do include the cost of a dry cabinet if don't already own one.

Just buy !!!
Shoot first !!!
Think later ... :bsmilie:

The body and the kit lens should give you a good start.
Just get familiar with it first, and save up for better lens later.
Once you get familiar, and you want to upgrade to something wider,
the Tokina 12-24 f4 will be a good choice for landscape.

oooh! i like your concept man!

me being me, i live that man! everything i do i do for the moment and normally, a couple days down the road i get smacked on the head by my mum for wasting money... the last 2 months i've been on a shopping spree, arowana,camera,fishing rod.. and soon, a dslr.

oooh! i like your concept man!

me being me, i live that man! everything i do i do for the moment and normally, a couple days down the road i get smacked on the head by my mum for wasting money... the last 2 months i've been on a shopping spree, arowana,camera,fishing rod.. and soon, a dslr.

You hit the jackport? :bsmilie: I regreted quite a bit when I buy and sell stuff.....When I was younger I also spend like siow!! Bicycle ($2K plus), Bait Casting fishing system ($1K plus), RC cars ($1K plus), RC helicopter ($2K plus), now DSLR system ($10K plus).....Not forgetting computers($7K plus)

oh well.. if you dont do it now then when are you going to?

when you are 6 feet under?

An advice to TS rgd the kit lens: Avoid shooting at f3.5 18mm with the kit lens, where possible, do f5.6. Between 5.6 to 11 the quality is equivalent. Next avoid any filter, no UV/skylight. Unless you are using B+W, which still will reduce quailty.

The kit lens does produce decent images and gives a good range for its $50-60 value. However it is not for any important/paid work as it gives less than satisfying quality. To get a few of this, simply borrow any other lens, a mid range 3rd party will do, shoot and view at 100%.

It is definitely a no-no for me as my work needs to be blown up often and i have to make every of the 12million pixels count. However if you like to shoot and resize your images to 5-10% of the original size like many do, then please dont waste money on newer lens.

hmm.. sounds like sound advice.

just a question, why is the f3.5 end of the lens screwed? is it the norm with most cheaper lenses that the larger apertures dont perform as much as the smaller ones?

hmm.. sounds like sound advice.

just a question, why is the f3.5 end of the lens screwed? is it the norm with most cheaper lenses that the larger apertures dont perform as much as the smaller ones?

Screwed? What do you mean?

screwed as in not good.

xc pictorial said to avoid taking pictures at f3.5 and i was just wondering why i should avoid doing so..

thanks!

xc pictorial said to avoid taking pictures at f3.5 and i was just wondering why i should avoid doing so..

thanks!

my guess, from the len review & usage experience, @f3.5, the len perform badly ..
refer to http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_1855_3556/index.htm
note the VERDICT section:
"Under controlled conditions (stopping down two stops at 18mm) the lens can provide very decent results"

thanks!

If you are not going to blow up your pics to A0 size, actually the F3.5 Aperture is still useful. Usually for cheaper lens, they have less aperture blade, and more prone to CA. At smaller aperture eg. F8, issues of the "poor" glasses become less visible.

friend..

1) start with kit lens.. it is fairly good lens to start with.. the quality is ok from f/4 onwards, good at f/5.6 and great at f/8.. For most of landscape shots, you would be using f/8..

2) Dont worry too much about night scenes and dim light conditions at these stage.. With latest cameras giving good images at high ISO,you can just increase the ISO..

3) I would say dont put anything into a new lens until you have shot a couple hundered shots and you will have better understanding of your requirements.

4) There is no Canon 28-135 non IS.. the nearest you can get is tamron 24-135mm lens which has a good rating for its built and optics. I prefer canon 24-85mm lens - its cheap,good quality, great contrast and very light.

5) Instead invest in a good tripod.. Most of eye popping night scenes are taken on tripods at longer exposures. With a tripod, you would not need any IS in the lens..

happy shooting
Andy

If you are not going to blow up your pics to A0 size, actually the F3.5 Aperture is still useful.

No.

Take a shot at f3.5, another at f5.6 18mm.

Even looking at the 2.5" LCD, you can make out a diff.

If not just look on a 15" LCD without going to 100%. Difference is significant.

I am saying this because i have a few copies of this lens.

No.

Take a shot at f3.5, another at f5.6 18mm.

Even looking at the 2.5" LCD, you can make out a diff.

If not just look on a 15" LCD without going to 100%. Difference is significant.

I am saying this because i have a few copies of this lens.

If you print at 4R no diff....printed many before!

hmm... thanks for the great advice. i think i am pretty set on a 350D with a kit lens for the time being

Status
Not open for further replies.