OFFICIAL: CANON EOS 1DX - User Thread

Aww man crap... Out of curiosity, I tried shooting without any lens attached. My 1DX is still giving me the same problem but this time less frequently but I'm able to reproduce the error successfully everytime. :(

bring it to canon at harbour front then, or get a refund from the guy who sold the 1DX to you

Here is a video of how the issue looks like. Anyway i don't think i will be so lucky as to get a refund for the camera. :(

[video=youtube;EZvqaIarsOA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZvqaIarsOA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:
9081_10200882181429999_801028326_n.jpg

Taken in Hokkaido, Japan with 24-70mm f2.8 II USM at 24mm; f9.0; ISO 50; 0.3s

Last edited:
1078643_10200887376799880_500294147_o.jpg

Workhorse Racing!
24-70mm f2.8 II USM at 70mm; ISO320; f3.2; 1/640sec

Last edited:
Got my 1DX back today. It's working very well and I can no longer reproduce the error no matter how much i tried. The service sheet indicates that a firmware upgrade (it was already on 1.2.4 previously) and functionality test was done. I would like to give my biggest thanks to the seller for all his help in liaising with Canon and ensuring that my camera is in good working condition. The best seller I have ever met in CS. :thumbsup: up for his gentleman act! Will post pictures next time! :)

Great and looking forwards to more photos that speak a thousand words.....

can anyone share which remote lcd display you are using to tap off from1dx hdmi port?

Can someone please share with me about the Canon 1Dx lubrication problem? I called Canon today and the service center doesn't seems to know this problem. I am not sure I am sending the camera to them.

Thanks for help.

Can someone please share with me about the Canon 1Dx lubrication problem? I called Canon today and the service center doesn't seems to know this problem. I am not sure I am sending the camera to them.

Thanks for help.

Show them this link for the product advisory. I am surprised that the service center told you they were not aware of it. I sent mine for servicing and they were aware of it.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consu...geKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e024809120b7

1277648_10201271009430456_1076701766_o.jpg

ISO 2000 35mm f18 0.8s
EF 24-70mm f2.8 II USM

Last edited:
1077169_10201270915828116_1510537732_o.jpg

ISO 1600 35mm f18 1.3s
EF 24-70mm f2.8II USM

Last edited:
Sent the Canon 1DX for the affected camera due to the phenomena as per the Product Advisories for service on 14 Oct, 2013.

Collected it on 17 Oct, 2013. Discovered minute particle through the viewfinder with black spot at the center bottom.

Sent for service on 18 Oct, 2013 and managed to clean it. Tested it on site with multiple quick shots and again another curvy minute particle appeared in the viewfinder on the right top corner. Service staff again managed to clean it too.

As stated in the Product Advisories, it is stated under Phenomena that...In some units of the models listed below, there is a possibility that the following phenomena may occur due to wear caused by insufficient lubrication within the camera's driving mechanism.' So inherently, the affected Canon 1DX is a defective camera in the first place. It explained the frequent appearance of the minute particles even though the affected camera has been serviced as in my case as stated above.

Have written to Canon and awaiting their position to deal with defective camera such as this flagship, top of the range Canon 1DX. I do not wish to visit the Service Center whenever there is another appearance of the minute particle in the viewfinder. Worst still, if the camera failed to operate in the future due to the presence of the minute particle even after being serviced by Canon.

Wondering if there is any official statement from Canon that they are doing something to ensure it would not cause this minute particle again?

Just hope that Canon Singapore be the first country in the world to resolve this minute particle once and for all for this flagship camera....

Following discussion found in the dpreview..
===================================
Re: My New 1DX Has Black Spots.
In reply to slarti bartfast, 5 hours ago
slarti bartfast wrote:

Two days ago i picked up a 1dx with an '8' as its 6th digit, it also has the 1.2.4 firmware already on board. After 2 days use it has over 20 black spots in the top right of the viewfinder. There is no letter "A" or any black mark on the silver bit. Before i used it i asked canon service about the lack of an "A" or black mark. They said if any problems developed they would fix it and i should not worry and just go ahead and enjoy the camera. I pushed for an answer as to -if the "fix" was already done at the assembly stage of my camera. I was told that at some stage they have to stop marking the cams with "a" and black marks because it just makes for more assembly procedures.

I tried to check the net to see at what point the 1.2.4 came out and if this was well after the "recall" then maybe mine with the 1.2.4 implemented at the assembly stage means mine is a recent body.

I walked to another camera store today and had a look at their display 1dx and it had a 7 (as it's 6th digit) and an 'A' in the batt area. So, the "a" is not just a North America thing which was another reason given by canon Australia as to why mine has no markings.

Can anyone help me clear up if mine is a recent body?. I do remember reading here that someone else hand an 8 that developed spots so, i'm not alone at least.

No you are ANYTHING but alone. I also thought that getting an 8 would work because Canon did not include them in the defective 1DX list. They still have not update the list: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e024809120b7

As a matter of fact. I got the new Canon 1DX 8, it suffered all the defects with oil splash, pieces of black plastic or metal in the mirror box, no focus, no AF. BRICKED.

Then Canon repaired it by replacing the mirror box and BINGO! The next day all the defects back again and it was sent back to Canon.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE the 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 canon eos 1DX cameras are all, like ticking time-bombs. At some point they have to fail. You just never know when!!!! This thin piece of plastic rubbing at such high speed on metal has to give.

The lube cannot last as it's not encupsulated. Heat, cold, regular use, storage position all can shift the lube and you've got metal rubbing on plastic. BAM! Oil and metal plastic all in the mirror box and your AF system is TOAST.

As I've stated before in the most humble way. Based on my work with auto engine lifters, which run at much higher speeds and with much more pressure as metal on metal... "A thin micro coating of teflon" on the plastic piece could solve all this. The teflon can be applied 3 ways. Canon can opt to use any method they choose. It might bethe least expensive way for Canon to clean this up.

However. Every 1DX would have to have a new mirror box put in with the defective plastic covered in teflon. This holds true because even the 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 and 8's with black markings and white A's in the battery compartment are still failing.

ANY person taking this camera as their "one and only" into the field, is taking a chance. I know most of us have back-ups but there are critical situations where you can only have one or you're in deep kim-chee.

Most embeds need to travel light. You pick your glass and lens VERY well. even DINFOS with the D600's were not clear. http://petapixel.com/2013/08/30/rumor-nikon-prepping-release-two-new-cameras-d5300-d610/

It seems both Nikon and Canon have a few "Black Specs" to clean up in their future! <ROFL>

I will be taking it back to the shop but don't know if I should expect a replacement or let them send it off to get fixed.

slarti
===============================

All IDX users, do check through your viewfinder any minute particle by looking at bright subject or wall but definitely not directly to the sun after using your camera for shooting.

I know the 1DX viewfinder is a dust magnet. I can't be bothered to clean it as it doesn't affect my pictures at all. What does happen though, after sensor cleaning, whenever I shoot at F16 and above, black spots would still appear in my photos. My friend cleaned his viewfinder at canon only to have it dirty again the next day. No issue though if pictures are not affected.

Stop worrying about particles in the viewfinder bro. Here is a picture taken with my 1DX that has not only a lot of dust and hair in the viewfinder, but also some dust on the sensor. Anyway I think I owe a picture in this thread after the fix at Canon sometime back.

10442396023_0d1147701a_c.jpg

1DX
ISO 200 17mm f11
Sigma 12-24mm F4-5.6 II
5 Exposure blended in PS

Last edited:
New Canon 1DX firmware has been announced in Canon HK website. It will be released in Jan 2014. Some of the improvement include :

http://www.canon.com.hk/en/corporate/press_release/pressReleaseDetails.do?prmid=10855

Improved Features of EOS-1D X New Firmware Upgrade
Improved Autofocus (AF) Performance
&#8226;Improved AF performance under low-light conditions in AI Servo AF
&#8226;Enhanced the settings of [Acceleration/Deceleration Tracking] parameters in [AF Configuration Tool]
&#8226;Enhanced the parameter setting of [AI Servo 2nd Image Priority]

More Flexible AF Operability
&#8226;New [Separate AF Points: Point Only] option in [Orientation Linked AF Point] setting. Only AF points manually assigned to each orientation are memorized and automatically applied based on shooting orientation
&#8226;New [Initial AF Point, for AI Servo AF] setting for choosing the initial AF point to use for AI Servo AF when switching from manual AF point selection to 61-point auto selection AF

More Convenient Exposure Control
&#8226;Exposure Compensation can now be set in Manual Exposure Mode with Auto ISO using customized [SET] button with main dial or in Quick Control screen
&#8226;Enhanced [Minimum Shutter Speed] setting in Auto ISO to enable minimum shutter speed from 1/500 second to 1/8000 second
&#8226;Newly added [Same Expo. for New Aperture] custom function. In occasions that the aperture value may change such as exchanging a lens with different maximum/minimum aperture, attaching/detaching an extender etc., this new function will automatically change the ISO speed or shutter speed to maintain the same exposure in Manual Exposure Mode

Further Customization and More Playback Options
&#8226;4 detailed settings are now added when assigning [Metering and AF Start] to AF-ON button or AE lock button
&#8226;New [One shot <> AI Servo] option is added to the Custom Control of both AF-ON button and AE lock button for quick switching between One shot AF and AI Servo AF
&#8226;New [Display Protected Images Only] option is added to both [Image Jump with Main Dial] and [Slide Show] playback settings

Anyone knows the current price of the 1DX at Cathay? Think I rested long enough.....been off photography for too long....

There is a new firmware update for 1DX:
http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/0400115902.html

Firmware Version 2.0.3 incorporates the following functional improvements and fixes.

1. Auto focusing performance under low-light conditions has been enhanced when performing focusing before shooting in AI Servo AF mode. The enhancement comes from the improvement in tracking capability for the first image in the low-light conditions.
2. The number of release parameters settings for the "AI Servo AF 2nd image priority" AF function has been increased to enable improved AF tracking in low light or maintain consistent high frames rates during continuous shooting.
3. The number of parameters for acceleration/deceleration tracking in the AF Configuration Tool will has been increased.
4. Exposure compensation can be performed when using manual exposure and ISO Auto.
5. The minimum shutter speed limit for ISO Auto has been increased with shutter speeds up to 1/8000.
6. A new function to keep the exposure constant by altering the ISO or shutter speed in manual exposure, when the aperture value changes when zooming or changing lenses has been added.
7. A new option has been added to orientation linked AF point to enable only the AF point to switch as you change orientation rather than both AF point/ AF area settings
8. A new option to continue to use the previously manually selected AF point as the initial starting AF point when switching to 61-point automatic selection has been added.
9. New customization of the Exposure metering and AF controls has been added for more flexibility.
10. The number of possibilities for controls to switch between one-shot AF and AI Servo AF using custom controls has been increased.
11. A function has been added to allow the playback and review of protected images only.
12. A phenomenon has been fixed in which the white balance may be disturbed by the timing of the shutter release when the drive mode is single shooting and a flash (E-TTL)is used.