Noob: does AF-S 18-70mm reduce shake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

compro_1975

Apr 24, 2005
hi there, want to ask does: [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']AF-S 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED DX able to reduce shake effect like wat panasonic usually call as mega OIS...[/FONT]

The AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED has VR capabilities.
More info here: http://www.nikon.com.sg/productitem.php?pid=825-ff2662b928

You can also do a search on google or in CS to find user reviews on this lens.

ok seen, wanna ask the following:

The lens offers users the remarkable 18-200mm focal length range, which conveniently covers everything from wide landscapes to tight portrait shots. (The picture angle is equivalent to a 27-300mm lens in 35mm format.)

the part in red, y they will say 27-300mm lens leh???

Nikon has some new lens with VR that is close to the focal lengths you're interested in.
- AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR (5.3x)
- AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR (3.0x)

However, do take note that they are DX lens... Meaning you will have to multiply the focal lengths by 1.5 due to the Nikon bodies having 1.5x crop factor. Even if you mount them on full frame camera like D3, you can't really shoot it at full frame...

Anyway, why do you want VR for lens in this focal length range? Assuming you're shooting at 18mm wide, according to 1/focal length rule, your shutter speed can go as low as 1/18 seconds or even lower before the handshake is significant.

Nikon's VR claimed to help you up to 2 to 3 stops... But I think better alternatives to these lens will be 17-35mm f2.8 or the 17-55mm f2.8 (this is a DX lens btw), even though f2.8 VS f3.5 is approx 1 stop...

Anyway, why do you want VR for lens in this focal length range? Assuming you're shooting at 18mm wide, according to 1/focal length rule, your shutter speed can go as low as 1/18 seconds or even lower before the handshake is significant.

Don't think this statement is quite correct.

Don't think this statement is quite correct.
Well, of course, the 1/focal length rule is only a guide and I know it's subjective... My hands are shaky and 1/focal length don't work for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.