New bird using EOS 550D

086b1952.jpg

88cd24e1.jpg

Hi, can someone comment on the above link ?

Hey Andrew, I think you really should read the books and learn the basic concepts of photography first. It will help you understand why your pictures turn out the way they are. Go read "Understanding Exposure", available from almost all the public libraries. I guarantee you will have many "ah" and "oh I see" moments.

If you don't understand the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO; how the light meter works and how depth of field works, then you will have a hard time improving. It's like trying to drive a car without know what the steering wheel, accelerator pedal and brake pedal do.

rhema83 said:
Hey Andrew, I think you really should read the books and learn the basic concepts of photography first. It will help you understand why your pictures turn out the way they are. Go read "Understanding Exposure", available from almost all the public libraries. I guarantee you will have many "ah" and "oh I see" moments.

If you don't understand the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO; how the light meter works and how depth of field works, then you will have a hard time improving. It's like trying to drive a car without know what the steering wheel, accelerator pedal and brake pedal do.

Ok, I'll listen to u. Thks a million.

So, next time I'll know what to do. Thanks.
Btw, the 3rd image, I took from my client $15million dollar penthouse. Not many people hv the chance. I shld hv do it correctly.

nice vantage point....a fresh view of this area.......thanks for sharing

88cd24e1.jpg

Hi, can someone comment on the above link ?

Bro, save your pics in 1000 pixels size instead of 1024, otherwise it will look sligthly softer here, due to "force" downsize.

Oh, welcome to the 550D "club" :)

Last edited:
v0857 said:
nice vantage point....a fresh view of this area.......thanks for sharing

You are most welcome !!

v0857 said:
Bro, save your pics in 1000 pixels size instead of 1024, otherwise it will look softer here, due to "force" downsize.

Wow, this is too "qium" for me to understand. Can u elaborate more ??

Hi, for night shooting, to get a sharp image, is it better to set long shutter (20sec), high aperture (F11) THAN short shutter (2sec), low aperture (F3.5) ???

I also suggested "Understanding Exposure" as the best book to start with, you should understand more about aperture, shutter speed, ISO and how this combination affect your image.

In the mean time I tried to reply your question above.

1. For landscape you in general should use high f, usually I use 5.6 to 11. The reason is for landscape picture you want everything in the scene to be as sharp as possible, and high f gives you large Depth of Field. Should avoid using higher f than f11 as for most lens diffraction start kicking in after f11, the picture taken by your lens is actually less sharp.
2. Long or short shutter does not decide the sharpness of your picture if you mount your camera on a sturdy tripod. But for landscape with water in the scene, longer shutter makes the water look kind of soft and dreamy, so it is a good practice here.
3. Most people who just start taking landscape make a mistake in focusing to infinity. Try to read about hyper focus distance and focus correctly.

Here is what I will do for the Helix Bridge scene.
Mount camera on tripod, and compose the picture
Set your lens to 18mm, f to 11, adjust ISO such that shutter speed 15 sec for a good exposure.
Set focus distance to around 2.3meter(which will provide sharpness from 1.5m to infinity)
Shoot
This settings should give a much sharper image :)

Just my 2 cent.
Would welcome any experienced bro to drop in and give some hints to my workflow, I'm still new and is here to learn too :D

esplanadepart2201106192.jpg

Wow, this is too "qium" for me to understand. Can u elaborate more ??

When you resize your photo in your photo editor, choose 1000px. If there isn't this ready selection, there should be a "adjust longer length" or similar option, choose it and type 1000. Hope my explaination helps.

v0857 said:
When you resize your photo in your photo editor, choose 1000px. If there isn't this ready selection, there should be a "adjust longer length" or similar option, choose it and type 1000. Hope my explaination helps.

Wow, let me try. Thanks.

TS, from the looks of your pictures, the main problem is perhaps the lack of experience.

usually for landscapes, i will stop down to at least f8.0 to ensure i get enough depth into the pictures, max i will go is f13. most lenses are also at their sharpest when stopped down 2-3 stops from wide opened.

post processing also holds considerable importance as to how a picture will turn out. punching in some contrast and vibrance will remove most of the hazy look in your pictures.

for the record, my take on the similar scene, from my then 18-135:

IMG_1003---.jpg

tecnica said:
TS, from the looks of your pictures, the main problem is perhaps the lack of experience.

usually for landscapes, i will stop down to at least f8.0 to ensure i get enough depth into the pictures, max i will go is f13. most lenses are also at their sharpest when stopped down 2-3 stops from wide opened.

post processing also holds considerable importance as to how a picture will turn out. punching in some contrast and vibrance will remove most of the hazy look in your pictures.

for the record, my take on the similar scene, from my then 18-135:

OMG, my aperture for night shooting is always 3-4. Now I must adjust to 8 & abv. Thanks for sharing.
Btw, ur pic is very nice.

maybe try shooting during the blue hour, that is when the sky is still blue when captured on sensor.

if you want to learn, try reading this link

Cheers and all the best on your journey in photography!