EOS 70D officially announced and previewed

[video=youtube;ItEwu3dNr2I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItEwu3dNr2I[/video]

Hmmm i just noticed something....

Owned this 70D for a few days, and I have taken approximately 15 test shots... and just realized the IMG_NUMBER is now at IMG_8786... on a brand new SD-card.

Now, of course I understand that it'll never be at IMG_0001 since they should do some testing of the unit but isn't 8700++ a bit excessive? Or did I get a display set?

Owned this 70D for a few days, and I have taken approximately 15 test shots... and just realized the IMG_NUMBER is now at IMG_8786... on a brand new SD-card.

Now, of course I understand that it'll never be at IMG_0001 since they should do some testing of the unit but isn't 8700++ a bit excessive? Or did I get a display set?

you can download the free app for shutter count at eosmsg.com. Supports 70D. Not tested before. But no harm trying. Its accurate on my friends 700D.

You can format the card in the camera itself and reset the counter.

8686 images on a brand new Canon 70D is absolutely excessive! There is a possible reason this may have happened. If another SD card with several images on it was placed in your new camera then the image count would jump to the number recorded in the card. Is it possible that you or the dealer who sold you the camera may have placed an older, well used SD card into your 70D?

The only (free) way to truly find out the shutter count is to do what azurebluee suggested... download the eosmsg.com app and see what it says. The only other option is to bring it to CSC and pay a nominal charge for the information.

you can download the free app for shutter count at eosmsg.com. Supports 70D. Not tested before. But no harm trying. Its accurate on my friends 700D.

You can format the card in the camera itself and reset the counter.

Thanks for the link man! Worked like a charm. Shutter count showed 20 :p

And yeah. Raydio could be right. Probably an old SD-card was used without formatting and the camera continued the shutter numbering.

Appreciate the fast replies! :)

Thanks for the link man! Worked like a charm. Shutter count showed 20 :p

And yeah. Raydio could be right. Probably an old SD-card was used without formatting and the camera continued the shutter numbering.

Appreciate the fast replies! :)

:) Glad it works. You saved $21.40 by getting the shutter count from canon.

One of the thing that always buffle me is... why Canon always keep their shutter count information a secret... and make getting it kind of tough... It is only until recently that I am able to check the shutter count for my 7D. Why can't Canon just do like what Nikon did... be more generous and put that in the exif?

Does checking of shutter count from CSC also form part of Canon's overall profit :dunno:

One of the thing that always buffle me is... why Canon always keep their shutter count information a secret... and make getting it kind of tough... It is only until recently that I am able to check the shutter count for my 7D. Why can't Canon just do like what Nikon did... be more generous and put that in the exif?

Does checking of shutter count from CSC also form part of Canon's overall profit :dunno:

Yes I've often wondered this too. It wouldn't be too much to ask for an accurate shutter count in firmware. It's such a simplistic thing and yet Canon has turned a deaf ear on this feature.

Yes I've often wondered this too. It wouldn't be too much to ask for an accurate shutter count in firmware. It's such a simplistic thing and yet Canon has turned a deaf ear on this feature.

Canon is weird in this way. No lens hood for non-L lens. Took forever before making center-pinch caps. It's like they are so focused on their priority items that such minor conveniences are at the bottom of their list of to-do things.

Should I upgrade my over 2 years old 60D to 70D ?

If the following points below are you need which is lacking in the 60D, then the upgrade might be worth considering.

More AF points (useful)
Faster AF system for photo and liveview (very useful)
Wifi (nice to have)
in camera HDR (not useful as I use ps to merge)
Af microadjustment (may come in handy)

I can't comment on the noise level as some samples in the earlier threads show obvious signs of noise at high iso (some beyond my tolerance level). The noise might be due to sharpening in pp. Still waiting for more reviews.

switched from 650D to 70D.
couldn't be happier..
never managed to shoot but just playing around.
the wifi remote shoot thingy was cool..!!!

Took some time to walk around in the town and this's what i've got and did some PP using LR v5.2.

Just one photo but more will be coming up soon. It's awesome!

http://500px.com/photo/46936122

Last edited:
I have taken some nice shots with my family. Unfortunately, I don't pose family photos online. :bsmilie: