Canon Powershot G11 Announced!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zplus

Mar 16, 2002
Some equitorial, tropical isle
Canon just announced the G11!
Good news: Swival screen is back! Sync at 1/2000 flash. :)
Bad news: Lens is the same as that of the G10 - i.e. not f2.0 and 28mm widest....:confused:

I think with lots of folks already buying the LX3, G11 came a little late. They should have retained all the great features of the G series from the beginning. i.e. swival screen, raw, f2.0, ND filter, intervalometer....

I still have a G3 that I use occasionally. So who's buying??
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09081908canong11.asp

And they reduced the megapixels to 10.4

Unless they rediced the megapixel to improve dynamic range and / or noise... but I doubt it since its a CCD sensor so I am guessing its an outsourced sensor... (sony?).

No HD video too... when even handphones allow HD video.... the Canon market research folks should be fired.... what were they thinking?

The new S90 seems to be quite similar to the G11 actually... so if its cheaper... maybe its a better buy. Its got a f2.0 lens!? Why!?

Last edited:
very disappointing specs....

My G7 takes better video :confused:

Unless the IQ is brilliant, this model is irrelevant.

not impressive, i will rather get a LX3...

Actually, they released a few PnS along with the G11... now where's the EOS release.

The PowerShot series has never failed to confuse me... S90, S-Series, SX10, SX1IS, SD-Series, G yada yada

Last edited:
Actually, it seems like the usual Canon market segmentation thing again....
- want swival screen? go to G11/SX20
- want fast lens? go to S90
- want HD video? go to SX20

Want all 3? Wait one more year and hope they release a new one.;p

so which one u all think is better G10 or G11???? cause i geting a G10 soon....

so which one u all think is better G10 or G11???? cause i geting a G10 soon....
One is 14MP, one is 10MP. One has larger fixed LCD, one has swivel LCD. Which one do you fancy?

Actually, it seems like the usual Canon market segmentation thing again....
- want swival screen? go to G11/SX20
- want fast lens? go to S90
- want HD video? go to SX20

Want all 3? Wait one more year and hope they release a new one.;p

want fast lens AND HD video... buy LX3 :devil:

dpreview said:
The G11 is equipped to deal with any light condition. Low Light mode enables photographers to shoot up to ISO 12,800 in reduced 2.5MP resolution at 2.4fps capturing brilliant shots indoors without the need for a flash, whilst a built-in Neutral Density (ND) filter decreases light levels by 3 stops allowing creative control in bright conditions.

G10 got built in ND?

I think real competitor to the LX3 is the S90 and not the G11. I like the lens control ring feature; can use to change aperture just like in the good old days of manual cameras!

want fast lens AND HD video... buy LX3 :devil:

Yes, it seems tempting to get the LX3 even though I am using all Canon. No reason to get Canon P&S right now coz of this segmentation game they are playing.... sigh...:dunno:

Still, wait for the samples to see if there is indeed truth in their "less mega pixels for better noise and dynamic range".

G10 got built in ND?

Yup, all G series has a built in ND filter that can be activated. I believe it slides over the sensor.;)

Looks to me S90 is more a competitor to LX3 than G11

• compact size ( 100 x 58 x 31 mm vs LX3' 108.7 x 59.5 x 27.1 mm)
  • f2.0 wide-angle lens (same)
  • 28-105mm (more useful than LX3' 24-60mm)
  • ISO 3200 (same)
Let's wait to see how the Canon S90's IQ comes out under similar 10mp sensor (slightly smaller)?

Last edited:
One is 14MP, one is 10MP. One has larger fixed LCD, one has swivel LCD. Which one do you fancy?
Yeah, G10 and G11's lens are the same. Just the bells and whistles that are different.

Power...u still have ur G3. :thumbsup: Still remember the good times I had with it then. ;p

Oh yes! Still going strong but with some dead pixels and also the rubber grip is totally stripped off. Can't go wrong with that f2 to f3 lens. Downgraded to taking pics of my toys where the swival screen is really useful... Mwa-hahahaha!
:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.