Alan Photo Funan Bad Experience

danggitbai

Mar 19, 2010
I was at Funan yesterday for a 52mm filter. I went first to John 3:16 and the guy said they don't have the CPL type. SLR Rev doesn't have stock either. Out of the blue I inquired about the Vitacon 46mm filter for the GF1 pancake lens. That nice chubby fellow quoted me $6. I was surprised and asked him again. He smiled and told me it's $6. A small shop in front of Cathay Peninsula gave me a price of the Vitacon for $16.

I got my GF1 kit from Alan Photo together with the lens protector and the 46mm Vitacon. It was the tall guy with a moustache who charged me the price $45 for the filter. Imagine the difference of 45 bucks with $6 or even $16.

I know a lot of you here got some good experiences with AP. I'm one of those because I also bought my Nikon DSLR there last 2007..not until yesterday. This Vitacon rip off was obviously just a few dollars. I've read from another thread that someone paid $30 for it from AP. If the price of the item is really that high then no worries I'll pay for it. But if you are overcharging from the usual price then that's another story.

If you can't be trusted with small things then how much more with bigger things.

I was at Funan yesterday for a 52mm filter. I went first to John 3:16 and the guy said they don't have the CPL type. SLR Rev doesn't have stock either. Out of the blue I inquired about the Vitacon 46mm filter for the GF1 pancake lens. That nice chubby fellow quoted me $6. I was surprised and asked him again. He smiled and told me it's $6. A small shop in front of Cathay Peninsula gave me a price of the Vitacon for $16.

I got my GF1 kit from Alan Photo together with the lens protector and the 46mm Vitacon. It was the tall guy with a moustache who charged me the price $45 for the filter. Imagine the difference of 45 bucks with $6 or even $16.

I know a lot of you here got some good experiences with AP. I'm one of those because I also bought my Nikon DSLR there last 2007..not until yesterday. This Vitacon rip off was obviously just a few dollars. I've read from another thread that someone paid $30 for it from AP. If the price of the item is really that high then no worries I'll pay for it. But if you are overcharging from the usual price then that's another story.

If you can't be trusted with small things then how much more with bigger things.
btw, did you managed to buy that filter at $6? sometime they bluff or they make a blunder. when they realize it, they will say no stock. at the least they are genuine stuff. nowadays, consumer shld really do some homework; ask more shop and compare. this is sad but true. the whole sales industry is full of deceit

it is not just camera accessories that these sales ppl is ripping the consumer apart. handphone , handphone accessories, battery.. worse thing is they sell fake nokia battery as original. don't trust those shop in chinatown, all cheats. buy only from nokia shop even if it is few tens of dollar pricey

I didn't buy the $6 filter.

Actually, its quite common for such high markup for brands like vitacon and its recommended retail price. The one selling for $6 will probably use the bait and switch tactic later on.

always be careful.

anyways, never liked ap , never liked john 3:16 either.

this is the number don't know how many times i see AP-funan name comes up....when will this end? ain't there enough review yet.

i think everyone here should accept by now that this is the bad state of Singapore camera shops. And so I think people should stop posting all these bad shop experiences cos it's the norm here!

What's new really... The stories are as mundane as saying: "This morning I was pushed around at the MRT train entrance", "I saw tissue papers and umbrellas lying around the food court tables as people tried to reserve seats" blah blah.

Goatie hates ppl calling everybody brothers and hates smiling faces....Goatie prefers the OP style...pass u the item..leave u alone...

am i right?

Likewise, i dun buy any from AP (Attitute too bad) and John 3:16 (Attitude too good) either

Goatie hates ppl calling everybody brothers and hates smiling faces....Goatie prefers the OP style...pass u the item..leave u alone...

am i right?

yes, you very smart.

everytime a salesman smiles, i have the unexplainable need to hold on to my wallet tightly.

like that how to shop happily? :)

Quite a lot of people only do research on the pricey items so they will compare the camera body or lenses price to the second decimal point and is willing to walk back to the lower offer shop that might be 2km away.

After the purchase of a lens, this will usually happened:
Sales: "you got this $2k lens you better add a filter to protect it".
You: "Ah, good idea, I think I will get one, which one is better?"
Sales: "This Vitacon is the best in the market and the regular price is $250 but since you have bought the lens from me, I will give you a big discount - $150.
You: "Ok, I think I will get this one. Here is my credit card."

Later you found out the filter only costs $30...

Quite a lot of people only do research on the pricey items so they will compare the camera body or lenses price to the second decimal point and is willing to walk back to the lower offer shop that might be 2km away.

After the purchase of a lens, this will usually happened:
Sales: "you got this $2k lens you better add a filter to protect it".
You: "Ah, good idea, I think I will get one, which one is better?"
Sales: "This Vitacon is the best in the market and the regular price is $250 but since you have bought the lens from me, I will give you a big discount - $150.
You: "Ok, I think I will get this one. Here is my credit card."

Later you found out the filter only costs $30...

Wah, true lah. Maybe I was ripped too. Normally it happens all the time on the first purchase be it buying a car, home theatre system, home aircon or maybe renovating your house, no?

Life goes on lah.

Tat the reason why I tell myself never shop at AP Funan.... coz the customer service there really... :thumbsd:

the guy with the dye hair is it? or chubby guy with fair complexion and wear specs?

after reading your posts...for one's whose just starting into photography like me, care to share guys if "WHICH" place/shop you mostly would go and buy aside from AP and John 3:16 that you would be at ease and not feel guilty afterwards when buying your items?

Another bad tale about AP. They have such a consistent bad reputation I wonder why many still go there.

I would recommend Cathay Photo. They are not the cheapest but they wouldn't cheat you. You come away assured of genuine product at decent price. Bought most of my photo n camera stuff from there for so many years.

after reading your posts...for one's whose just starting into photography like me, care to share guys if "WHICH" place/shop you mostly would go and buy aside from AP and John 3:16 that you would be at ease and not feel guilty afterwards when buying your items?
better don't start. just play PNS camera... btw, can call the sweet lady from M S C0L0R.. beside AMK S11 coffeeshop. good service. no fake smile.