Viewfinder cleaning

boxerfan

Oct 19, 2008
Singapore
Did a search here but didn't find any past post...anyone has suggestions on how best to clean the viewfinder (without using blower)? I want to avoid blowing dust to the sensor.

I have tried cotton bud lightly wet with lens cleaning fluid, but I cannot reach the far corner without touching the mirror where are are couple of dust strands. Any ideas?

Maybe can document down some techniques that people use for future reference. Thanks!

u mean the focus screen?

boxerfan said:
Did a search here but didn't find any past post...anyone has suggestions on how best to clean the viewfinder (without using blower)? I want to avoid blowing dust to the sensor.

I have tried cotton bud lightly wet with lens cleaning fluid, but I cannot reach the far corner without touching the mirror where are are couple of dust strands. Any ideas?

Maybe can document down some techniques that people use for future reference. Thanks!

A search for "clean viewfinder focus screen" got lots of results. So I don't believe you did any search. :)

boxerfan said:

Hi boxerfan, if u change lenses on yr DSLR, sometimes dust gets in and settle on the sensor, shutter blades or the focussing screen. Based on my personal experience, usual a simple procedure with a blower would take care of the problem. Go find a relatively dust free place, dismount the lens, turn the body to face down, direct a few blasts from yr blower towards the focussing screen. This ought to remove light dust that has settled on the viewfinder screen. For blowing off dust on the sensor, you'd need to go to yr menu n lock up the shutter, then direct the blower towards the sensor. If these procedures still do not remove the dust, best to send in to NSC to hv them clean for u. Could be oil stains or other stuff that has found it way onto the screen or sensor. Don't risk 'wet cleaning' unless you really know what u are doing.

boxerfan said:

You're taking great risk damaging your senser. If senser damaged, the repairs amount be far more expensive than just cleaning service.
I will try blowing 1st, 2nd try with more blows if dust does not come out on 1st try. If failed after 2nd attempt, send in for cleaning will be next.
There are many videos in YouTube showing you how...I'm not a risk taker, so not going to do it myself.
All the best to your cleaning...

Thanks all. Yes I mean focus screen. Good tip to search YouTube :)

As for searching, yes I did but was overloaded with BnS entries. Probably didn't scroll through the pages far enough.

u can't run from dust. it'll bound to get over the sensor etc.

I really won't touch the focusing screen. I do cleaning of sensor myself regularly with no issues for 6 years and counting, but the one or two times I played with the focusing screen I really screwed it up. I'd say it's much more delicate than the sensor, imho.

You're taking great risk damaging your senser. If senser damaged, the repairs amount be far more expensive than just cleaning service.
I will try blowing 1st, 2nd try with more blows if dust does not come out on 1st try. If failed after 2nd attempt, send in for cleaning will be next.
There are many videos in YouTube showing you how...I'm not a risk taker, so not going to do it myself.
All the best to your cleaning...

Me too, I still don't have the courage to do the cleaning myself. Last time my sensor/viewfinder needed some cleaning it's still under warranty from NSC, so I brought it to them to clean for free. I know sooner or later I'm gonna have to do it myself If I don't want to pay for it...

Me too, I still don't have the courage to do the cleaning myself. Last time my sensor/viewfinder needed some cleaning it's still under warranty from NSC, so I brought it to them to clean for free. I know sooner or later I'm gonna have to do it myself If I don't want to pay for it...

Actually it's quite easy. Just need a remote that supports bulb mode with lock. Like MC-20/36, thereafter just clean normally. Make sure battery is full or at least 50% charged.

Last time I checked, NSC will not clean sensors for free, doesn't matter if the camera is under warranty. They even have a note on the counter saying so.

Yup. The time I went there for cleaning, they actually gave me a price for cleaning. So I prepare 25 or 30 dollars already (if I remember correctly). But when they return my camera (D7000) they did not take my money - they did not ask me to pay, they say ok already. i guess it's only a minor cleaning or something...

Last edited:
mirror up ..
point the blower up into the eye piece and blow hard and fast
does work