Thriftshopping for cameras in Singapore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leleleleon

Deregistered
Jul 26, 2017
Singapore
I've seen countless number of youtube videos of people copping good stuff from these kinda thrift shops. Now, I know in Singapore there aren't many of these shops but with prominent ones like Salvation Army, have you guys seen or know anyone who has copped stuff from thriftshops before? I've never visited a thriftshop in Singapore moreover know what they sell. Do leave your comments below if you have any experience!!

You have to go to such places regularly. I have seen some bargains like speakers but it is as-is basis. If repairs are needed, it can end up costing quite a lot more as well as time. Many of us won't want to go through such hassles.

Used to have sungei road but now closed

You have to go to such places regularly. I have seen some bargains like speakers but it is as-is basis. If repairs are needed, it can end up costing quite a lot more as well as time. Many of us won't want to go through such hassles.

ah i see... damn :( sucks to be limited in this tiny red dot.

Not that cheap though.

Carousell is actually ok, just that the better deals don't stay around for long. You can actually pick up some decent things with a little patience. Occassionally there will also be some really good deals like nikon FEs or canon af35mls going for less than the cost of a taxi ride. You do have to be either really lucky or spend a disproportionate amount of time browsing carousell though.

Another thing you can try if you have a knack for simple repairs (this doesn't really count as thriftshopping) is picking up some of the older mechanical SLRs to tinker with. Spotmatics are the best because they are very simple internally and usually it's just a dislodged spring, oxidised contact or gummed up mirror damping foam that's causing the problems on untested, non-working bodies. There's a little risk involved, but it's not that your losses are especially great either.

Status
Not open for further replies.