The definitive guide to Pentax hot shoe flashes and compatible 3rd-party options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

felixcat8888

May 8, 2005
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Sometime ago, I posted this in a thread, but unfortunately, I am not able to locate it.

Anyway, I will repost this for all to refer to.

The definitive guide to Pentax hot shoe flashes and compatible 3rd-party options.

http://pttl.mattdm.org/

P-TTL is Pentax's preflash-based through-the-lens flash metering system. It's used by all current and recent Pentax and Samsung digital SLR cameras to automatically obtain correct exposure for both camera-mounted flashes and wireless slave units. If you're interested in buying a Pentax-compatible flash, there are a lot of options to choose from. This site provides a comprehensive look at the different flash models available and explains in detail how they differ from one another.

There is a lot of information available here. Use the menu bar above or the side panel to get to specific information quickly, or just start reading right here.
Overview of Current Models

There are currently three hot shoe flashes made by Pentax which work with the P-TTL flash metering system, plus four from Metz, one from Sigma in two variations, seven from Promaster, and one generic Chinese-made model marketed under many different names in several variants.
Official Pentax Models

Pentax currently makes three hot shoe flash models:
AF200FG — a basic model with no advanced features; offers a little over three times the power of the built-in flash on the K10D or K2000/K-m, and about double that on the K20D, K200D, or new K-7. In the US, this flash is bundled in a kit with the K2000.
AF360FGZ — a much nicer flash available at a good price. Many advanced features; the most notable lack is a swivel head for bouncing from the ceiling in portrait orientation.
AF540FGZ — Pentax's top of the line model. Big and powerful, with the ability to connect an external power source for faster refresh times.

Pentax also makes a P-TTL ring flash for close-up work, the AF160FC. This is worth mentioning as part of the Pentax system, but since it's a specialty item it isn't covered on this site.
Samsung Rebadged Models

Samsung sells the Pentax AF360FGZ and the AF540FGZ as the SEF-36PZF and SEF-54PFZ. These do not appear to be currently available in the US, but are presumed to be functionally identical to their Pentax twins.
Metz Dedicated P-TTL and SCA Models

German flash maker Metz historically used a system of interchangeable modules to provide compatibility with various camera systems. They still make many models that use that system, including one hot shoe flash which works with P-TTL, but they now have three dedicated P-TTL flashes as well:

36 AF-4 — an entry-level flash with a few more tricks than the Pentax AF200FG and flash power about like the AF360FGZ. The Pentax version of this flash is very new and is just recently easy to find in US stores.
48 AF-1 — effectively a small upgrade from Pentax's AF360FGZ, with about 50% more power, a tilt/swivel head, and equivalent advanced functionality (plus a few unique features). Oddly, while the 48 AF-1 can function as an off-camera wireless slave it cannot act as a camera-mounted controller for other slaves.
54 MZ-4i — this model requires the SCA 3702 adapter module with firmware M2 or later. With that module, the 54 MZ-4i has features roughly equivalent to the 58 AF-1, but slightly less flash power. It also can't do Pentax's P-TTL wireless, but can act as part of Metz's own wireless auto flash system.
58 AF-1 — another completely-dedicated model, with more power and the longest list of features of any Pentax-compatible flash.

There is a slightly older version of the 54 MZ-4i without the i — the 54 MZ-4. The differences between the two primarily apply to Nikon and Olympus; for Pentax, they're interchangeable. This guide uses the name 54 MZ-4i simply because it's newer. The non-i version is currently much easier to find for sale.

Additionally, there are two module-based Pentax-compatible models not covered here: the 45 CL-4 and the top-of-the-line 76 MZ-5. These are "hammerhead"-style flashes, designed to mount on a flash bracket and connect via a cable (included with the 76 MZ-5 but not the 45 CL-4) to the shoe-mounted SCA 3702 adapter.

Metz also makes a P-TTL ring flash, the Mecablitz 15 MS-1, which operates as a wireless P-TTL slave (which would allow an on-camera controller to also control additional slaves).

The 48 AF-1 and 58 AF-1 modules feature a USB port for in-the-field firmware upgrades. (The current release for both models is 1.1, dated December 30, 2009.) The 36 AF-4 may need to be sent for factory service for compatibility upgrades to match future Pentax cameras. The 54 MZ-4i is upgradable via factory updates to the SCA module.

While Metz flashes are more expensive than their Pentax counterparts in the US, the reverse is often true in Europe.
Sigma Dedicated P-TTL Flashes

Sigma makes two almost-identical flash units:
EF-530 DG ST — relatively inexpensive, but powerful and capable.
EF-530 DG Super — adds wireless P-TTL, high-speed sync, better manual control, and a few more features.

Sigma's older EF-500 DG models are basically the same with about 10% less power. The older flashes flashes may need to be sent to Sigma for a free firmware upgrade for complete compatibility with current Pentax camera bodies. Without it, the EF-500 DG Super won't work in wireless mode with the K10D and newer. It's possible that the current Sigma flashes may need similar updates for future Pentax models, but they operate just fine out-of-the-box with the K20D and K200D.

Sigma makes a macro ring flash as well, the EM-140 DG, which can act as a wireless P-TTL controller.
Promaster Dedicated P-TTL and Module-based Models

Promaster makes a series of P-TTL compatible flashes, and also has a module-based line. The module-based models require the 5050DXR/PX digital flash module.
5250DX — a very simple module-based model with a tilt head and non-zooming reflector.
5550DX — still basic, but this module-based flash adds a tilt and swivel head.
5750DX — a more powerful module-based flash with a non-motorized zoom and a secondary reflector.
7200EDF — a basic P-TTL-dedicated model with a bit more power.
7400EDF— this P-TTL-dedicated model adds a motorized zoom (and a power increase).
7500EDF— and this P-TTL adds yet more power, a swivel head, and a secondary reflector.

As with the Sigma flashes, firmware upgrades must be performed at the factory.

Note: as of September 2009, it has been confirmed that the 7500EDF does not work properly with the Pentax K-7 camera body. An update is pending.

And Promaster also has a macro ring flash, the MacroLume TTL Digital. This is module-based, and uses the same modules as the 5000-series flashes. Promaster informs me that modules and flash units shipped from the warehouse after August 2008 have the proper codes to communicate with current Pentax dSLRs but that earlier copies may need to be sent in for an update.
Sakar and Look-Alikes, Under Many Names

There's also a "generic make" flash sold as the Sakar / Digital Concepts 952AF/PEN, Soligor DG-420 Z, Dörr DAF-42, and perhaps other names. The Vivitar DF400MZ, Bower SFD926P, and Praktica Exakta DPZ 38AF look similar but claim slightly smaller guide numbers. Given anecdotal reports that the Sakar / Digital Concepts model is somewhat underpowered, it's entirely possible that they are just being more honest — and in fact, some empirical testing indicates that the guide number is even lower than that.

The Opteka EF-600 DG Super looks very similar as well, but doesn't come in a Pentax version — and that one makes any even stronger claim about the guide number, which Opteka says is 45m at 85mm. (There's no relation to Sigma, despite the extremely similar naming scheme.) There's a model called the Lexus / Riva SB-3000AFP apparently sold exclusively in Singapore.

It's entirely possible that the only connection between all of these models is that they're made in the same factory in China — perhaps to varying specifications, or perhaps all from the same mold with different packaging. It appears that the maker is Icorp Enterprises of Hong Kong. The familiar appearance and specifications can be found on the page of products carrying Icorp's own "Tumax" brand, and the corporate web page says:

Most newer versions of this flash have P-TTL support, but older versions do not. I am not aware of a good way to tell which it will be without testing, and I don't think an upgrade is available. The Praktica / Exacta 38AF models are quite certainly all too old, and it seems likely that the Bower and Vivitar branded models (which appeared more recently) are all the new design. Soligor has confirmed that their model uses P-TTL.

Either way, they don't have high-speed sync or work as P-TTL optical wireless slaves.

Detailed Information

Continue on to read about features, flash power, or other flash details.

Last edited:
Can we make this into a "sticky" so that all who want to know about flash can look for it here?

Thanks.

I found this to be very useful when I wanted to purchase my flash and it help me in my choice.

Last edited:
great effort bro,very useful thread...Thanks:thumbsup:

This is good stuff!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
So much detail of External Flash...
Good for all who wants to know more the type of flash is able to use on a Pentax :lovegrin:
Thanks for your time and effort to create this list of External Flash thread.. :heart:
And stick this thread.... ;)

nice :thumbsup:

this is useful as I am thinking of getting a flash but not sure where to start

Can we make this into a "sticky" so that all who want to know about flash can look for it here?

Thanks.

I found this to be very useful when I wanted to purchase my flash and it help me in my choice.

Thanks Felix for the great effort, it's sticky now :)

Felix , U r really the master of flash ..... Thanks for sharing

This website is really very informative. I also came across this website that eventually helped me decide to get the Metz 48 AF-1. ;)

any shops to recommend to purchase af360? SLR quotes $356 w GST. Any better deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.