Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 vs Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 HSM

Which is better? IQ + Sharpness

Results are only viewable after voting.

I'd vote for the Tamron 28-75mm too. Used to own that piece of lens (BIM version), great IQ and decent AF speed (at least IMHO). Never had any issues with it when using on my D700. Focusing is quick under good lighting, struggles a little in dim conditions but not really that bad. Image quality is good, great center and edge sharpness wide open. Only reason i sold it away is because I moved into primes. :)

Override2Zion said:
I'd vote for the Tamron 28-75mm too. Used to own that piece of lens (BIM version), great IQ and decent AF speed (at least IMHO). Never had any issues with it when using on my D700. Focusing is quick under good lighting, struggles a little in dim conditions but not really that bad. Image quality is good, great center and edge sharpness wide open. Only reason i sold it away is because I moved into primes. :)

Sorry to mention something of less relevance. I was thinking if this old Nikon 24-85mm F/2.8-4 be a good upgrade to the tamron 28-75mm F/2.8?

I know it's an old lens and I'll probably only able to find them in 2nd hand market (Though TCW has 2 new copies but very ex)

I see it as an upgrade because firstly the focal range is larger, it's macro function is useful for last min close up needs when I don't have a macro lens and lastly, I experienced better TTL estimation when using a Nikon lens to a Nikon flash. And this will be the lens to use until I can afford a 24-70mm Nikon.

I do have the following to ask,

1. How fast & accurate is the AF? I know from reviews that it's noisy but I can live with that and my Tamron 28-75mm so much that I want to cry bad lighting (over or under)
2. How would this lens perform against the newer tamron or sigma lenses stated in this thread?
2. How expensive is this lens actually? I've seen people selling various prices on clubsnap and the cheapest I find is $500 from 2nd hand dealer.

GReddyZC76 said:

Yeah, I read thr this 2... Mr. Ken suggest getting the f/3.5-4.5 version in which I dun agree with... And $800+ (or $400+ upgrade) is not the amount I would spend.

Thanks.

I do not think it's a significant upgrade but it's definitely a super sharp piece of glass which was a beauty to use on my D700. I have greater faith in the screw-drives of the AFDs than the AFS/BIM types.

The significant upgrade you should look for is the AFS 28-70 if you can find a good copy or of course the AFS 24-70.

Sorry to mention something of less relevance. I was thinking if this old Nikon 24-85mm F/2.8-4 be a good upgrade to the tamron 28-75mm F/2.8?

I know it's an old lens and I'll probably only able to find them in 2nd hand market (Though TCW has 2 new copies but very ex)

I see it as an upgrade because firstly the focal range is larger, it's macro function is useful for last min close up needs when I don't have a macro lens and lastly, I experienced better TTL estimation when using a Nikon lens to a Nikon flash. And this will be the lens to use until I can afford a 24-70mm Nikon.

I do have the following to ask,

1. How fast & accurate is the AF? I know from reviews that it's noisy but I can live with that and my Tamron 28-75mm so much that I want to cry bad lighting (over or under)
2. How would this lens perform against the newer tamron or sigma lenses stated in this thread?
2. How expensive is this lens actually? I've seen people selling various prices on clubsnap and the cheapest I find is $500 from 2nd hand dealer.

gabond said:
I do not think it's a significant upgrade but it's definitely a super sharp piece of glass which was a beauty to use on my D700. I have greater faith in the screw-drives of the AFDs than the AFS/BIM types.

The significant upgrade you should look for is the AFS 28-70 if you can find a good copy or of course the AFS 24-70.

That would be too much for me le. I need a solution to my AF hunting issue and inaccurate TTL in a small cost.

The 24-70mm F/2.8 will be my end state when I can find customer sponsoring my gear :p

Cowseye said:
That would be too much for me le. I need a solution to my AF hunting issue and inaccurate TTL in a small cost.

The 24-70mm F/2.8 will be my end state when I can find customer sponsoring my gear :p

If I remember correctly, the TTL inaccuracy was a constant 1/3-2/3 stops over exposure in flash metering. You can take care of it by dialing your flash Ev down 1/3-2/3.

Last edited:
daredevil123 said:
If I remember correctly, the TTL inaccuracy was a constant 1/3-2/3 stops over exposure in flash metering. You can take care of it by dialing your flash Ev down 1/3-2/3.

Even if I use different flashes (SB-700 & 900), is the inaccuracy the same number of stops too?

Anybody knows where I could get a Tamron 28-75 in Singapore? And what would the price be like? I'm not really familiar with shops that sell third party lenses...

I would wait for the new Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 with VC.

Most stores that sell photographic equipment will carry this lens too. Just check if it's in stock.

Blur Shadow said:
Most stores that sell photographic equipment will carry this lens too. Just check if it's in stock.

Thanks. =)

UncleFai said:
I would wait for the new Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 with VC.

Haha but no one knows when it is coming out. Scully next year then available and TS lost interest in photography Liao, then how :p?

Anyway my thoughts is, source around for 2nd hand ones in B&S, and use it now. When the 24-70 comes out then sell it away lor.

As for price, last year when I checked with Parisilk Holland, it is $571. Resale should be $350-$450 range depends on condition

Recently just got myself a 2470 sigma hsm len n did few test on the sharpness, af noise/speed, built n bokeh with my cheap n good 2875 tamron.

i personally find the af n speed of the sigma is just slightly better than tamron. bokeh i can see any diff. though sigma feel more solid but i still prefer the tamron cause sigma coating on the len can come off quite easily.

last is the sharpness.i tried it handheld, i dont know why its not as sharp as tamron though i use shutter speed > focal length, but when i use tripod, both r on par.

end up i sold the sigma n keep my tamron.

Recently just got myself a 2470 sigma hsm len n did few test on the sharpness, af noise/speed, built n bokeh with my cheap n good 2875 tamron.

i personally find the af n speed of the sigma is just slightly better than tamron. bokeh i can see any diff. though sigma feel more solid but i still prefer the tamron cause sigma coating on the len can come off quite easily.

last is the sharpness.i tried it handheld, i dont know why its not as sharp as tamron though i use shutter speed > focal length, but when i use tripod, both r on par.

end up i sold the sigma n keep my tamron.

Actually your observations are correct. in a review I read years ago, the tamron is sharper and bokeh smoother.

actually i owned 2 2875mm(bim) but sold 1. from my experience, not all 2875 r the same, the other one is not as sharp n pic seems to be more yellowish.

the one im keeping is as sharp as my primes. though dxomark state that 50mm 1.4d1.8g/d n sigma 24-70 hsm have higher ,mega pixel count compare to 2875, but in real life i dont agree or see the diff.

wonder this 2875 is it as sharp as 247vc tamron?

actually i owned 2 2875mm(bim) but sold 1. from my experience, not all 2875 r the same, the other one is not as sharp n pic seems to be more yellowish.

the one im keeping is as sharp as my primes. though dxomark state that 50mm 1.4d1.8g/d n sigma 24-70 hsm have higher ,mega pixel count compare to 2875, but in real life i dont agree or see the diff.

wonder this 2875 is it as sharp as 247vc tamron?

2875 is very sharp in the center. The only archilles heel is the hesitant AF as well as inaccuracies in AF lock in lower lighted conditions.