Shortage of canon speedlite

Ag_surfer

Nov 1, 2003
Visit site
Hi, I havent been active in the forum or canon related recently. So I was helping my friend who is interested to get a flash. So I was asking around and there is hardly any stock of 6000ex-rt and even the 430ex3-rt is low in stock. Whats happening? is there a supply crunch? or they are discontinuing the current speedlite line-up?

Hi, flash for EF mount cameras?
Canon had since moved on to the mirrorless RF mount so the new flashes eg. EL400 and EL1 are dedicated mirrorless flashes and may not be compatible to old EF mount.

However there is EL100 which is compatible to all EOS cameras as it stated and the hotshoe contacts has the 5 point contacts . See pic of link. Canon sg website list price as $209. Take note it uses only 2 batteries
so it is not powerful but still better than on camera pop up flash.

Alternatively you can buy a number of Chinese clones that are functional with auto exposure or just manual. Although not identical as they are reversed engineered so no guarantee full functionality. Or buy used copies of old canon flashes on carousell but I do not recommend it as the zenon flash tubes would have aged and efficiency is in doubt not to mention colour temperature unless you can replace tube from AliExpress DIY. Only for diehard people.

Hi, I havent been active in the forum or canon related recently. So I was helping my friend who is interested to get a flash. So I was asking around and there is hardly any stock of 6000ex-rt and even the 430ex3-rt is low in stock. Whats happening? is there a supply crunch? or they are discontinuing the current speedlite line-up?

Hi, flash for EF mount cameras?
Canon had since moved on to the mirrorless RF mount so the new flashes eg. EL400 and EL1 are dedicated mirrorless flashes and may not be compatible to old EF mount.
Do you happen to have a few more details? We know that RF lenses cannot be adapted backwards, but EF lenses can be adapted to fit and function of RF mount cameras.
However there is EL100 which is compatible to all EOS cameras as it stated and the hotshoe contacts has the 5 point contacts . See pic of link. Canon sg website list price as $209. Take note it uses only 2 batteries
so it is not powerful but still better than on camera pop up flash.
EL - To my knowledge, the L indicates the usage of Lithium batteries. Canon has finally picked up what other manufacturers (Godox etc) have used already for years.
Alternatively you can buy a number of Chinese clones that are functional with auto exposure or just manual. Although not identical as they are reversed engineered so no guarantee full functionality. Or buy used copies of old canon flashes on carousell but I do not recommend it as the zenon flash tubes would have aged and efficiency is in doubt not to mention colour temperature unless you can replace tube from AliExpress DIY. Only for diehard people.
I wouldn't spend time on KRW, unless it's for amusement ... Godox and other brands offer proper support for Canon cameras and have nice wireless trigger solutions. If it's for more than the experimental snaps in the backyard I would skip Chinese knock off stuff and CarouHell.

Coming back to the initial question, KRW states:
The EL-100 uses Canon's E-TTL and Canon's E-TTL II flash control systems, which means it works on every Canon mirrorless camera, on every Canon DSLR and on most Canon 35mm EOS film cameras.
So yeah, this is what Canon users expect.

@Octarine, thank you for the query as I had to do more research.. haha. My bad for saying there might be incompatibilities of canon flashes with the R mount series cameras. Essentially the ex and the el flashes work the same as the 5 point contacts are used but canon have done some odd things like removing the sync pin that old manual flash use and more importantly the use of the multi function shoe seen in the R50 where the 5 pins are missing and replace with 21 pin inline contacts which necesitate the use of AD - E1 adapter shoe to use canon flashes. This ad - E1 is also needed for R3 to ensure that the hotshoe area is waterproofed. You are right about the lithium battery, canon was slow to adapt. Perhaps they had misgiving about reliability and safety of lithium battery.

386479581a6c4826a81ae3febec89232.jpeg

With regards your question about
Do you happen to have a few more details? We know that RF lenses cannot be adapted backwards, but EF lenses can be adapted to fit and function of RF mount cameras.

Yes EF lenses can be adapted to function on R bodies because at introduction canon did not have many native R mount lenses available. Conversely I think it is also possible to make RF lenses to work on EF bodies but that is not the intention of canon. It is Also not a trivial undertaking as can be seen here. Need technical know-how and tools to debug the communication protocol between camera and lens.

EL - To my knowledge, the L indicates the usage of Lithium batteries. Canon has finally picked up what other manufacturers (Godox etc) have used already for years.

I wouldn't spend time on KRW, unless it's for amusement ... Godox and other brands offer proper support for Canon cameras and have nice wireless trigger solutions. If it's for more than the experimental snaps in the backyard I would skip Chinese knock off stuff and CarouHell.

Coming back to the initial question, KRW states:

So yeah, this is what Canon users expect.

Last edited:
Did a bit of digging (just a bit). In short:
  • Some newer Canon Mirrorless cameras (example shows R50) come with 21-pin multifunctional hotshoe, only
  • Some cameras (example R8) come with both: 21-pin connector AND 5-pin hotshoe)
  • Canon introduced the AD-E1 adapter that allows 5-pin flashes to be used on 21-pin connectors.
  • All Canon DSLR and Mirrorless (and some SLR) support all 5-pin flashes for Canon with ETTL etc. (older cams have limitations)
  • Open question: How to get 21-pin flashes to work on 5-pin hotshoes?
Did I miss something?

Last edited:
Dear Sir, erm you did miss the underside pic of the AD - E1 . The fourth pic. As the name implies it is a multi function shoe as canon has accessories designed like microphone for video, etc . I don't think the metal plate will short out the 5 pins as they are recessed. I counted 14 contacts as far as my aging eyes can make out. :oops:

Screenshot_2023-03-24-16-16-50-112-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg

Did a bit of digging (just a bit). In short:
  • Some newer Canon Mirrorless cameras (example shows R50) come with 21-pin multifunctional hotshoe, only
  • Some cameras (example R8) come with both: 21-pin connector AND 5-pin hotshoe)
  • Canon introduced the AD-E1 adapter that allows 5-pin flashes to be used on 21-pin connectors.
  • All Canon DSLR and Mirrorless (and some SLR) support all 5-pin flashes for Canon with ETTL etc. (older cams have limitations)
  • Open question: How to get 21-pin flashes to work on 5-pin hotshoes?
Did I miss something?