RP+50f1.2 Or R6+Primes?

KChia86

Jan 23, 2014
Jurong West
Dear friends of clubsnap,
Currently I’m looking to upgrade my 6D as I need something with better AF for my active 2yo boy. Kept missing shots nowadays.
I currently have the EF 16-35f4 IS and EF 50 f1.8 stm. And oh I love using 50mm focal length for my everyday shoots but at the same time open to other focal length. Family photos, walkabout, gathering, etc, nothing professional but may help to take photos for mini company events as well.
With my budget of about about $4k plus, I figured down to the 2 following options:
1) Canon RP + RF 50mm f1.2
2) Canon R6 + RF 50mm f1.8 + others? (85mm f2, 35mm f1.8, 800mm, etc)
The question is can the RP eye focus perform for the toddler at f1.2? Front heavy for RP combo?
Is the 50MM f1.2 worth the money? Are there others lens worth looking at for my application?
Should I stretch my budget further to get something else? Like 28-70 f2? Should I hold my purchase till R6 mark 2 comes out?
Yes. I’m doing Canon only. I need my EF 16-35 f4.
No. Not looking at 24-105 f4 or 24-70 f2.8.
No. I don’t need 10 or 20 fps.

For advice and discussion!

Between the 2 choices that you stated. Choose > Canon R6 + RF 50mm f1.8 + others? (85mm f2, 35mm f1.8, 800mm, etc)

"Should I stretch my budget further to get something else?"
Yes.
Buy R5 and get Canon adapter to use with the EF 16-35f4 IS and EF 50 f1.8 stm, that you already own.

Reactions: An drew and KChia86
Dear friends of clubsnap,
Currently I’m looking to upgrade my 6D as I need something with better AF for my active 2yo boy. Kept missing shots nowadays.
I currently have the EF 16-35f4 IS and EF 50 f1.8 stm. And oh I love using 50mm focal length for my everyday shoots but at the same time open to other focal length. Family photos, walkabout, gathering, etc, nothing professional but may help to take photos for mini company events as well.
With my budget of about about $4k plus, I figured down to the 2 following options:
1) Canon RP + RF 50mm f1.2
2) Canon R6 + RF 50mm f1.8 + others? (85mm f2, 35mm f1.8, 800mm, etc)
The question is can the RP eye focus perform for the toddler at f1.2? Front heavy for RP combo?
Is the 50MM f1.2 worth the money? Are there others lens worth looking at for my application?
Should I stretch my budget further to get something else? Like 28-70 f2? Should I hold my purchase till R6 mark 2 comes out?
Yes. I’m doing Canon only. I need my EF 16-35 f4.
No. Not looking at 24-105 f4 or 24-70 f2.8.
No. I don’t need 10 or 20 fps.

For advice and discussion!
I am in a similar position as you. I got the RP with Tamron 17-35mm f/2,8-4 and Canon EF 50mm f/1,2L with control ring adapter.

The question is can the RP eye focus perform for the toddler at f1.2?
Usually I shoot at f/2. The mirrorless is more accurate and there is face + eye detection AF on RP

Front heavy for RP combo?
For EF + adapter is okay for me. maybe for RF 50mm maybe front heavy.

Is the 50MM f1.2 worth the money?
if you prefer 50mm FOV, think the RF50mm is worth the money.

Are there others lens worth looking at for my application?
Think there is not many other lens. what is the focal length you used most with the EF16-35mm ? You may want to consider say RF35mm or RF16mm

Should I hold my purchase till R6 mark 2 comes out?
the wait is never ending. if you can REALLY stretch it, I would recommend getting the R6 and RF 100-500mm to complement the EF 16-35mm and EF 50mm.

Reactions: KChia86
Between the 2 choices that you stated. Choose > Canon R6 + RF 50mm f1.8 + others? (85mm f2, 35mm f1.8, 800mm, etc)

"Should I stretch my budget further to get something else?"
Yes.
Buy R5 and get Canon adapter to use with the EF 16-35f4 IS and EF 50 f1.8 stm, that you already own.
Hi there! Thanks for sharing. But will like to ask any particular reason to spend all the budget for R5? The resolution?

I am in a similar position as you. I got the RP with Tamron 17-35mm f/2,8-4 and Canon EF 50mm f/1,2L with control ring adapter.

The question is can the RP eye focus perform for the toddler at f1.2?
Usually I shoot at f/2. The mirrorless is more accurate and there is face + eye detection AF on RP

Front heavy for RP combo?
For EF + adapter is okay for me. maybe for RF 50mm maybe front heavy.

Is the 50MM f1.2 worth the money?
if you prefer 50mm FOV, think the RF50mm is worth the money.

Are there others lens worth looking at for my application?
Think there is not many other lens. what is the focal length you used most with the EF16-35mm ? You may want to consider say RF35mm or RF16mm

Should I hold my purchase till R6 mark 2 comes out?
the wait is never ending. if you can REALLY stretch it, I would recommend getting the R6 and RF 100-500mm to complement the EF 16-35mm and EF 50mm.
Hi there! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! On you using RP’s focusing, so its eye AF is actually good enough for young active toddlers then? R6 will be lovely and definitely has a way better AF but it’s 2k more than an RP. Probably just need a decent enough AF for my needs. And that extra money can get me better L-series lenses. Truly agree with you that wait is never ending! Will look into that!

Reactions: Ah Keong
Hi there! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! On you using RP’s focusing, so its eye AF is actually good enough for young active toddlers then? R6 will be lovely and definitely has a way better AF but it’s 2k more than an RP. Probably just need a decent enough AF for my needs. And that extra money can get me better L-series lenses. Truly agree with you that wait is never ending! Will look into that!

Yes, I find that the eye AF and one shot AF is better on the RP compared to say 6D2 when using the EF lens such as 50mm f/1,2L.
For action shots like servo AF, think the R6 is better.

my 2 cents would be if you dont need action shots, I would spend the money on lens.
if you need, then gotta consider R6 or this (as of Sep2022) :

Hi there! Thanks for sharing. But will like to ask any particular reason to spend all the budget for R5? The resolution?

The camera body of R5 is significantly superior to RP or R6. It should be at the higher price.
Resolution is one of the factors.
The superiority of the camera body will be felt with ANY lens that you fit on the body.

Some one else did a comparison of the RF 50mm F1.8 vs the old EF 50mm F1.8 and he found the latter to be optically superior.
One person commented "According to Canon, the RF 50 1.8 is significantly softer than the EF 50 1.8 and RF 35 1.8."
So why buy some new lens that is inferior to another lens that you already own?

Compare RF 50mm F1.8 vs EF 50mm F1.8

Owning a RF 50mm F1.2L is only cost-justifiable if you plan to photograph subjects (most of the time) at F1.2 with this lens.
Otherwise if you shoot 80% of the photos at F5.6 with a RF 50mm F1.2L, you may ask {What is the point of spending all that money?}

Do note that Canon has (so far) not yet made a RF 50mm F1.4 lens. Maybe they are afraid it will cannibalize sales of the RF 50mm F1.2 L.

In the FD range Canon did make 50mm F1.8, F1.4, F1.2 and F1.2L.

In the EF range Canon did make 50mm F1.8, F1.4, and F1.2L.

Reactions: An drew
i am only using Eos R with 16-35mm and sometime 18-55mm on servo AF . both already can achieve very good result . dun need to spend on r6.

And oh I love using 50mm focal length for my everyday shoots but at the same time open to other focal length. Family photos, walkabout, gathering, etc, nothing professional but may help to take photos for mini company events as well.
Should I stretch my budget further to get something else? Like 28-70 f2?

Unless you are making money with the RF50 1.2, the cost cannot be justified. There are many other cheaper alternatives, e.g. use of adaptor with other lenses etc. I think many people are trying to tell you thing but in a gentler way.
If you keep missing shots, then a faster 1.2 will make it worse.
Try to spend less if you are not a professional as all these equipment depreciate very quickly.

As of now, the recommendations are off the mark, why? It's not the lens but the camera body's autofocusing capabilities, period!

You may make do with , R, RP, or R6 but the newly introduced R6 MK2 is way more better.

1. New 24mp sensor Vs old 20mp R6 MK1.

2. More sticky autofocus than R5 or R7.

3. Intelligent autofocus, now you just set it on auto plus eye.

4. No 30min time limit on video and no crop for 4K30. Although still slow mo on 120p 1080p.

5. Price significantly lower than R5. So buy once and buy right.

6: forgot to state: 40fps electronic shutter, fastest and highest in it's class not even Sony A1 can do it. So can capture any moment of your kid's action..haha. Pro tip, fire in short bursts and reduce to 20 or 15fps in order not to fill the buffer so you can shoot longer waiting for right moment. ( That is you don't hold down shutter button until buffer fill up and then have to wait for it to clear as it is still using SD card speed ).

Cons, only 6 assignable buttons but you are not a pro or even can work around this limitation.

Ps your kids not as fast as those feathered friends right?

Last edited:
Reactions: An drew