Ricoh Theta V has landed

rty

Staff member
Jan 19, 2002
Singapore
The recently launched Ricoh Theta V 360 degree camera has landed on our Singapore shore!

Please watch this space for the upcoming review. Here is the unboxing video.

[video=youtube_share;foPic7WVCFI]https://youtu.be/foPic7WVCFI[/video]

Specifications:

Object distance:

• Approx. 10cm - infinity (from front of lens)
Shooting mode:
  • Still image: Auto, shutter priority, ISO priority, manual
  • Video: Auto
  • Live streaming: Auto
Exposure control mode:

• Program AE, Shutter speed priority AE, ISO sensitivity AE, Manual exposure
Exposure compensation:
  • Still image: Manual compensation (-2.0 - +2.0EV, 1/3EV step)
ISO sensitivity:

• Still image: (Automatic) ISO64 - 1600
  • (ISO priority mode) ISO64 - 3200
  • (Manual mode) ISO64 - 3200
  • Video: ISO64 - 6400
  • Live streaming: ISO64 - 6400
White balance mode:

• Still image: Auto, Outdoor, Shade, Cloudy, Incandescent light 1, Incandescent light 2, Daylight color fluorescent light, Natural white fluorescent light, White fluorescent light, Light bulb color fluorescent light, Color Temperature (2500 K to 10000K),
  • Video: Auto
  • Live streaming: Auto
Shutter speed:
  • Still image: (Automatic) 1/25000 - 1/8 seconds,
Shutter priority mode) 1/25000 - 1/8 seconds
Manual mode) 1/25000 - 60 seconds​

• Video: 1/25000 - 1/30 seconds
  • Live streaming: 1/25000 - 1/30 second
Shooting functions:

• Noise reduction
  • DR correction
  • HDR rendering
  • Interval shooting
  • Shooting with self-timer
  • Shooting with multi brackets
Recording medium:
  • Internal memory: Approx. 19GB
Number of photos that can be recorded, time:

• Still image: Approx. 4,800 photos
  • Video (time per recording): Max. 5 minutes/25 minutes
  • Video (total recording time): Approx. 40 minutes (4K, H.264)
approx. 130 minutes (2K, H.264)​
Power source: Lithium ion battery (built in)
Battery life:
  • Still image: Approx. 300 photos
  • Video: Approx. 80 minutes
Compression method:

• Still image: JPEG (Exif Ver2.3)
  • Video: MP4 (Video: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, H.265,
  • Audio: AAC-LC (mono) + Linear PCM (4ch spatial audio))

• Live streaming: (Video: H.264, Audio: AAC-LC (mono))
External interface:
  • Micro-USB: USB 2.0, microphone terminal
Remote release: CA-3-compatible
Exterior/external dimensions:
  • 45.2 mm (W) x 130.6 mm (H) x 22.9 mm (17.9 mm *5) (D)
Weight: Approx. 121 g
Lens configuration:
  • 7 elements in 6 groups
Lens_F value: F2.0
Image sensor_size: 1/2.3 CMOS (x2)
Effective pixels:
Approx. 12 megapixels (x2)
Still image resolution:
  • 5376×2688
Video resolution/frame rate/bit rate:

• 4K, H264: 3840×1920/29.97fps/56Mbps
  • 4K, H265: 3840×1920/29.97fps/32Mbps
  • 2K, H264: 1920×960/29.97fps/16Mbps
  • 2K, H265: 1920×960/29.97fps/8Mbps
Live streaming resolution/frame rate (USB):

• 4K, H264: 3840×1920/29.97fps/120Mbps
  • 2K, H264: 1920×960/29.97fps/42Mbps
Wireless LAN transfer speed (WLAN, MAX)

• 2.4GHz, 3mm: 20Mbps
  • 2.4GHz, 10mm: 10Mbps
  • 5GHz, 3mm: 50Mbps
  • 5GHz, 10mm: 10Mbps
Wireless communication protocol (WLAN):

• HTTP (Open Spherical Camera API compatible)
Wireless communication protocol (Bluetooth):

• GATT (Generic Attribute Profile)

Source: https://theta360.com/en/about/theta/v.html

Click on the image to view the 360 degree version

For those who are familiar with Theta S and Theta SC, I imagine the first question that comes to mind when Ricoh launched the new Theta V last month would be “what are the improvements?” So, let us jump directly and talk about the improvements. In my opinion, the ones that worth mentioning are namely 4K video, bigger internal memory (19GB which is 8GB more than its predecessor), HDR mode, four built in microphones, and one microphone input.

If your main focus is on taking videos and you wish to record spatial sounds, chances are you will be utterly happy with Theta V.

On the other hand, if you are the current owner of Theta S or SC and you are like me who only care about taking still images, Theta V may fall short from your expectation. There’s no noticeable improvement on still image quality. They have the same quality and image resolution as its predecessor, Theta S and SC. Therefore, current owners of either Theta S or SC who care only about still images, read no further and save your money.

The firmware of Theta V is now based on Android. I understand as of the time of this writing, the firmware is still pretty much work in progress. It has bluetooth and option to select between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz for WiFi connection that is supposed to improve the transfer time, but unfortunately the connection to my phone is rather unstable. The range is practically very limited to three meters (five if you are lucky). Hopefully Ricoh come up with the firmware fix soon.

On image stitching part, Theta V is also as good as its predecessors. No issue is detected. Unlike some other brands, there is no annoying visible seam-line and no exposure inconsistencies between the two lens. I must say again that in this area, Ricoh is probably still the best in the market as of today.

thetaplus_20170927105318071.jpg

A photo taken with Theta V set to HDR rendering mode. Framed and extracted using Theta+ app.

See the review of Theta S and Theta SC, the predecessors of Theta V:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1650206&p=9407831&viewfull=1#post9407831

Update: Nov 4, 2017. HDR mode
$thetaplus_20171104191114033.jpg
Click on the image to view the 360 degree version

Last edited:
May I ask can you adjust EV compensation in Video Mode like you can in Photo mode on the new Theta V?

Unfortunately, GoPro has won the best 360 camera award this time round, with their Go Pro Fusion which is to be sold from November onwards.
https://shop.gopro.com/cameras/fusion/CHDHZ-101.html

5k 30fps 360 video, 3k 60fps 360 video, in-built image stabiliser, 360 surround sound recording, 5 metres depth waterproofing without the need for casing.

Although it's more expensive at $1,050, I will choose and buy the GoPro Fusion over the new Ricoh Theta V when it is launched.

====
Btw, I have been using the Ricoh Theta S for over a year already, and the still image quality of the Theta V is the same level as the Theta S. Video wise, of course the Theta V will be better than Theta S, but the sample videos I have seen so much doesn't show much significant improvements.

All in all, Ricoh Theta V will be a disappointment for Ricoh this time round.

May I ask can you adjust EV compensation in Video Mode like you can in Photo mode on the new Theta V?

Under the latest firmware (version 1.00.2), EV can only be adjusted for taking still images, not for video. Here is the screen shot of the Android phone app that controls the Theta V in video shooting mode.

Je77aB

Btw, I have been using the Ricoh Theta S for over a year already, and the still image quality of the Theta V is the same level as the Theta S. Video wise, of course the Theta V will be better than Theta S, but the sample videos I have seen so much doesn't show much significant improvements.

All in all, Ricoh Theta V will be a disappointment for Ricoh this time round.

But for those who love taking videos, Ricoh Theta V with 4K video and spatial sound features will make them happy campers, especially performing artists who want to record their performance with spatial sound like this Youtube post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d7xDSENKu8

Ricoh even makes a special 3D sound microphone for Theta V: https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/index.php/accessories/theta-22/ta-1

Last edited:
What about the stitching software provided?

I find that the current Ricoh Theta software reduce the actual quality of the video by quite a fair bit of auto stitch and rendering which is quite frustrating.

What about the stitching software provided?

I find that the current Ricoh Theta software reduce the actual quality of the video by quite a fair bit of auto stitch and rendering which is quite frustrating.

A new firmware version 1.10.1 was released yesterday Oct 24, 2017 which improves the image joining accuracy and still image quality (by modifying the compression ratio).. Go get it: https://theta360.com/en/support/download/firmware/v/