Recommendations on used mft body

osirisx

May 29, 2023
I'm looking for a budget camera as I've got a few mft lenses, my last e-pl6 died due to the rain.

Would used OM-D E-M1 MK1 be a decent buy? I understand it has weather sealing, cons is the subpar video mode.

Or any recommendations, open to other formats too.

Please list your video requirements, budget and expectations. What kind of video will you be shooting?

If you are more geared towards video, then those Panasonic/Lumix would be a gem. But that also depends on the lenses you own. Olympus cameras have a limitation on the video. I think only the latest few have longer video capabilities.

Please do give what's your video requirements and lenses that you have.

BTW, that Em1mk1 have a magenta hue when in extreme low light.

Please list your video requirements, budget and expectations. What kind of video will you be shooting?
If you are more geared towards video, then those Panasonic/Lumix would be a gem. But that also depends on the lenses you own. Olympus cameras have a limitation on the video. I think only the latest few have longer video capabilities.

Please do give what's your video requirements and lenses that you have.

BTW, that Em1mk1 have a magenta hue when in extreme low light.
I'm actually more geared towards photos, video wise ...short video taking perhaps for my trips overseas.

I've seen videos on YouTube of walking tours / hikes, but I reckon a DJI might be better suited for that?

I'll need in-body stabilization, hence looking at Olympus instead of Lumix.
Weather sealing is also a criteria, last camera died due to water.

Lens wise
M.zuiko 40-150mm 1:4-5.6R
M.zuiko 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6R
TT artisan 17mm f1.4

Still a beginner picking up this hobby, was looking at a used EM1 MK1 ($350) the other day. Open to stretching the budget if there is a marked improvement.

Not sure if filter will help with the magenta hue,? I've got a bluish night filter for cutting down yellow cast.

Still a beginner picking up this hobby, was looking at a used EM1 MK1 ($350) the other day. Open to stretching the budget if there is a marked improvement.

Not sure if filter will help with the magenta hue,? I've got a bluish night filter for cutting down yellow cast.

Em1 mk 1 low light magenta hue could be adjusted by video editing I think.

Personally if I had to spend $350 and I want to do video then em1 MK1 (only 1080p had ) would not be a good choice, sure it would do stills photography. Even if you had the money for em1 MK2. The video low light performance is kind of disappointing from this video. Note the g85 is Panasonic m43 and A6500 is Sony apsc sensor.

Or you could think about the older em5 Mk2 , a video centric camera ,weather sealed but only 1080p hd video only. Body can be had for $500 used. Slower autofocus .

Last edited:
I'm actually more geared towards photos, video wise ...short video taking perhaps for my trips overseas.

I've seen videos on YouTube of walking tours / hikes, but I reckon a DJI might be better suited for that?

Yes DJI drone is nice as a b roll camera as it can be programmed to follow you as you walk ,cycle or drive.

I'll need in-body stabilization, hence looking at Olympus instead of Lumix.
Weather sealing is also a criteria, last camera died due to water.

What makes you think Lumix does not have in-body-stabalisation? :) Lumix gx8 Panasonic top of the line compact camera then, is weather sealed, got a 20mp sensor ( same sensor as gh5 ) and shoot 4k video too. If you are lucky to find a body at $400 used.See carousell listings. It also has 5 axis ibis but it's autofocus is the infamous dfd type ( depth from defocus, do note that Olympus also uses contrast detect except for em1 series cameras ). Panasonic has since adopted phase detect in S5 MK2 fullframe. Truth be told gx8 has better video features as Panasonic is known for like zebras and false colour for highlight exposure warning and much more. Check out this video comparatively em1 MK2 vs gx8.
Ps don't touch the gx9 as it is not weather sealed.

Lens wise
M.zuiko 40-150mm 1:4-5.6R
M.zuiko 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6R
TT artisan 17mm f1.4

Both Olympus kit lenses can be used but in low light TT artisan would be useful as it is F1.4 but manual focus. So rather than go all the way to em5 mk3 or em1 MK3 ( there's a listing in carousell for $1200 now) the money saved could be used to get a more video centric lens. It's really your choice.

Last edited:
I had the GX8 and sold to a buddy as he needed for video. I mainly use EM1 MKIII and a Pen-F. Lenses are Panasonic Leica 42.5mm F2.8, Panasolic Leica 25mm F1.4II, Olympus 45mm F1.2, Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 and Olympus 12-100mm F4.

The
Trista00230 copy.jpg
GX8 is a great camera to use in rain too.